Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

6 Speed Transmission revisited

46K views 153 replies 61 participants last post by  streetrodracer 
#1 ·
Ok, I know there are alot of posts on 6 speed transmissions for the Vrod, but I have a question for you more knowledgeable types. I did a google on 6 speed transmission for vrod and it took me to jpcycles.com to a generic right side 6 speed transmission. Just wondering if this would work on a 2011 Nightrod Special? Would be nice to know before I spend close to $1k.

#83 ·
Well, as I said before, they won't foot the bill for the R&D, because they don't think they can move enough to make a profit. Basically, if this is going to happen, somebody, (maybe me), is going to have to start up a small company, put up the cash, and pay them to develop it. At that point, we could probably get them to build it under license, so that they could only build them for us, the small company. Then we'd have to promote the hell out of it, and hopefully sell enough to cover what we had spent. Which takes me back to why I brought it up on here... Before I go starting up a business, and raising the capital to do this, I need to get a feel for how many of these I might be able to sell. Less than 100, I don't think it's doable. Once you get into the 200-300 unit range, it starts to become a reasonable proposition.
I think it's worth the effort, because I want one...
If you're interested, msg me. If you're interested in helping me make it happen, definitely msg me...

If you're going to tell me how unneccesary it is, or how I should buy a different bike, DON'T msg me... lol

#84 ·
Not to bash someones products but aluminum hard coat anodized pulleys typically do NOT hold up very long. Remember anodize is a coating and coatings wear out. Again not bashing them but they should re-visit the material for the front pulley.

#91 ·
:them:
I had a hard anodized front pulley and wore it out in one season. They were good to me when I told 'em it wazs wore out, they gave me a super deal on the steel version. Won't go back to alum for street use.

#86 ·
I'd love to have a 6 speed there's plenty of room. Baker puts a 6 speed in the old 4 speed case. The biggest head ache is the tear down to change it out because HD wasn't clever enough to incorporate some kind of top cover for the transmission area of the motor casting. I'm still waiting for the revolution super glide 6 speed for police use. :)

#92 ·
I have a gear manufacturer interested in doing gearsets If I can ever get a spare trans. I was assured they can make a wider ratio.

#94 ·
I'd like that, but I'd be too mean to buy it.

A wider set of ratios is what is actually required. No need whatever for six gears.

#96 ·
Why cast again;when the first one was successful ?

#98 ·
Yup... Like I said, several times... Not everyone is gonna want to do it. And on a stock motor, it's really not gonna make that much difference anyway.
However... if you're tearing the motor down already, and stroking it, and/or going forced induction, it's something to think about, at least for some of us. I agree, for those of you with stock scoots, who ride in a fairly normal fashion, never race, never go to the strip, etc, it doesn't make a lot of sense. There are many of us here that ride the crap out of these things. I don't abuse my scoot, but I do flog it mercilessly. I get up near the red line frequently. It likes it up there... When I gotta take the bottom end apart, I'm definitely going large displacement. When that happens, I'd like to have the option of a 6 speed. For most of you, that isn't something you want to do. Great. Enjoy your scoot in the fashion you prefer. I'm looking for the 2%-5% of V-Rod owners that are interested in going far beyond stock...

#100 ·
Upon your more deeper explanation I get your point and for one, I'm not putting you down if that's what you want to do. Makes sense if you:

1. You tear your bike up anyways with hard riding and time for a tranny re-build.
2. You have the desire, "jing", time and inclination to do all the work.

If your a racer, one tooth, one mm, one ounce or one degree makes a BIG difference on track day.

Harley collaborated with Porsche to design the bike for a special purpose, Drag racing. Hence the Destroyer. There is no other Harley with this much radical design. The VRod is Harley's answer to the super-bike. They didn't want to go the tradition route that the other bike companies went. I think they where a little short sited when they didn't make a "bagger" or glide version. If they did, it would have wider acceptance from the tradition Harley rider. Harley watches everything we do. This is a perfect petri dish for their R&D research...and it's free! Your tranny R&D is of big interest for them. Use the patent office to your advantage...

This is a big, world-wide VRod forum. There are a select few that will attempt this feat just because... I for one applaud you for the research and attempt. From folks like you, we push the limits of what possible. Maybe Harley will notice and it could be a new product. This is how Speed Shops got started! :notworth::notworth::notworth:

#99 ·
A half of year just wondering, not a single action how to do it in practise.

