Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Custom Night Rod??

17K views 54 replies 11 participants last post by  Dark Vader 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Keep your eyes on the classifieds on this site as well as ebay and you'll find all sorts of custom NRS's for sale. Good luck.

#5 ·
thnx for the replies. I had thought about just purchasing one stock and modding myself, but that means far less mods for a long time etc...

id much rather buy one that has already been customised and is in good condition.

ive seen some here that are within my budget, just that i was a bit late to the party to close the deal. lol

im currently talking to this guy about this one... http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/3359340510.html

if you guys have any other suggestions please let me know as i am going to make a purchase in the nxt cpl days.

sorry to be an annoying newb.

#12 ·
ok so im gonna get this one in the link above and have the 300 out on. Now is it just a matter of ordering a tire and kit, then taking it to a place locally that will install everything for me? forgive me for being clueless.
The cheapest 300 kit I have see is from Alwayslooking... though not sure if he is still making them. 2nd cheapest is from HogPro and will put you in the 4k range.

My fear with the one in the link is the quality of the turbo install and qulity of the repaint job. I can see the paint is coming off on the upper belt guard. The bike was orginally gloss black, but he repainted when he cut his rear fender. There is a possibility he just took some flat black spray paint and did it himself.

Personally I would say buy a cheap 08 DX (~8k), order new airtank/fender combo(~1k), get a custom seat (~500), get air ride (~1.2k), hogpro 300 (~4k), grips/pegs/mirrors (~1k), custom paint (~2k), and custom rims (~4k). You would be under your budget and have exactly what you want and know installs were done properly.

#15 ·
It's your bike but a 300 will only make it heavier, slower and harder for cornering, not to mention you'll spend a couple $K's on the conversion and also everytime you need to change that rear tire. If I where you I would check the condition of the bike and how it is running and tuned and THEN after you've put a couple thousan miles of it get a nicer set of wheels ;)

#16 ·
ok, so i've decided to take the advice of Whosurbuddiee and get a 08 nrs in good condition and completely stock (minus a sissy bar) and ive just placed my order w GR Customs for:

1 x V-Rod Custom Front Fenders
Model GR 19" "Xtreme"
Custom Paint Flat Black
1 x Gladiator Grill Headlight
1 x 49mm Fork Boots
1 x Flat End Billet Grips
Style Black Diamond Flat XO
1 x Complete Hot Toppers Kit
Kit HTBV-ROD7 BLACK
1 x Hot Toppers Brembo Brake Caliper Kit
HT Options HTBV-BRAKES BLACK
1 x SGR Custom Airbox Covers
Screen Color Black
Custom Paint Flat Black
Model Dual Vents SGR
1 x 6" LED Sidemount
Finish Satin Black
1 x LED TURN SIGNAL & BRAKE STRIPS
Model 13 4710-15S Smoked Strip with Red turns
Option 2 2 xtra Dual Elements
Option CD-Signal Stabilizer
1 x Rizoma Forward Controls
Model PE254B
Pass Pegs PE601B
1 x Rizoma Handlebars w/ Clamshell
Model MA204B
1 x Precision Cut Grills
Finish Black Powder Coating
1 x Flat End Diamond Pegs
Style Black Diamond Flat XO
Shifter Pegs Black Diamond Toe Peg
1 x Metzler Tires
Model ME880 260/40VR18
1 x Metzler Tires
Model ME880 120/70ZR19
1 x "SUPER BRACE" FORK STABILIZER
Finish Denim Black #5192DB
1 x VRod #14 Wheels front
Option Cut and Powder Coated
1 x VRod Stars Wheels rear
Option Cut and Powder Coated
1 x CFR Slip-on Exhaust
Model CFR-VEX001 Black
1 x Power Commander V
1 x V-Rod Headlight Mounting Kit
Finish Satin Black
1 x LED "Wrap Around" Turn Signals
LED Wrap Around Style Black W/Smoked Lens (set) WA49-BS
Eclipze Module
1 x Trask Turbo for NightRod Specials
Model DX Intercooled System + $5,490.00

and i also went to the arnott site and ordered the air ride suspension kit.
ultimately i went a hair over budget, but im excited as a 5 year old.

feedback anyone?

ps, thank you to everyone for their help!

#17 ·
You just made his xmas. :)

Everything you ordered you should be able to bolt on yourself with simple hand tools. Plus it gives you a chance to get to know bike. My only real suggestion would be to not do the hot toppers unless this is just a show bike. If you plan on riding it, they will rust your bolt heads out. Also why did you get the Rizoma forward control kit and toe pegs?

#18 ·
i only got the rizoma forward control kit because i thought it was a replacement from the stocks. so, for the look?
and copy on the hot toppers. i wont use em. i just got em for the look but if theyre gonna damage the bike, i won't.

and yeah, after i placed the order... he sent a long email and we had a phone chat.. he said he hadn't had that large of an order all at once before. i found that bizarre!

#20 ·
Hot toppers look amazing, but they trap moisture inside and quickly rut the both heads away. Fine for a show bike that doesnt really see the elements.

Both the rizoma forward control kit and the flat end diamond pegs are pretty much the exact same thing. You can only install one or the other.

#23 ·
Install time wont be bad, you can probably have it all together in 2 weeks since it is all prepainted.

-Front Fender - (4 bolts) 10 minutes
-Gladiator Grill Headlight w/ braket (2 bolts and wiring) - 30 minutes
-49mm Fork Boots - (4 bolts for tripple trees, 4 bolts for calipers) You will also need a motorcycle jack for this job - 2 hours
-SUPERBRACE FORK STABILIZER - Install after fork boots - 1 hour
-Flat End Billet Grips - Pretty simple, use the step by step instructions in the Service Manual - 1 hour
-LED "Wrap Around" Turn Signals (install after fort boots and superbrace) - 1 hour-Complete Hot Toppers Kit - Ask him to credit you back for this - 0 hours
-SGR Custom Airbox Covers - (Just need to relocate gage 1 bolt to remove the cluster, 4 bolts to get the gage out of the holder) - 1 hour
-LED Sidemount - Just do this when you install the air ride - 30 min for wiring
-LED TURN SIGNAL & BRAKE STRIPS (not sure why you have this since you didnt do a custom rear fender)
-Rizoma Forward Controls (2 clips and 4 bolts) - 1 hour
-Flat End Diamond Pegs (same thing as above, pick one and return the other)
-Rizoma Handlebars w/ Clamshell - (wont need the clamshell, 2 bolts to replace handbars plus controls) - 2 hours
-Precision Cut Grills - (2 bolts) - 30 min
-Metzler Tires (Have to take these to get mounted and balanced)
-Vrod #14 Wheels (Watch the videos) - 4 hours
Also you will still need to buy replacement bearings to install new wheels
-CFR Slip-on Exhaust - 1 hour
-Power Commander V - Install with turbo
-Trask Turbo - All depends on your skills plan a full weekend.

#27 ·
You still will need some more stuff. Tools (if you dont have tons of allen drivers), motorcycle jack, wheel bearings, tire install and balance, someone to tune your bike on a dyno, oil & brake fluid, locktite (maybe another 1k all combined)

I would say you can easily install every single thing with basic hand tools except the turbo kit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.