Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Uh-Oh..........

3K views 42 replies 24 participants last post by  Shoe 
#1 ·
7 years, 107k miles and over $21k saved in fixes only 3 days remain on my best friend, "The Extended Warranty......"

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I got one when I got my 09AW back last May - based on your recommendations. I have not had to use it yet - I got the tire and wheel warranty as well. This warranty was for 4
years unltd mileage as I had a huge credit when I traded the RK. I've always considered the Ext Warr a good move. And based on your 22k worth of work - I'd say it is an excellent ROI.

Get another bike and start all over again would be my recommendation to you. I know how much you like the muscle/(sarc )so you could start there. Personally they are growing on me.

#6 ·
i've been a believer in extended warranty's, i'll be damned if i'll make payments AND pay to fix it.

#13 ·
i'll be damned if i'll make payments AND pay to fix it.
By buying the extended warranty you HAVE paid to fix it but just NOT a large amount.......:)

#7 ·
Only extended warranty I have ever used was on my second Xbox 360. First one also fried but no warranty on that one.

#9 ·
Well if you don't know how to turn a wrench and your out there hitting the rev limiter and missing shifts. I guess the extended warranty pays for itself. Other then that these revolution motors are so reliable it's really a waste of money that could have been used for plugs, oil, tires and gas. In 4 years other than adding stuff to the bike It's never left me stranded. The only time HD has serviced my bike was the 5K which left me 1/2 a quart short on oil and missing both valve caps on my wheels which were under inflated when I got home.

#11 ·
True, I bought this bike without ever sitting on a motorcycle before in my life, I saw it on TV in 2004 and couldn't get it out of my mind. Found one on Cycle Trader in TX after months of looking locally (its funny to show up to a house to look at a bike and they ask "You want to test ride?" and I say "I have no idea how to ride thanks anyways, one time I showed up at a very nice house and John Schneider of The Dukes Of Hazard answered the door) and all I KNew was it needed to be a 2002 and have extended warranty because I had no idea how to do anything, took 20 minute to figure out how to get to the fuel. During the 1st 2 years I went to every dealership in my area (5) and they all lacked any idea or ambition to learn how to work on this bike (This is when I found this forum and Max, RJ and many more very knowledgable people taught me, walked me through and where very patient with me and taught me how to work on the bike) I was lucky enough to find a Warranty Certified Indie shop in Huntington Beach, who also raced his Destroyer in the AHDRA so he knows the bike inside out and have only gone there since.

Aren't the first two years warranty? Out of $22K,how much was spent on fixes first two years (2002-2004)?
I bought it used in 2005, all I knew when I did was that it had to be a 2002 and a warranty because I knew nothing about MC's

#12 ·
So far the ESP has paid for itself. I have two years left. I have had several fork repairs under ESP, new swingarm bushing and bearing when the bushing wore out, a couple of alternator re-seals, a couple of electrical problems due to wires rubbing and shorting. Given what I know now I would buy it again, no question.

#25 ·
How many miles do you average on your bike yearly?

#14 ·
7 years, 107k miles and over $22k saved in fixes only 3 days remain on my best friend, "The Extended Warranty......"

Far out 22k in repairs say's lemon to me!No wonder you bought a Triumph.

#30 ·
I never noticed that before, I didnt pay anything, maybe its what he turns in to the warranty co to get his money back?
To be fair the 1st tranny swap I had not known of this shop and went to a local dealership instead, They installed it wrong and it blew again within 10,000 miles, luckily the warranty co covered it again with a new shop instead of making me go back to the shitty one to fix their screw up.
Was the second shop an independent shop?

And are you going to keep your bike - surely you will "own" the record for highest mileage if you do.

#20 ·
7 years, 107k miles and over $22k saved in fixes only 3 days remain on my best friend, "The Extended Warranty......"

Far out 22k in repairs say's lemon to me!No wonder you bought a Triumph.
Not sure if breaking down $22K's worth is lucky. :angeldev:

VANITY FAIR?????? :cupcake
You do know u need to pull the clutch in when u change gears Luxo !!

You must have a Friday afternoon build bike.
Two observations:
1. The missing paint should have been a giveaway that it was a lemon.
2. If you read vanity fair, you should probably buy an extended warranty for your Harley.
:D

#22 ·
#39 ·
Extended warranty

I do not know about Harley but some company extended warranties are just an insurance company and not always associated with the original, in the this case Harley. Is Harley the insurer or is it an independent company. I purchased one on a car once and when troubles occurred it was an independent company. I did not know if Harley did own financing and insuring.

#41 ·
From what I've read you can buy an extended warranty package that will cover your bike for 7 years. This summer I saw a flyer at Seacoast HD that stated for $2500 they'd warranty a new bike for 10 years and it was transferable to the next new bike if you traded in, but not to a new owner if you sold it out right. I guess that's a good way to keep a customer base. So for $250 a year you get free oil changes and maintenance and free towing and free roadside assistance. Every time the bike breaks it'll cost you a flat $50 no matter what the repairs amount to. Like every thing else insurance related your just rolling the dice. I personally don't trust anyone to wrench on my bike I've seen way to many telephone call loose bolts coming from the dealerships to trust them.

Just to give you a couple examples: A customer at Gulf Coast HD was having a custom paint package installed on his SG. When he went to pick up his bike which he was planning on going to Sturgis on, he took the right turn out of the dealership and his left bag and crash bar ended up on the street.

I was up at Sea Coast and the service tech rode a RG up to the customer pickup spot. I asked him, "Are you going to let the owner ride away on that"? I handed him a pencil tire gauge I always have in my vest and he checked the front tire. It was at 28 psi.

You'll find that most of the mechanics are MTTI graduates and while they are trained they are certainly not experienced.

#43 ·
Lux,
I know how you feel. I sure miss having the assurance of a warranty if something major goes wrong. If you can re-up the warranty, go for it (but I was told HD will usually verify milage before renewing a warranty). I made sure to have as much fixed as I could, just before the warranty ran out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.