Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Big Bore vs Turbo = I have no idea!!!

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  FABSTER 
#1 ·
Hello fellow V-Roders, I have a 02 A so it is 1130cc (9K miles). I have done just about all the cosmetic stuff I wanted in the last year, now its time to tinker with the engine. I will start by saying, im very much a NOOB in the mechanical realm. So I have attempted to do as much research using the forum as I can but im at a point where its not making sense which direction to go. First off, I am almost certain I want to get the bike up to at least 1250cc. From what I can tell that takes the Big Bore kit which is basically no longer around. Does anybody still do the BB kits? If so, any help of where I can track one down would be helpful (and for a reasonable price would be great as well). I would also be interested in going up and above that if the right kit was available but probably not over 1400cc as I do ride it daily in the summer. Secondly, should I just scrap the BB idea and go straight turbo (Trask)? The price 5K is quite the investment but would be willing to do it if it was more reliable and got me good of performance (speed) vs BB. Third question is if I got it BB (to say 1250) then Turbo'd it...would I have a bunch of performance issues? Saw a thread where a guy blew the motor up but im sure many on here have bought later model bikes and gave them the turbo. Im not asking which is better but looking to see what I should realistically expect beacuse again, im cluesless. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated!!!

#2 ·
1. Talk to Scott Fitzgerald (OhioVRod) about big bores
2. $5k for the turbo is less than you'll spend for any decent big bore if you don't do the motor work yourself
3. 1250CC + Turbo is reliable, but the cost to bore out your 1130 if you're only going to 1250 isn't worth it.

#3 ·
Well to start off I believe I heard that the BB Kits from HD have expired, at less that's what I thought I heard. Now ohioVrod aka Scott does machine for big boring, as well as BB engine builds. Honestly I don't know it would be worth the money to just step up to the 1250. For that we are looking at machining, sleeves and pistons. Which you would have to tear down the engine anyways. At that time you might as well step up and go at less 1300 I would say. When I did mine I went to the 1350 because of money, if I had to do it over, and I still might I would go to the 1402 that alot of the guys are running on here now as daily drivers.

Granted going BB is expensive, most of the time more so then slapping the turbo on the side is. The turbo is almost always going to make more power for cheaper with these bikes. If you only went with the 1250 BB and didn't do any kinda of cam's then it would be no different then the 08-newer slapping a turbo on their bikes as they start at the 1250 size.

I was in your boat this time last year except I was doing all the cosmetic with the engine build as well. I knew going with the big bore I would be giving up some horsepower, but I liked the cleaner look of the BB without anything else added to the bike. Plus the turbo wouldn't work with my mid pegs so that had a role to play as well. Mainly you need to decide 1) How much you want to be :broke: 2) If you like the look of one verse the other do you mind the turbo hanging on the side of your bike? I wish you luck on your decision....

:popcorn

#4 ·
Hummmm

#5 ·
Ok so sounds like a simple BB kit is out as they don't make them anymore. So that leaves turbo or going with the BB thru someone like Fitzgeralds. I think im leaning towards the BB as I have said, the cosmetics do matter to me. Does anyone else that is part of the forum do this sort of work? Also does it make a difference for what I go up to in CC's in regards to price? So for instance, if I go up to say only 1350, is there a real price difference than going all the way to 1400cc (which im thinking I may as well do if im gonna spend the money to have it done anyways.)?

#8 ·
Do your own research.

read as much as you can and learn whart is all involved and then compare prices and see where you stand!

#9 ·
Stroker turbo on stock bore 1228 cc I believe is a nasty combination 1/4 overstroke on stock crank 700.00 k1 rods ,CP piston,better valves and spring,bigger injectors, 10.5 compression on 12lbs boost is a beast ,oh yea and a better second gear. My 1130 on stock stroke and 16 lbs will beat most liter bikes to 160 mph and 600 ain't even a contest ,can't wait for all my parts to come in Fitzgerald said anyday getting anxious.

Sent from my C771 using Motorcycle.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.