Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Anyone make a smaller V-Rod Radiator and Shroud?

9K views 46 replies 22 participants last post by  Ernie82 
#1 ·
Still looking to get a V-Rod Muscle, but one of the turn offs for me is how big the radiator looks on the front of the bike. I wish they somehow integrated it better so doesn't stick out as much. I feel it takes away and obscures from the rake of the bike.

Does anyone know of any suppliers that make a smaller radiator and shroud or has anyone tried modifying a smaller one from say a metric :spank:to put on? I'm sure there is a reason why the V-Rod needs such a big radiator, but hopefully there are some smaller/thinner ones that are just as efficient.

#3 ·
...but hopefully there are some smaller/thinner ones that are just as efficient.
As far as the radiator, I'm sure that an engineer would tell you no, not significantly more efficient. Sure, you could have a radiator with silver or other exotic metals instead of aluminum fins, but your radiator would cost MUCH more for just a bit more cooling performance. Not worth the cost (very high) vs. benefit (being slightly smaller).

I can't say for sure about the F radiator scoops, (I agree that they do look much more pronounced than the other VRSCs) but the original V-Rod ones were driven not so much by what the design team wanted, but by what the engineering team needed for airflow, etc. That was stressed in the "Making of the V-Rod" video.

#5 ·
Yeah, I guess the volume of liquid is what's really needed for that high performance/revving engine. I was just looking at some metrics (like the Yamaha Stryker) and noticed how much smaller the radiator is on there. Of course a different kind of bike/engine, but the size difference is substantial.

Definitely wouldn't want to sacrifice proper cooling of the engine by putting on a smaller radiator though!

#7 ·
Tha coolant radiator is not all that large. You won't be able to reduce its size much without reducing cooling performance. Behind that shroud is also a oil cooler.

#10 ·
Hmmmm... I didn't realize the oil cooler is behind there also. Do you happen to know if the all the V-Rods share the same radiator and oil cooler and the shroud is just different and bigger on the Muscle?

Since you live in Honolulu, you don't need a damn radiator for 10 mile rides:)
Haha! It's always so hot here and we have some of the worst afternoon traffic in the nation. Our freeway is like a parking lot from 3:00 to 6:00pm. I actually don't anticipate riding during those times, but there are places on the north and east shore that has long rides with nice scenery too.

Thanks for chiming in everyone. I was hoping someone did a custom job or modification to make that front box a little less obtrusive, but no luck I guess. Some of the aftermarket covers do seem to do a good job of making the area look less boxy while covering up the stock internals, so that may be the only option.

#11 ·
The current shroud is as small as they could make it and still pass all of the rigor tests. The issue with the bike is it's radiator placement. Unlike an automobile, the bike's radiator is directly behind the wheel and forks. It causes the airflow to split around the entire bike rather than flow around the front end alone. Add this to the level at which the engine has to operate in order to provide the desired performance and it is a recipe for overheating.

The scoops on the shroud and the radiator design itself were enhanced by using small fins to increase air flux across the radiator. This generates a vortex state and brings in sufficient air both at high speeds as well as a Harley staple - parade riding.

Personally I would be very very careful about altering the radiator design or airflow into the scoops. Some of these aftermarket companies make grills for the radiator which look good. However they gave absolutely zero thought to testing under various conditions and climates or the long term effects on your engine. They only considered the look and your money.

A great deal of wind tunnel testing and pouring over mounds of data was conducted in order to achieve the current design. Make sure any mod you use has more testing behind it than someone on a message board saying "Well I haven't had an issue and I have been doing if for years." Most of those statements are rather haphazard and certainly devoid of controlled conditions. How much have they really done it? Where do they live? What are the riding conditions? What was the load? How do they ride. Blah blah blah blah blah. Blah...but important.

I am not saying it can't be done. I am merely saying that unlike other mods to your bike the ramifications to an incorrect mod could be nearly undetectable at first while causing very serious and expensive permanent damage.

#13 ·
My personal opinion is that the 'extensively developed' radiator shroud is bullshit and its there purely to hide the rad as far as possible.
There are plenty of bikes out there that produce way more power , and thus heat, than the V-Rod does and seem to manage perfectly well with a radiator behind the front wheel with no scoops or interstellar vortex management systems :)

#14 ·
My personal opinion is that the 'extensively developed' radiator shroud is bullshit and its there purely to hide the rad as far as possible.
There are plenty of bikes out there that produce way more power , and thus heat, than the V-Rod does and seem to manage perfectly well with a radiator behind the front wheel with no scoops or interstellar vortex management systems :)
Don't forget hiding the "Flux Capacitor"

Actually it's the same radiator as the other models just the shroud is different. You can get take off shrounds via e-bay for the other models which will bolt right on.
There are also some aftermarket shrouds, NLC customs and others you might look at.

#15 ·
Maybe the jug fins alone will suffice:) Hell,there's plenty of us partially blocking the scoops(50%) with perforated metal screens anyhow:)

#19 ·
Buy what you want. If you buy an F, I will swap for a DX radiator shroud, complete. Joe

#21 ·
Still looking for a Muscle. There's definitely a shortage of used ones here. The few I saw for sale have prices almost close to new prices with 12-15 Gs on the odometer. I'll be patient. I'll likely get any late model V-Rod (not necessarily an F) if the price is right though.

#22 ·
No worries. Sitting here on a shelf. Joe

#28 ·
Break it / Make it

Jeeeze!
Again with the "all bikes must match".
Get a Uniform! (you already wear one?)

I like the 1125. Those look like gas turbine inlets. For the same reason too, Air Management.
And if I am not confused air goes into the "fake" side scoops on the F to support combustion and hence movement.

Get the bike that sparks your lust and shape it to your individual vision, and post a ton of pics for those of us who can pull their heads out of......the box .
Run it with no shrouds, D shrouds, custom shrouds or even relocate the radiator altogether a la Benelli Tornado

Be sure to post lots of photos of your individual solution.

My local stealer has this Muscle on the floor and it is very clean.

http://www.redwoodharley.com/index.php/showroom/used-motorcycles/item/2009-harley-davidson-vrsc-vrscf-v-rod-muscle.html

#29 ·
Jeeeze!
Again with the "all bikes must match".
Get a Uniform! (you already wear one?)

I like the 1125. Those look like gas turbine inlets. For the same reason too, Air Management.
And if I am not confused air goes into the "fake" side scoops on the F to support combustion and hence movement.

Get the bike that sparks your lust and shape it to your individual vision, and post a ton of pics for those of us who can pull their heads out of......the box .
Run it with no shrouds, D shrouds, custom shrouds or even relocate the radiator altogether a la Benelli Tornado

Be sure to post lots of photos of your individual solution.

My local stealer has this Muscle on the floor and it is very clean.
Yes you are confused they are blocked off and no one is saying "All Bikes should look the same", just talking about 2 really ugly ones, one is ugly for reason the other because the design team fell short and they released a bagger with no bags on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.