#101 ·
I can't believe there are 5 pages dedicated to something that will never happen. If you want a touring bike and have the ability to tour long distances at a lower rpm, HD makes plenty of bikes for that. That's not what this bike or engine was ever about. And seeing that 90% of V-Rod riders are zooming around the street, impromptu drag races, and the like, the V-Rod does what it was desired to do.

While members on this forum have made some fine touring bikes out of V-Rods on their own, and I commend them, that's because they want the power and are willing to live with the V-Rods shortcomings to make bikes perfect for them.

But will HD ever market a Revolution-based, 6 speed bike? Absolutely not. The V-Rod is too weak at low rpm for 350+ lbs of passengers, and a load of luggage. Face it, there isn't enough torque around 3000 rpm for effortless cruising. Start hitting a long uphill grade, and you'll be downshifting, guaranteed. As much as all of you despise the Air Cooled twins, they have a ton o'torque down there, so you just roll the throttle a little, and up the grade you go.

Then, there's the R&D expense. It's gonna cost a ton'o bucks for someone to design and manufacture the gears. Then, you have to be willing to spend another $1K in expenses to install the damn thing. To do what, save some rpm? After watching this topic go on and on for the last 7 years, how many people really will pay for this? Maybe a dozen, if that much. No manufacturer is going to make a gearset for a dozen people... unless you are 12 very rich people.

#103 ·
LOL It's still such a hoot listenimg to all tell how things that aren't needed and will never happen... Must be all you young bucks lmao!!! Disc brakes????? Japshit !!! Now triple Brembos...A aluminum cylinder lmao NEVER!!! Oh shit a Evo... 5 speed trannys Don't need that Jap shit!!!! Oh shit Evo now six speed stock... WTF!!! Liquid cooling ****ing wanta be jap cruisers!!!!!!! Damn a Vrod Who the hell let this shit happen????? Now we talk bout how ya can't make a Tourer outa it... I'm a big guy!!! Damn near 400lbs... My ol lady is bout 155lbs... I don't know how I'll EVER get up that hill.. OMG what am I to do... Roll on the throttle.. These things aren't that damn peaky!!!!! Like he said...If ya don't want one quit whining how it's a waste or you'll NEVER go over 80 and still wanta lauch... Yes it'll be high buck.... $5500. for a turbo $1200. for NOS..Big inch lmao get the check book... How many of those are out there!!! OMG who could EVER want more power than the almighty Motor Company coulda put in it!!!! The cases won't hold more than 160ish hp.... Tell that to Kaz nn O2.... They said the same about the pans nd shovels... WTF S&S came along..... Now they got 110 inch stockers!!!!! If it's not your thing leave it alone!!! I'm not tellin ya How the hell could you waste your $$$$ on chrome!!!!!! Paint it black it's all we NEED!!!!!! If it's what ya want DO IT!!!! I'm interested in a kit!!!

#107 ·
I just got done doing a live chat w/a cat @ Baker. He said they bought a V Rod to do the R&D on, looked at the case-splitting process and decided against pursuing it any further.

I put on some fairly serious miles and would love to pass a few more gas stations than I do now. And a few of my brothers would appreciate a few less decibels, the Bassani Road Rage does roar @ 70-90 where we ride as a pack; nobody will ride on my right anymore. I'd be interested in either a six speed set or a wider fourth-fifth set & put 'em back for when it's time to split the cases. In the mean time a 30t front pulley will have to do...

#108 ·
You didn't mention what you were getting for MPG. These motors will easily get better than 40 MPG and still have 120+ HP. It's all in the tuning. Run it a tad lean in the range where you normally cruise and richen it up in the higher RPM's. The problem is the dyno tuners tune for max power. If you got soot in your pipes and there is soot on your plugs your wasting fuel.

#115 ·
I think for the money change your sprocket. Harley makes different bikes for a purpose. LL is right. For 98% of the folks here the six speed on a VROD is not worth it. My Street Bob had a ton of torque, the VROD is quick and runs cooler. Hats off to those who can afford it and have the skill to install a six speed if someone will build one.

#117 ·
Like I said on the other thread, I never imagined anyone putting the 6 speed in, but leaving the motor stock. Why would you tear it allllll the way down, then put it together unimproved? Crazy. A 6 speed would KILL with 1400+cc motor, or a turbo, or both...
I keep hearing from folks who have all kinds of reasons why its a bad idea, or why they wouldn't do it. I started these 2 threads to find the people that are interested, and would do it.