Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Oil Dipstick with Cold Oil?

6K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  NikNak 
#1 ·
Is there an oil dip stick that is accurate when the bike is cold, and on its side stand? Seems like the dipstick could have a mark to measure the cold oil level on a side stand, and another for hot and level? Sometimes it would be convenient for a quick check of the oil before heading out from the garage in the morning. The cold line could actually be a multiple set of lines, for a range of "cold", non-operating temperatures?

#2 ·
The next time you change your oil, after adding 5 quarts of oil, let it set for a bit then, with a cold engine and the bike setting on its jiffy stand, mark a spot on the dip stick where the oil level is at. Problem solved.

#5 ·
Yes, agreed. I was giving some thought about the best way to make the mark, probably a hacksaw blade. That said, I wonder why this isn't part of the stock dip stick, or offered on an after market one. I have had other vehicles (possibly one bike), where there were hot and cold oil level marks. Automatc transmission dip sticks often have this.

#6 ·
I would use a small file with a sharp edge. Hacksaw seems a bit brutal. You don't need a real large mark.

#7 ·
I think you are overintellectualizing this whole thing. Every other motor vehicle I have I can read the dipstick, or oil sight guage, hot or cold and the reading is seldom different. Why are you all fussing about this bike? The difference in hot and cold oil levels certainly isn't enough to effect a decision to add half a quart or not. Yeah, the oil level is a touch higher when hot than cold, but when the bike is dead cold you know all the oil is in the pan and not still dribbling it's way down from the heads. Do you really think it makes a difference whether you read the oil level hot of cold?

#9 ·
With the bike on the sidestand the oil level is about 1/2'' above full.Look on the back of the dipstick closely there are small marks there that match the level.Use those.

#11 ·
Did my pre-winter oil change and cleaning today. I did not have any cold oil level marks on my stock dip stick. There was a small indentation about in the correct place, but looked more like a manufacturing defect. No visble manufactuing marks on my 2009 stock dip stick to check the cold oil level.

#14 ·
The problem with checking the bike on the side stand is that the side stand bushings will wear and change the amount of lean the bike exhibits on the stand, which will change the oil level reading, so it won't be consistent over time. It ain't that hard to sit on it and level it up to check the oil.

Mike

#15 ·
I marked my dipstick after the first oil change and on mine cold on the kickstand, oil level is right in between the A and R on "warm" so I got a set of wire cutters and put a notch in the dipstick at that point. The dots on my dipstick were not anywhere near that point btw. I'm pretty sure those dots are from the molding process.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#17 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.