Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Plenums

74K views 402 replies 52 participants last post by  mukle 
#1 ·
Do we really need them?
This is the question that I am researching right now.

Turbo or Supercharged piston engines typically use many cylinders arranged in-line and one or two superchargers. Superchargers deliver air at a relatively constant rate, while cylinders demand it in a varying manner, as the valves open and as piston speed varies through the stroke. Simple direct ducting would give problems where the nearest cylinders received more airflow. The pulsating demand from the cylinders would also show problems of either pressure waves in the duct, or a shortage of inlet air towards the end of the inlet phase.

The solution is to provide a large-volume plenum chamber between the inlet and the cylinders. This has two benefits: it evens out the difference in path restriction between cylinders (distribution across space), secondly it provides a large-volume buffer against pressure changes (distribution over time

#240 ·
Great Work!!

#241 ·
Here is a shot of the inside of the compressor side. The blades turn counter clockwise. The air gets compressed & pushed up/out to the scroll ( dark outer ring) at the outside of the housing. The compressor spins at 80-120,000 rpm. If the output air is backing up because of too small a charge pipe / too many bends / too long / insufficent plenum, it chokes the exhaust turbine & slows the whole cycle down.

Attachments

#242 ·
Here it is, the intake flange kit for DIY people.

You can build:
- A Silicon hose Y-solution for a forced induction
- A plenum can-solution for a forced induction
- 2 pcs separate filters for a normally aspirated
- 1 pcs large filter between plates for a normally aspirated
- velocity stacks or a scoop for racers
- etc

- NOS, alcohol- or water injection can be fitted
- does NOT include a crank case breather connection

The kit includes:
CNC machined billet flange
M6*30mm screws and lock washers (AISI316) 6pcs
1/8" NPT plugs 4pcs
IAT censor and seal 1pc
IAT censor socket kit 1pc
O-ring FPM (Viton) 3pcs

Price $325 + shipping

Orders by PM
Payment by Paypal
A stock item at Karzza Motor Sports :D

#386 ·
what is the status on this pc, nice work !

#244 ·
Here are a couple items that might be ideas to lighten the beast. The black bracket is the front motor mount, the large washer is aluminum replacement for the steel piece on the same mount. The gold piece is the waste gate bracket. The axle is made from 7075 T6 and weighs right at 12 ounces, the stock piece is almost 37 ounces. The savings on these is almost two pounds. May not seem like much, but it adds up. Show us some of your mods.

Attachments

#245 ·
A stock front motor mount is a catastrofe.
The mount should be made of billet aluminum with a PUR bushing.

#246 ·
:notworth::notworth:

#250 ·
There is meet to enlarge to 58mm.

Would You tell me more about the "too big for 53mm case"?
(study a shape of stock throttle body)

#251 ·
About the plenum production.
Dravings for CNC machining are ok, but it seems that we are not able to machine the plenums by ourself.
We will ask an offer to produce 5 pcs of them from a relevant company. Let's see what is a price and intrest in the forum when the price is known.

Note, I do NOT have business purposes, this is just a hobby for me.

#252 ·
About the plenum production.
Dravings for CNC machining are ok, but it seems that we are not able to machine the plenums by ourself.
We will ask an offer to produce 5 pcs of them from a relevant company. Let's see what is a price and intrest in the forum when the price is known.

Note, I do NOT have business purposes, this is just a hobby for me.

Thank you for doing what you do in your spare time. :D

Very interesested in the entire package!

#254 ·
We found and visited a suitable small serie CNC machining shop for a production of the first plenums.

I decided to add and already designed a crank case ventilation including an oil separator to the plenum. Everybody need to solve it in any case, and I think this is the cleanest and the most cost efficient way to do it. Mukle will uppdate the drawings in a week, then all of you will see the idea.

We will get an excact price in two weeks. If enough intrest exists, min. 4-5pcs, the plenum will came true.

#257 ·
At least the front cylinder's breather line needs an oil separator at street use. An oiled cam chain throws a lot of oil straight to the front breather line.

Have to consider to the heat issue.

The system I'm thinking is not fixed, you can add or remove it by screws.

#258 ·
Put a T in the oil return line from turbo and be done.

#259 ·
What if you don't have a return line to tap into? But if you did isn't that putting pressure back into case?
Rod you know what I'm tryin to say...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Motorcycle.com App

#261 ·
Did finalize the plenum and breather box today. Using of the limited space under an air box cover is optimized.

The self draining breather box is an option, possible to use on right or on left side ot the plenum. (plenum can be turned 180deg)

We are sending an offer request for 4pcs of the plenum and breather box.
1.Mukle
2.Karzza
3.Lane
4. who?

We have free 6pcs flange kits on stock.

#262 ·
Looking really nice...This is gonna hurt isn't it?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Motorcycle.com App

#263 ·
pm me pricing

#264 ·
The pricing:
Flange Kit (post #242) $325
Plenum (including velocity stacks, O-rings, screws, a BOV hose connector and a plug) $725
Breather Box (including O-ring, screws, hose connectors) $165

All together $1215 + shipping
Payment by PayPal

1.Mukle
2.Karzza
3. Lane

We have to get two more names to machine the 4pcs serie.
The Flange kits are ready.

#265 ·
damn my timing sucks

#266 ·
Come on rsc!
As the founder of the topic You are the most quilty for the project:deal:.

#267 ·
Nice work Karzza I'm impressed hope it works.

#269 ·
Any interest here?

#270 ·
I am INTERESTED, just have to wait a tad bit. to many irons in the fire.

#271 ·
We did a small final improvement. Now it is possible to use 60mm or 2-1/4" silicone elbow to supply the plenum.
(A reducer elbow fr 2-1/4" to 2" is available at speed shops)

The plenum can be used as left handed or right handed if you have a electric water pump.

The plenum can be heat insulted from the flange by fiber plates. The breather box can be heat insulted from the plenum by fiber washers.

A breather can be connected to an engine air filter, to an exhaust down pipe or to a small filter via 3/4" hose. A vacuum pump or one way valve can be used as well.

1/8" NPT NOS-, water- or alcohol injectors can be fitted to the flange.

Plenum is available as black, bronze, blue or red anodized.

All of you, who are willing to have equal boost and power from both of the cylinders, should wake up now!

We would need the 4th participants to produce the first series of the plenum and breather box.

#274 ·
We did a small final improvement. Now it is possible to use 60mm or 2-1/4" silicone elbow to supply the plenum.
(A reducer elbow fr 2-1/4" to 2" is available at speed shops)

The plenum can be used as left handed or right handed if you have a electric water pump.

The plenum can be heat insulted from the flange by fiber plates. The breather box can be heat insulted from the plenum by fiber washers.

A breather can be connected to an engine air filter, to an exhaust down pipe or to a small filter via 3/4" hose. A vacuum pump or one way valve can be used as well.

1/8" NPT NOS-, water- or alcohol injectors can be fitted to the flange.

Plenum is available as black, bronze, blue or red anodized.

All of you, who are willing to have equal boost and power from both of the cylinders, should wake up now!

We would need the 4th participants to produce the first series of the plenum and breather box.
Lets get these things rolling.

SOLD!

I am in.

Blue please!
:plause::plause::plause::plause::grouphug:plause::plause::plause::plause:

Excellent work, men! This is the type of product development that should make all club members proud anywhere. :cheers:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.