Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Fans run & no TPS read-out

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  SvFiat 
#1 ·
:notworth:Help fella's!!! Removed battery in my '08 DX. Installed new spark plugs, wiped dust off a few things, and put it back together. Now the fans run.....will not stop. Also, after about 10 seconds after turning switch on, (while the fans are running), the engine lite comes on. First thing I did, was check to see if the map was OK in my fuel-pak, which it was, HOWEVER _ the mode where you set throttle position by twisting to WIDE-OPEN & back to IDLE, the fuel pak does not register any motion of the TPS. Not even going to try and start it.......any opinions????:notworth:

#2 ·
.... Removed battery in my '08 DX. Installed new spark plugs, wiped dust off a few things, and put it back together. Now the fans run.....will not stop. Also, after about 10 seconds after turning switch on, (while the fans are running), the engine lite comes on. First thing I did, was check to see if the map was OK in my fuel-pak, which it was, HOWEVER _ the mode where you set throttle position by twisting to WIDE-OPEN & back to IDLE, the fuel pak does not register any motion of the TPS. Not even going to try and start it.......any opinions???? ...
I'm guessing you didn't remove the MAIN (also called MAXI) fuse located under your upper right side cover. Regardless, the fans coming on after reconnecting the battery is normal, however; these should turn off after a few seconds following the battery reconnect.

You need to recheck your installation and make sure you didn't pinch any wires. I'm guessing you shorted the FAN relay control wire (white with red stripe) to ground and the engine light is indicating a DTC (probably P1481). Try removing the FAN relay (located near the MAIN fuse) and see if the fans turn off.

I'm not familiar with the "fuel-pak". How does it connect to the bike wiring? You may need to remove this if it "piggy backs" on the ECM.

#3 ·
Thanks Steve. I'll check the wire. I am getting 3 codes. PO113, PO118, aand PO123. Tried clearing & they pop right back. All three sensors have continuity, (norm closed.). The ECM is sending the correct 5.0 volts to AIT, TPS, ETS.....and the Black/wht. stripe wires all have continuity back to pin 26 on the ECM connector!!!!! I'm just stumped! Also, the TPS normally shows throttle rotation on the Fuel-Pack....right now it doesn't appear to have any input at all. The Fuel-pack is a plug-in between factory ECM & factory ECM Connector. The other 35 modes retained all their values. The bike also goes thru pre-start (pre-test @ key on) as it always does. Fans run immediately.....engine lte goes out after 4 seconds....then comes back on after 10 seconds & just stays on!

#8 ·
When ever you do anything electrical to these bikes. "ALWAYS" pull the maxi fuse. I did a simple add on for the security system, the add-on siren without pulling the maxi fuse and blew out the charging circuit in the siren as it's only putting 2 volts to a 9 volt battery now. Live and learn and another 100 dollar bill in flames.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.