Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Shift Light

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  dmfcavu 
#1 ·
Anyone know where I can get a shift light cover/cap, or another brand that fits?

I searched for the company that's listed in the service manual and just got links to several Stewart Warner sites that are under construction.

Thanks,

DMF

#2 ·
Stewart Warner is apparently out of business or something cause I've been trying to get one of their shift light gauges for months to know avail, lots of companies list their items but when you call they dont have it in stock and no idea if they'll have it again.

Autometer has some you can check here and/or call them for the specs and see which one will fit, I just called them yesterday and the service was great

http://www.autometer.com/cat_accessorieslist.aspx?pid=42

#3 ·
how big OD is the shift light dennis? i have a yellow shift light cap for a 1.5 inch light. i can bring it with me if it'll work, i'll need it back for my light but we can use it this weekend.

#4 ·
Thanks Robbie, no need to bring it. Was just wanting to get one for my next night race. Last week ran at night and the shift light distracted me resulting in a missed shift. Ordered one from JEGS today.

See you Friday!

DMF

#6 ·
Thanks Noel, just didn't get around to reading the book. FYI, anyone interested, the Autometer cover is a perfect fit.

#8 ·
Sounds like a great solution. Can you share details/photos?

Thanks,

#9 ·
No photos, but an explaination should do. I removed the shift light and pulled out the guts and located the red and black wires feeding the LED array. I then ran a wire to a switch and then from the switch I ran the wire back to the light. Before running the wire back to the light I wired in a resistor I bought from Radio Shack...I believe I calculated and used a 50,000 ohm (but its pretty dim...great for night time racing), but you may try something slightly smaller resistor, or even get a three position switch and go with a 50K and a 25K for three different options. I mounted them conveniently and out of the way on the lower airbox tray on the side. Really easy to access with the airbox cover lifter installed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.