Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

6 Speed Transmission revisited

46K views 153 replies 61 participants last post by  streetrodracer 
#1 ·
Ok, I know there are alot of posts on 6 speed transmissions for the Vrod, but I have a question for you more knowledgeable types. I did a google on 6 speed transmission for vrod and it took me to jpcycles.com to a generic right side 6 speed transmission. Just wondering if this would work on a 2011 Nightrod Special? Would be nice to know before I spend close to $1k.

#45 ·
I am currently working on this. I have talked to a manufacturer of very very nice transmissions. They told me the reason they haven't pursued it is market. They don't believe enough of us are willing to tear down the whole motor to swap out the trans. I think there are plenty of us that would... If it can be built, they would be the people to do it. I need to see that enough of us are willing to buy one before I start forking out cash and burning up a bunch of time making it happen. I can't be the only one that's tired of turning 5000rpm on the highway, and grabbing for gears that aren't there.

#47 ·
The way I see it, if you don't want it, don't buy it. In Michigan, the speed limit is 70. If you're not doing at least 80, you're gonna get run down. I'd like a 6th gear. I'd like better performance off the line. You may not want those things. I do. I think some other people will as well...

#52 ·
That is something I have no knowledge of. I admit I am somewhat confused by this, as "prolonged operation" at 60 mph would cause engine damage, following that logic. As a stationary engineer, I am puzzled that someone would design a "combustion pump" with that sort of inherent flaw, esp. our German friends at Porsche, who I regard as being fairly knowledgable when it comes to such things.
I operate equipment under much harsher conditions on a daily basis, some of which has been in pretty much continous operation since the early 1950's...

#56 ·
I think this topic is just a troll.

#57 ·
I would be interested in it if they came out with one. Of course like all of us cost would probably be the determining factor, but we all put money in our bikes and you get what you pay for.

A lot of us want our cake and eat it to, so a 6 speed will allow you to still launch and pull like a freight train with the ability to cruise when you're at highway speed.

Let's get it done, I'm sure there are plenty of V-Rodders that'll pull the motor for this upgrade...I'm one!

#61 ·
Well, it is only an opinion, but I don't think it would use less fuel, I don't see why it would go any faster, and a modern engine does not need an overdrive :D:

I'd quite like a 6 speed box for closer ratios, but that's it...

#63 ·
I really see no need for a 6 speed conversion. I rarely ride over 70mph and am happy with the rpm it is turning at that speed. I have tried topping my V-Rod out but never have, I am not a fan of how the steering feels over 110ish mph the bike needs a steering stabilizer for that, which would look pretty stupid on a cruiser type bike.

#64 ·
That'll be sloppy steering head bearings. Mine was a bit dodge over 70 and definitely scary over 100 fr the first few months until I realised they were loose. Rock stable on the motorway at 120 plus now (and the gearing is fine).

#66 ·
Just did a 3000+ mile ride. Ran 100 mile legs at 5000-5500 RPM. The extra gear would have been nice. Not necessary, but nice. She's got almost 70,000 miles on her now, and runs like a champ. Another cat on here says he's got over 180,000 miles on his, without major work, which makes me feel good about it...

#67 ·
Fit the Euro 30 tooth cog.

#68 ·
oh hell, I also did two 3000 mile rides this past summer.You don't need 6th gear...if you're running 60_70 mph in 4th and 70 plus in 5th? This engine is tougher then y'all think. I did 4500 to 5500 rpm on,150 mile legs with 30 minute breaks aLLC day.stock

#69 ·
It's so funny listening to everyone tell each other whats not needed.... One guy puts thousands in chrome nd bright paint and the next guy powdercoats it black... Who's wrong??? Who didn't need these mods??? Who should have bought a CVO with the chrome? Or A VTX GSXR etc??? We all want different things out of our rides... Sick Rick cuts corners OMG Its not a rocket.. Kaz Drags OMG its not a VMax... The point is alot of guys will spend the $$$.. If you don't want one don't buy it... Even the big bore blower and squeeze guys all want the same thing.. Just a dif way to get there.. Open your eyes to the see what can all be done to the most loved and hated bike on the planet... Hell the airheads hate us.. But would you trade it for a Twin cammer?? I sure wouldn't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#70 ·
Thanks Blacksheep, that's kinda my point. If you like your bike the way it is, that's great. I love mine too. I ride the hell out of it. If you're more the sort of person that sees a stock bike as a sort mechanical blank canvas, you're the sort of person I was really wanting to talk to about this. The customizer, the hotrodder, the drag racer, the performance nut. The folks like me who really just can't leave well enough alone...lol!
I really don't need to hear how it doesn't "need" a 6th gear. You're right. It doesn't "need" it. But I want to totally redo the trans on mine anyway, if I can make it happen. I "want" to make 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears brutal tools of acceleration, even with a stock motor. I "want" to stretch out 5th and 6th, so I get a better cruise, and more top end, without banging 5th off the "Fun Governor". I know I'm not the only one, and those are the folks I'm looking for. You don't have to agree, or like my idea. And if I can't find enough folks that think like I do, that's fine too. I've put a lovely 70,000 miles on mine already, and I can easily enjoy another 70,000 just the way it is. BUT... If I can find a way to make this work, I'm going to. For no other reason other than I'd love a 6 speed trans on this wonderful machine of mine... Same reason many of us have done so many different things to our V-Rods. Because we can...

#78 ·
they have them on( E Bay ). currently there site is being redone . it is a aircraft grade hard anodized part . the wieght is 1.68 lbs , way lighter than the stock heavy weight pulley . it is top quality and the install takes only 15-30 min . my friend will ride to the track on the road pulley and change to the racing pulley and race . then the change back to the stock or road pulley and ride home .way cool part . spdrcr