Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

ECM failure?

6K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  FABSTER 
#1 ·
I was loading a map into my '06 Dyna using a SERT, about 90% complete and my laptop said I had lost communications with the ECM. Trouble codes were downloaded and I had two, U1016 and U1255. What went wrong and is it repairable or will I need a new ECM and of course a new tuner? I have loader many maps in the past and have never had a problem, did I screw up or did my ECM just fail.

#5 ·
Did you retry it? Very occasionally my bike will fail to complete a download. It always takes it on the following attempt. No reason that I can tell. I'd shut everything off, power it all back on and retry.

I know they're VERY sensitive to power and I always leave the charger on while I'm doing this. Don't know if it helps but it can't hurt?

#7 ·
J3D.... If you need it for troubleshooting, I have an ECM which has a bad fan circuit. Everything else works except the fans. I saved it just for ruling out a bad ecm. If you need it, just pay shipping both ways.

#11 ·
Yep i can get connected to the bike, it reads the vin, part number and map I tried to load but I keep getting a message that my ECM needs to be taken to the dealer for repair. It loaded about 90% on the first try and now will only load 3% before I get a failure notice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.