Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

An oil leak??? What gives!!??

4K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  RustyG 
#1 ·
@@Up date@@ An oil leak??? What gives!!??

Gents, walked into my garage today and found my NRS with a good size puddle of oil under the left (clutch side). What gives? She never leaked a drop before this... it appears to be coming from this area where my finger is in the pictures....Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks a lot :notworth:

Here are some pictures from this repair, I hope they help anyone in the same bind.. and thanks again guys, you were a huge help to a inexperienced NRS mechanic. lol

When I took the cover off I did notice that the Stater grommet had expanded and was quite loose, I have not idea why is went from no leak to full 1/2 liter of oil on the floor. So I took the guys advise (cheap rout first) pulled the grommet out, cleaned it really well, siliconed the the snot out of it, fed it back through the cover then added a normal (bathroom/kitchen) 3/4" rubber washer to the outside of the grommet, this really pulled the grommet tight to the inside of the cover which on its own should stop the leak. let it sit over night, and today.. so far so good. thanks again.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Aha! The dreaded clutch side/ alternator wire grommet seepage! (Just kidding.:stilpoke: The clutch is on the right side.)

This is a common problem with these engines. I fixed mine by removing the cover, removing the wire, and re-installing the wire grommet with two added O-rings. Others here have fixed it by super-cleaning the grommet with solvent and sealing it with copious amounts of silicone RTV.

"Search" is your friend.

#6 ·
Gents, walked into my garage today and found my NRS with a good size puddle of oil under the left (clutch side). What gives? She never leaked a drop before this... it appears to be coming from this area where my finger is in the pictures....Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks a lot :notworth:
Actually - the CLUTCH is on the right side - just sayin.

Another "fairly common" problem is the spin-on oil filter starting to spin off. I put mine on "reasonably tight" (they're a bitch to get OFF they're so tight), but so far, I've had an HD filter and an Amsoil filter get loose on me and leave puddles.

My kid walks in the garage, points to a puddle and says; "you got an oil leak Dad?". Nah, that's just my breather tube bypass dump. But it was kinda big for that (that one leaves "trademark Harley" quarter sized spots). Felt around and sure enough, oil filter was loose - and I shoulda left it loose, since I'm doing an oil change this weekend - actually I should have done the oil change RIGHT THEN AND THERE, since the filter was ALREADY LOOSE (GOD gives me subtle hints and I tend to IGNORE THEM).

Stator wire is also a fairly common issue. If you're under warranty, I'd take it to the stealer (if you trust them to not fuk 3 other things up and scratch the hell out of your bike) and INSIST they do a stator replacement to cure this. The wire/stator/grommet is one piece.

and is mounted in the COVER, not on the engine block itself...

Rick

#8 ·
Piece of cake to replace - disconnect the alternator plug under the left side radiator shroud , remove the pins from the plug , remove the alternator cover (needs a good pull to overcome the magnetism) , pull each wire through the grommet , pull the grommet out from inside the cover and replace it, thread the wires back through , refit the pins into the plug and refit the alternator cover.
Reconnect the plug and start the bike - make sure the pins you pulled out and replaced are making good contact by putting a voltmeter across the battery terminals and checking for 14 ish volts with the engine running.
You will lose a small amount of oil by removing the alternator cover if you haven't drained the engine oil BTW....

Steve

#9 ·
Great, thanks a lot Steve... Sucks I just changed the oil a month ago... wondering if I tilt and support the bike to the opposite side... do you think Ill have minimal oil loss? Or is this much easier just to drain all the oil?

Thanks a lot guys.. this is all great info... appreciate the support!

#14 ·
Why is my 2006 VRSCD doing this same exact leaking in the same area? I have a 2001 BMW R1200c that to this day has NEVER once leaked a drop. Very disaapointing to say the least.

Attachments

#15 ·
You have to take off the cover and clean out where the wire comes out and seal with grey sealer from the inside. Must be very very clean inside at the wire exit before appling the sealer. Permatex ultra grey. Let it dry overnight before re assembly.
It took me two times till I got it right. So far its lasted nearly 3 years.

#16 ·
I was getting ready to do the silicone repair to the grommet, but guess what? She stopped leaking, .or so I thought. I rode the bike for a few days more than I usually do. ( I usually ride the HD 2 days, then I ride the beemer for two) Well I rode the night rod for 3 days last week and each night I placed my card board sheet underneath the bike. I get nothing, nada, zilch, from Wednesday of last week, until sometime early this morning. a small dime size drop of oil on my card board. Damn!!! Guess will still need to do this repair one day.

#17 ·
She's STILL leaking. Does anyone know what needs to be ordered from HD parts wise? I see there is a stator assembly and a stator assembly kit listed in the parts book, which do I order if I decided to replace parts instead of doing the RTV fix?

#18 ·
You will need to order a complete stator. THe grommet is molded to the wires and can not be replaced by itself.

The RTV solution is your best bet. Get into your service manual on how to remove the existing stator, Clean up the cover, grommet, wires and anything else possible with a real good grease cutter before applying copious amounts of RTV. The more the merrier.

There is no assurance a new one will remain permanently sealed.

#19 ·
RustyG
I have the service manual and am HATING the idea of buying a new stator just to cure this weeping oil problem. But I have read MANY of the different posts where some have done the RTV fix more than once and still have the issue. I bought my bike in summer of 2005, we are now going into 2013, she has been pretty much trouble free. If I have to buy a new stator for $125 and replace myself with my friends help, I don't think it's to bad for an almost 8 year old bike.

#20 ·
I removed the cover. Spent a lot of time cleaning the inside gromet and wire, then used Grey silicone( grey seems to work the best) and put a ton of it about the wire and gromet and worked it under and out the hole. Pull the wire back and forth a little. Also used a fine awl to get it all around. Worked some in also from outside. Then let it sit overnight . Then resesmbled cover. Don't over tighten screws. Have not had a leak in 3 years. Harly really screwed up. Should be a recall. I wonder if they see these posts and care.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.