Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Bike Shut-off mechanisms

3K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  FABSTER 
#1 ·
What kind of shut off mechanisms our bikes have (other than the lean angle shut off when the bike leans 45 degrees or more)??? Under which circumstances they come into play and shut off the bike while running? :coff:

#3 ·
Running out of gas would work!:hidesbeh::D

#4 ·
Bike Shut off...

I'm not sure but once I was stuck in slow traffic, fans running and my bike would shut off, it would easily start again but it did this to me a couple of times that day and it hasn't done it again.
Is it possible they shut down to avoid over heating?

#5 ·
I'm not sure but once I was stuck in slow traffic, fans running and my bike would shut off, it would easily start again but it did this to me a couple of times that day and it hasn't done it again.
Is it possible they shut down to avoid over heating?
Shouldn't ever get that hot. That's what the fans are for.

#14 ·
FWIW this is my specific case:

Same thing happens to me when I hit the nitrous and the bike is reaching top speed/rpm.... My mechanic needs to check it but he thinks it can also be the lean angle module cutting off. It happened to him when he raced his V-rod and he dumped the clutch while launching, the bike would shut off automatically apparently because of the sudden "shake". In my case I guess it might be a sudden "shake" while shifting or something, my other guess was some kind of lean/rich AFR shutdown mechanism the bike had but in my case the bike (05 SE) doesn't even have O2 sensors so I don't think such mechanism is even possible... The module is still in the stock location and no modifications have been made to the area where it's installed...

#18 ·
:rofl: Guys, my limiter is set at 10K to avoid any surprises while spraying but the shifter is set at 9K so needless to say the bike actually shuts off before reaching 9K on high gear and it's definitely warmed up after regular riding on the street

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.