Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

HELP with codes and diagnostics, bike dumped on me while riding... >=-(

11K views 60 replies 17 participants last post by  FABSTER 
#1 ·
OK here is the story, bike was working perfectly but yesterday it really went bananas and ended up behaving like a POS...

I left home and like a mile after I stopped to refill gas. After leaving the gas station I cranked the throttle and noticed it reacted funny, almost like hitting the rev limiter even if the RPMs where still low.

Kept riding and taking up the highway I cranked the throttle and noticed it reacted funny again, sometimes it revved up properly and sometimes it felt like if I had downshifted...

All of a sudden it starts stuttering like having a charge problem or something and then dies while riding... I parked to the side and tried to restart the bike to no avail. Since I was like 10 miles from home, my Wife came in the car and we jumped the bike for a LONG period before it started. Tried to ride it but it behaved like a total POS so I stopped shortly and had the bike towed home by a friend.

First impression was the battery was fried and giving problems, hence it didnt had enough charge to keep the bike's vital functions while operating, but after charging it with the tender and firing up the bike a couple times, it still behaves like crap, sometimes not firing at all.

1) First thing I notice is that after revving it, it revs down in a slowly fashion independent of the TB butterflies closing: for example, the butterflies close completely and the engine is still revving down slowly.

2) Even when the tach is not working, I can monitor the RPMs with the shift light and it shows to be in 1,200 RPMs when it stays fired, which is the normal reading.

Bike is a 2005 VRSCSE, the display shows PSSPt, which I understand refers to

P= ECM
S= TSM/TSSM
SP= Speedometer
t= tachometer

After checking the diagnostic codes (first time for me) and clearing them up, I got these readings:

P= nonE / Pn 127 P001-0
S= nonE / Pn 68922-00C
Sp= b1004 / End / Pn 74480-05
t= no rSP

Ok, as you can see I'm new to this so that's why I listed everything. :hidesbeh:

In the big picture what I can interpret is:

1) "b1004" which according to the Code lists it's a "fuel sender low code" (B1004- Current Fuel sender low 2.11 DTCB1004/B1005).
2) The "no rSP" code on the tach clearly indicates the tach is not working
3) The "Pn 68922-00C" shows like the part number of the TSSM security module
4) The "Pn 74480-05" shows to be the VRSCSE speedometer
5) No idea on the "Pn 127 P001-0" numbers

I'll keep reading and checking here and on the manuals, but ANY help will be highly appreciated... it was really depressing to see my bike going from perfect form to a dying stage, and on top of that letting me stranded on the highway... :sad:

See less See more
#37 ·
So I visited my bike's surgeon yesterday in disbelief after he told me his findings the previous day and found this, removed from the rear cylinder:

:eek:

Can anyone tell me WHERE THE FOCK is the inner electrode of that spark plug?!?!??

One possibility is it's actually dancing inside the engine... As weird as it looks since it wasn't found anywhere, but in the other hand the lower electrode is still there, which makes it frikkin unbelievable to fall into the engine... Getting open heart surgery this week to find out more... Stay tuned... and feel free to make your donations! :broke:

#49 ·
So I visited my bike's surgeon yesterday in disbelief after he told me his findings the previous day and found this, removed from the rear cylinder:

:eek:

Can anyone tell me WHERE THE FOCK is the inner electrode of that spark plug?!?!??

One possibility is it's actually dancing inside the engine... As weird as it looks since it wasn't found anywhere, but in the other hand the lower electrode is still there, which makes it frikkin unbelievable to fall into the engine... Getting open heart surgery this week to find out more... Stay tuned... and feel free to make your donations! :broke:

Sent from one my iSomething devices :D

Attachments

#44 ·
Sorry to hear all this Fab. Glad you got a guy looking at for you.

If you need anything let me know.

Rod

#47 ·
Was the NOS going off when you heard the noise?

#52 ·
Long story short, put 2-1 on, had bike tuned/dynoed and ran great. But I was getting alot of popping in neutral /deceleration. Took bike back to get fine tuned. Problem solved. Had a feeling something wasn't right w/bike. Hard to explain (but we know how our bikes run/sound) so I decided to pull the plugs. Found the #2 plug had a crack in the ceramic (I guess /assume) from all the popping?? Got lucky on that one.

As for you, I would have guessed either bad fuel or plugs. Sorry to hear about your bike. Hope it all works out for you with as little pain as possible!

Good luck. Joe

#53 ·
It's all good now, engine was opened to remove the electrode and a couple bulletproofing gadgets (and some some juice) where added since it was apart anyways. Running stronger and better than ever, waiting to test the NOS at the track soon :diablo:

#56 ·
What "gadgets" did you do? Curious is all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.