Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Tuner Question

1K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  CPTJAM 
#1 ·
Im sure this has been asked a 1000 times...But I just got a 2013 special and really like the Vance and Hines 2 into 1 pipes. I was told by my local Harley dealer that the best thing to do is get the pipes and a tuner at the same time...and obviously he strongly recomemded the Harley Race Tuner over a Power Commander???? Thoughts???

#2 ·
Will your dealer be tuning your bike?

I would first find a tuner i am totally comfortable and happy with, and then go with whatever he recommends. If you have any issues with your bike, you want to be able to take it back to your tuner and get it sorted. But if you purchase a tuning system that your tuner is not familiar/happy with, that will always be the tuners scapegoat.

But if you find a tuner you are comfy with, trust, and also buy/use whatever tuning method he recommends, you should be fine.

The absolute best tuning software is crap in the wrong hands. But ive also seen some "alternative" tuning software get amazing results in talented hands too.

#3 ·
Excellent choice! Just a fantastic bike....and the OP is in the motherland for the V-Rod....sweet...one of these days I am going to take a factory tour. I drive through KC once or twice a year.

Regarding the fueler, I think it also depends on what you are looking for. You mentioned the SERT and PC, so I assume you want to configure your own maps, or download pre-set maps?

I went the other way. I didn't want to deal with maps or modify the stock ECU in any way. I really like the set and forget aspect of my fueler of choice, plus if I ever have an issue with the bike, I disconnect 4 easy to access connectors, and the bike is bone stock including the ECU.

My bike runs like a scaled dog compared to stock, so even though I might be able to eek out a little more power across the power band in every gear by using a system with a laptop, this setup is more than adequate for me. Throttle response compared to stock is night and day. Plus I can run in any altitude, swap out modifications, and i don't have to worry about tweaking a map to take advantage of the changes...

But I get that some people are tweakers and love to do this stuff....different strokes.....

#7 ·
Any thoughts on the Zippers Performance "Thiunder Max"? I just put the V&H 2:1 Comp on my '08 NRS. It's running the same map (SERT) as with my pre-existing slip-on SuperTrapps. I definitely won't do any heavy riding 'til I get tuned one way or the other, but my local HD dealership wants $469 for what they refer to as a "Super Dyno Tune". I figure for $800, I can do whatever mods I want, and never pay for a Dyno tune again. Unless I feel the need to brag, that is.

Any advice would be appreciated.
-David.

#8 ·
My TMAX works great! I cross the country, and from below sea level to 12000 feet, runs great! I even hit 46 mpg on one tank this summer! (probably down hill with a tail wind....). I like it, and post respectable numbers. Maybe not the absolute highest, but runs great no matter where I go. Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.