Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Difference between 06 and 07 engines

5K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  Vambo 
#1 ·
Hello fellow riders. I'm trying to find out if anyone out there knows of any difference between the 2006 and 2007 engines. I have one of each engine for a turbo build. They look the same to me but Harley said they have different part numbers for the engine case. I know 07 is when they went to the 240 tire but I don't know if there's a performance difference between the two or a weak link in one or the other. Please let me know if anyone out there might have some information for me. Thanks. I just don't want to put a ton of money into the wrong engine, if there is one.

#2 ·
I wonder of the different part numbers are for different finishes, such as the wrinkel black used on the R, D, and DX while the cases of the X and AW were a high gloss gunmetal powder coat?

#4 ·
Do you have access to 2006 and 2007 V-Rod parts manuals? My 2007 parts manual shows the "platinum" case for the VRSCAW having a 2005 part number (the part numbers end with a "-05K" suffix), the wrinkle black cases for the VRSCR, VRSCD and VRSCDX also having 2005 part numbers. Only the silver case for the VRSCX has a 2007 part number (the X was also a 1250 where the other V-Rods for 2007 were 1130 cc engines). 2005 was the year the rear engine mounts changed and HD deleted the bushing in the rear of the engine case for the swingarm shaft. I believe that was the only major change in the cases other than exterior finishes until 2008 when everything became a 1250.
Meditate on this. The R and D had narrow 180 rear tires, while the DX has a 240 rear tire. But, the 2007 D used the exact same frame as the 2007 DX and AW along with the same swingarm used by the AW and X models.

#5 ·
Thanks for the info and your time. I don't have a V-Rod parts manual, but I should probably look into getting one. I guess that answers my question. I'm guessing dimensionally they are both the same. I just have to pick one and get building. Thanks again for your time. I appreciate that.

#9 ·
There is no wrong engine, LOL!

The 2007 X model had slightly bigger cylinders, CNC ported heads and higher lift cams. It is a 1250 displacement. I'm fairly sure "1250" was stamped on the heads. The standard in 06 and 07 was an 1130cc. The 1250 became standard I think in 08. Either one should prove more than effective.
Post the part numbers, there is usually a difference at the end like a B or C for black or chrome as an example. Might be all that is to it.

#11 ·
The cases for the 2007 R, D and DX are identical and the aprt number has a -05K suffix. The X cases have a -07 part number. I will have to look at my parts manual tonight after work to see if the X had different cams than other V-Rod models that year.

#19 ·
LOL! :angeldev:

The CVO's are manufactured in the York Pennsylvania plant along with standard production models such as the touring line-up and softails. There is no special plant. They are just stock models with fancy paint, chrome, different displacements. ect. .....oh ya, and a bigazz price tag. The X is also an SE, it's a tribute bike to the Screamin' Eagle Race Team.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.