Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Stock shock bolt size

9K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Eracer76 
#1 ·
Anyone know what the size of the upper and lower shock bolts are. I need to pick up a torx socket so I can pull them to install the HD rear black axle covers. Thanks for any help. FDM

#3 ·
just loosen the bottom bolt and leave the top alone.

Pull bolt out and the shock will swing up out of the way. Rubber bushing not a problem.

Make sure you jack the bike up to take the load off the shocks.

Then when you are ready to put them in...Just lower the jack or bring it back up to align the bottom bolts back up and in they will go.

should take you about 10 min. max.

Torque back down according to manual.

Rod

#4 ·
Yeah, fun until you can't get to the bolt behind the pipes. I found that I can get a 3/8", 6-inch extension in there and get a socket on it. Problem is, the nut rotates while turning, and it's set at 85 ft. lbs. at least. 3/4" wrench on the backside, if I'm not mistaken. Bust that loose, and you're in business. Either pull the mufflers off or raise/lower the bike to get the socket on. I chose not to pull the pipes off again.

Why isn't it threaded into the frame like the left side? Anywayz...good luck! My shocks are currently on the counter and the bike is resting quietly on the lift with the back tire gently on the garage floor. I gotta put caps on and I may see what I need to do to black out those DA$& chrome shocks...

-Roman

#5 ·
beafraid8,

exactly what you said. i changed the left (belt side) easily. I have the type of jack used on atv's and loosened the lower, piece of cake. The problem was not only that I think my torx was maybe a 45, nothing stamped on it was it slipped some but did work for the left. The right, the torx was too long, fits in a special socket so I had to pull the supertrapps! That meant heat shields etc. I then found the top would not loosen and the bottom had a stupid bolt that I had no wrench for. I ended up putting the exhaust back on and I guess I will wait utntil I put the 260 metz on. I knowI could get it off if I had the wrench, looks to be maybe a 19mm and I need a really short t-50 per what is told here or pull the exhaust again! Anyway, thanks for the response and advice. These covers will look great, not very practical when you need to do a belt adjustment due to removal of a hard to get at shock bolt but they are going on anyway. FDM

#7 ·
While looking at the rear from behind:

Top left, Bottom left/right: M12x1.75x70 TORX recessed button head

Top right: M12x1.75x60 TORX recessed button head

This is for the '07 DX. I'm sure the '08 is the same.

#8 ·
I just checked the nut on the back side of the lower right shock bolt and a 3/4 is way loose. Tried a 19mm, must be metric then since it fit better. Still not sure on the torx, one post says 45 another a 50. I called the dealer and they did not know. FDM

#13 ·
just did my curved license plate, it is 100% t-50, & on my 08dxa the left shock bolt screws into the upper belt guard.

ps. install an INDY OUTLAW, you would have no problem with access to the right side bolts. :stilpoke:

#15 ·
My philosophy in life, "IF IT WORKS....DO IT!!!!"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.