Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Whats a good place to ride in Montana?

3K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  Bruce Helland 
#1 ·
Looking for a good place to ride in Montana around the 4th of July. A family member as a house in Silverstar its a really SMALL town south of I-90 there's a lot of good ATV riding around there don't look like much for a street bike. I'll be up there for about 7 days. Any help or suggestions would be great.
Thanks

#14 ·
:them:

How far do you plan on riding? Yellowstone Park is about 175 miles, Glacier National Park would be nearly a 300 mile ride (each way). If you haven't been to either park, they're both very well worth visiting. (Though July would be peak tourist season for either park.)

You really can't go wrong going anywhere on the western side of Montana as far as scenery goes. No matter where you go you're surrounded by mountains, forests, meadows, small lakes, and wildlife.

#15 ·
:them:

How far do you plan on riding? Yellowstone Park is about 175 miles, Glacier National Park would be nearly a 300 mile ride (each way). If you haven't been to either park, they're both very well worth visiting. (Though July would be peak tourist season for either park.)

You really can't go wrong going anywhere on the western side of Montana as far as scenery goes. No matter where you go you're surrounded by mountains, forests, meadows, small lakes, and wildlife and Militia's.
fixed that for you.

#6 ·
Yeah, don't you know there's no roads in Montana.
You need to get yourself to L.A. and join that parade of cartwheeling clowns up the dusty canyon to the Rock Shop. Be sure to wear your choice of pirate costume or unisex moto-tard.:banghead:

On the other hand this is Beartooth Pass above Redlodge Montana on the road to Cooke City. Its about 3 hours east of Silver Star. I rode out from California to enjoy this awsome curve-fest. It tops out over 11,000 feet in the Shoshone wilderness where you can ride back west to Silver Star via the Hellroaring Plateau and Livingston.

#11 ·
Actually right now I wish I was in Cali it has been below freezing and snowy here for the last 3 weeks...

glacier park's going to the sun highway is a great ride, but it may be a little packed on 4th of july.

#12 ·
Yep, when I saw the topic my first thought was right now the only place you want to ride a motorcycle is to the garage. Ice and motorcycles don't usually mix too well. July through September is another story. Now is when you buff up the Arctic Cat.

#16 ·
If I ever get a chance to fly and ride, it will be Montana. The riding there would be awesome. In the east its wide open Big Sky country and the west incredible mountain riding...Beartooth, Flathead, Missoula, Glacier National Park...and most of it all by yourself.

#23 ·
Gave it a thought so to speak. Bear with me, its long. Trying to ride on Montana wave if its still up. People here known to help each over out, I see it everywhere. There are PLENTY of bikes in flathead lake area, thousands. What if we, people who live here form some sort of unity and call it " good people" ? The only challenge is to design the middle patch, suggestions welcome and let's have some fun with that, shall we ? Lux, Cmon, don't let me down!
Basically the idea is simple . If u ride or you stop somewhere, and see something that needs attention as far as, how should I pit it..
If the situation u came upon, however the actual place and time benefits from your participation your are obligated to apply urself to it. We are good people. That's what we do.Good on the top, people on the bottom, how does that sound?
Perhaps GP could be area could be just a chapter of a bigger picture? Most of u here that I learned r good people, its true. Forum rocks for most part ,fk yeah. Any bikes , any, are always welcome but if we start " Good People" with rods we will be the first! Remember angels helping out that school that got shot up? Long shot but we can be doing something like that, minus bullsht. Anyone?
I know, its ambitions of me to speak that way, but then again self medication roks, at least with the purpose. Oh yeah, all of y'all patch holders don't trip, its just a talkin now

#25 ·
From Silver Star you have many good rides. What route are you taking to get up here? Once you are there head down to Twin Bridges then Virginia City to Ennis. Lot of history in that area. Go up to Norris then over to Gallatin Gateway and head up the canyon to West Yellowstone.
You can do the park loop either to Cody or to Tower Junction, Cooke City. If you go to Cody, head north from there and take WY 296 up to US 212 then east over Beartooth Pass to Red Lodge.
Thats just one suggestion. North from Silver Star you can head up to Whitehall, Boulder then Helena. From there head up to Lincoln (home of the Unabomber) then over to Kalispell and Glacier Park. Hell, I could keep you riding every day you were up here.

When the time comes, PM me and I will give you my phone # and I can suggest more rides. Best of all, most of the time you dont have to worry about a lot of traffic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.