Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Considering a V-Rod, have a question

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  spiritwarrior 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I ride a Star Venture and LOVE the bike for touring but it is a LOAD to take out and cruise locally for a few hours. I am considering picking up a used V-Rod since I love the looks and performance. My question.....I am 6'5" and always found the H-D models a bit cramped. Does the longer wheelbase on the V-Rod mean it might provide me a little more legroom?

Thanks.

Bob F.

#3 ·
Hey, welcome to 1130cc! You will find that V-Rods with forward controls can have the foot pegs 'flipped' to change them from reduced reach to extended reach. Use the search function to read many of the existing posts on the topic. I think this change gets you an extra 3 inches or so. I'm 6' tall with 6' 3" wingspan and have not done this to my VRSCF (Muscle). You'll find that those who have flipped their pegs then have to deal with the positions of the gear and brake levers...
Good luck on whatever you do!

#12 ·
I would be looking at 2007's and up. You want the five gallon tank, and me personally would want ABS. Think they started ABS in 2008/2009. The ABS won't save you from everything, but in a no notice panic stop mine stops in a straight line. Best of three Harleys I have owned. In general the VROD's have few mechanical issues.

Good luck, PS I have a 1981 Yamaha XS 1100 touring in storage. They make great bikes.

#7 ·
#9 ·
I am 6'1" with a 33" inseam. The V is a little cramped. You might actually be better off being a little taller so you knees bend a little more. You can also then put your heal on the footpeg when just cruising. I put drag bars on mine and thought that really helped the comfort. I make a 3" extension kit which made it much more comfortable. Don't want to make it seam like I am trying to sell stuff, but I am the only person presently that makes a 3" kit. There may be a company in Germany but I don't know if they sell anymore. Here is the comparison:

Stock

Extended

Another option is to cut the seat down but that depends on the year you get. The V is an awesome bike and I highly recommend it but you should know that it takes a little bit of work to make it comfortable for tall guys. This is the same for most bikes as well.

-Keith

#11 ·
KillerV, how is your V-Rod now in terms of lean angle and scraping a peg or heel?
I made the pegs 1/2" up so the lean angle is the same as stock. The 11.5" shocks made it worse (not that bad) but the progressive short springs in the front made it worse than the back. Wish I had stuck with stock length in the front. Didn't look much different but turned worse.

Regretfully my pegs scraped real bad when it went under the front of a minivan so she is gone now. Trying to get the funds together for a new one, especially because I have some new parts I want to work on...

-Keith

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.