Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

cam advise please

4K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  rc4man 
#1 ·
I am considering a cam for my 04 Road rod with 30,000 on it. I have a Power commander, D&D 2 into 1...and K&N filter.
I would line some suggestions on a cam fot this bike.... what would you run???

#9 ·
Thats correct, if you determine differently please let us know.

#8 ·
i see where you went wrong , you asked the dealer first.... never, never,never and i mean never ask a dealership anything about a vrod. always ask here first and go into there with the right info... here is what you want part #30076-09 the screaming eagle stage II cam kit. and yes they will fit your vrod

#15 ·
I think you can be street able but for that much power reliability is gonna become a question. I think a good 1,300 or 1350 would be a good street able big bore size. I know some of you guys are running the 1402 with good results. I think you should shoot for a more reachable and reliable number. Lets say 140 thats very reachable and should be very reliable. I'm running right at this number with a stock 1250 bore with stage 2 cams, bigger 58mm TB, bigger injectors, se air filter, v&h comp 2-1. I have 12,000 miles on this setup and runs flawless. I run mid-length velocity stacks to keep the torque good thru the entire rpm range. I have to say that I ride alot 2 up on the bike and these mods absolutely are worth the install on NA bike. I can cruise this bike as low as 30 MPH in 5th gear. I get right at 175 miles to the tank. I'm very happy with the cams as they really woke this motor up. Besides with 165hp how much of that are you actually gonna be using 95% of the time.

#12 ·
If you're using the Road Rod for touring, I hear the Stage IIs won't give you gas mileage.. it's primarily a race cam.

To answer the 165 hp question, how as it obtained?

#13 ·
i'm still getting 150-160 miles pr tank of fuel with SE II cams. those cams "wake up" at 4,500-5,000 rpms up to the red line so if you are staying out of the cams "wake up" power band you will be fine for milage, As for 160+ HP thats a major stretch. I seen 145 hp with the rev limiter pushed beyond 9,000 but thats about it. Depending on what Dyno i'm on I am in the 128-135 hp range and my limiter is @ 9,000

#14 ·
I can say it's very streetable at 150HP, but that took a 1402 motor and SE II cams. If you are talking about a NA motor you'd be getting on the short side of reliable in that range (IMHO). You'll either be going to bigger pistons or an even longer stroke, and both have seen some reliability issues. Now if you turbo it with a mild engine upgrade (and def. NOT SE II cams!) you might see it and have it be reliable. Rod (Member RSC) is the turbo king around here. Lane (Member Lane) can tell you each and every one of a turbo'd bikes limits :D

#18 ·
So basically what I got out of all this is if I intend on a supercharger, do not supercharge with stage 2 cams. Why is that? That doesn't seem like its pushing the engine too much. What about 58mm throttle bodies? Are they ok to run with a supercharger? I'm pretty much done cosmetically with the bike so now it's time to soup it up.

maybe i need to approach my question this way. what can i do performance wise with a supercharger? headwork? stage II cams? 58mm throttle bodies? 26t pulley? are there other options ( i dont mean a turbo or big bore)?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

#19 ·
Assuming the original cam is competent (and it does seem to be) all another one can do is move the power around the rev range. Presumably you have a Road Rod for sports touring, and all the aftermarket cams are designed to move the power up the rev range (which of course means more of it). So... Why do you want another cam?

I haven't got them, but the Harley stage II cams seem very competent. You'll get more top end performance at the expense of the midrange. If that's what you want.

:2cents:

#20 ·
Supercharger, ie. forced induction, basically negates the need for more radical cams and larger TB's.

The reason for those mods is to put more charge into the cyclinder which a SC or TC do naturally.

Typically for an otherwise stock engine a good SC or TC install provides some of the most HP with the least additional wear of engine components than radical cams, and an engine that doesn't run finicky at low RPM's

#21 ·
^^ Here's your explanation. The SE II CAMS have a long duration and a lot of overlap - so with forced induction you're going to essentially just push more of your charge right out the exhaust before you compress it. Take a look at some of what Jan-Dirk has done, using only stock cams. With cam timing and some creativity you can build a great top end for an FI motor with no more than stock cams.

EDIT: I'd also add that (IMHO!) a big bore motor puts more charge into the cylinder "Naturally", there's nothing at all natural about a blower ! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.