Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Reading codes

174K views 217 replies 82 participants last post by  Thekat 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
The IM (instrument module) is capable of displaying DTC's (diagnostic trouble codes).

1. Ignition off
  2. push the odometer reset button in & hold. