Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Dually - F exhaust

7K views 57 replies 22 participants last post by  RodKing 
#1 ·
I did it. Muscle exhaust on my DX.

I know there are folks that don't like them and consider them inferior to a 2 into 1 setup. Well, I did the 2 into 1 since 2008 and honestly I can say, good riddance. After I post this, I'm ordering some V&H slip ons. They sound awesome on my wife's F, so that should be the happy medium I'm looking for.

I know someone will ask, so....yes, I'll sell my 2 into 1 Indy. I'll consider offers, but I'll tell you up front, they've been running strong since early 2008. The set screw that holds the baffle in isn't even visible due to dragging, one of the spring holder is scraped completely off, but they're wrapped pretty good :D

Thanks to Jason Phillips!!!!

Bam

See less See more
#4 ·
I got the complete setup from a forum member, brackets etc all stock muscle parts. Bolted right up in about 45 minutes.

That looks cool !!!

I noticed you have a custom derby cover ??? is that a Porsche logo on there?
Yep, both sides via Pondo a few years ago.

#6 ·
No doubt!!! Rolling Thunder is coming up soon too.

#13 ·
I haven't rode it yet, but my wife has a 2011 F model, her's never....rarely scrapes

what seat fender tire size combo please
Seat: Stock DX Seat cut down and reformed in the rear
Fender: American Ironhorse Slammer fender I got off ebay for $50
Tire: 280 Metzeler

#15 ·
I did it. Muscle exhaust on my DX.

I know there are folks that don't like them and consider them inferior to a 2 into 1 setup. Well, I did the 2 into 1 since 2008 and honestly I can say, good riddance. After I post this, I'm ordering some V&H slip ons. They sound awesome on my wife's F, so that should be the happy medium I'm looking for.

I know someone will ask, so....yes, I'll sell my 2 into 1 Indy. I'll consider offers, but I'll tell you up front, they've been running strong since early 2008. The set screw that holds the baffle in isn't even visible due to dragging, one of the spring holder is scraped completely off, but they're wrapped pretty good :D

Thanks to Jason Phillips!!!!
nice to see another one join the club :D
Bam

#17 ·
Pics - review

Took a test ride this morning: loss of power....uhhhh yeah, but it's sooooo smooth. Did some searching for a PC III map, came across a SE filter, topless stock exhaust map, seems to work fine. No studders, smooth throttle, etc.

Forgot how smooth these are from the factory. V&H comp slip-ons arrive Tuesday, can't wait. My wife's setup is throaty, but smooth so we'll see how the DX likes em, like there's a difference :D

No scraping on either side.

#19 ·
jsims, the duals look good and I think the V&H will make it even better. Your lower stance seems to have a higher chance of scraping with the stock dual pipes but I haven't scraped exhaust since removing the stock pipes...

#20 ·
Yeah, they're pretty low when slammed. I normally ride about an inch or so higher than that. I couldn't stand those stems sticking out, so I took the end caps off and cut them down flush to where the end caps mount. Can't wait for the slipons. My wife said it sounds like a sissy bike. It's a good "very temporary" change though.

#23 ·
Nah, I snipped the stick off and now it's just used as a plug. I check the oil with a long zip tie that I marked the length of the original dipstick. I may get the F clutch cover, but it's not necessary.

#24 ·
Gonna give these a try

#25 ·
Update

V&H Competition slipons came in today, took about 15 minutes to install. Sounds great, returned a little power and they look more appropriate on the DX than the stock F cans

#27 ·
That looks bad ass. I may be asking the wrong question as I haven't done a search (I know, shame on me), and I haven't checked V&H's site (even worse), but I am asking a theoretical question here.

If V&H has a full F aftermarket pipe, would it take anything else to put those on a DX? It should come with all the mounting hardware to where you can just bolt it right up... Right?

#28 ·
V&H only has full 2 into 1 exhausts. These head pipes are stock F pipes with V&H slipons

#29 ·
I like seeing something different that looks good. Tastefully done sir, tastefully done.

The derby cover looks pretty amazing, I've seen another member doing random designs lately too. I wonder if it can be etched into something black so its just a silver outline? What kinda fork cap mod did you go with? I really need to hide mine.

So where is the V&H 2:1 pipe then? :)

#31 ·
The derby cover looks pretty amazing, I've seen another member doing random designs lately too. I wonder if it can be etched into something black so its just a silver outline? What kinda fork cap mod did you go with? I really need to hide mine.

So where is the V&H 2:1 pipe then? :)
The derby cover is anodized black with silver porsche logo, the clutch cover is polished aluminum with porsche logo.

Fork caps are the fluted HD caps that I painted black.

2:1 is sitting on my garage floor

Look awesome...it makes me think...hmmm...:).

How loud is this setup against 2-1 V&H VRSCDX...you have had that so you can tell the difference?
the 2:1 is obnoxious, probably for a number of reasons: the head pipes are paper thin, both cylinders are escaping out of one megaphone...etc. The duals are an acceptable loud with a deep note.

#32 ·
Anybody tried fitting Muscle exhausts to a 2007 DX ?

I know that there aren't any O2 sensors on the 07 so I guess all you would need to do is plug up the holes - a couple of bolts should do it.

Anything else to be aware of ?

The only reason I'm doing it is to give more leg room to my wife who sometimes rides as passenger - it may just be easier to adapt the exhaust mount if there's enough room to fit the Muscle passenger pegs with the DX exhaust ...

#33 ·
Which exhaust seals did you use ? The Muscle ones have different part numbers than the VRSCDX.

Asking becuase I've just bought a Muscle exhaust - mainly because of the passenger pegs being in a different position.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.