Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

lower frame rail compatibility

17K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  quadgod 
#1 ·
I posted this in the vrscb forum but figured it was more appropriate in this one. I dumped my 08 vrscdx last weekend and have to replace the lower right frame portion(The part that the peg and rear brake pedal connect to) I was wondering if anyone knows whether the frame sections from the 05 vrscb model are compatible with my 08 vrscdx? I've looked for cross referencing sites on the web, called the stealership, as well as other parts web sites and no luck. The part numbers are identical except for the last 2 digits which are 05 and 08 obviously representing the year. Can anyone please help?

The part number i'm trying to put on my bike is 47988-05BK.
The part number for the "exact" replacement is 47988-08BK.

The bottom line is i'm trying to save a few bucks by not going to the stealership. I would greatly appreciate any help.

#2 ·
...I was wondering if anyone knows whether the frame sections from the 05 vrscb model are compatible with my 08 vrscdx?
...The part numbers are identical except for the last 2 digits which are 05 and 08 obviously representing the year. Can anyone please help?

The part number i'm trying to put on my bike is 47988-05BK.
The part number for the "exact" replacement is 47988-08BK.

...I would greatly appreciate any help.
P/N 47988-05BK is an '06 & '07 part (the '04 & '05 P/N is 47988-04BK). These are both right lower frame rails painted black and will fit a VRSCDX (as well as a VRSCAW or VRSCX except the color is wrong).

P/N 47988-08BK is also a right lower frame rail painted black and fits the VRSCDX and VRSCF (this P/N is used from '08 to '11, the '12 P/N is 47988-12BK).

I'm not sure what the difference in these three P/N is, maybe a different paint was used. All should work for a VRSC model with forward controls and black frame.

#4 ·
Can anyone help me?
I dumped my 2012 vrscdx last weekend and have to replace the lower left frame rails (the part that the peg and shifter is connected to) I was wondering if anyone knows where I can order new or used frame rails for my 2012 vrscdx without going to dealer?
Any information is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

#8 ·
The '12 P/N is 47988-12BK.

This is different to the earlier <2011 parts in that the sockets for the forward controls pivot shafts are different.

I looked at buying the 12 model reduced reach components but they will not fit my 11 or earlier models. They have a bolt that runs right through the pivot shaft lengthways and is threaded into the frame.

#10 ·
Well spotted It will still be the same issue with the 11 and earlier model pivots not fitting the 12 model frame rails though.

#12 ·
On all models prior to 2012, the forward control shafts that the brake and gear levers pivot on will not fit into the 2012 frame rails.

#14 ·
If you read post 2 someone asks what the difference is between the 3 part numbers and comparability. This was the original post.

#15 ·
stever975 it was you who suggested all 3 part numbers were the same.

They're not.

#18 ·
I know this is an old post but same thing happened to me the other week after it rained and the old lady was on the back, coming around turn and hit a real slick spot while approaching a light. needless to say want to get the bike back up and running but need to make sure any part will fit, prefer black and I have forward controls

#27 ·
Consider a welding repair first,if not, try to locate a rail section.The only difference between all year right rails are a mounting tab for the rear brake master cylinder.If you need tab for your application and can't find one,consider cutting off the tab from your old one & welding on new one.If yours has no tab & you locate one with a tab-no problem- just don't use tab or cut it off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.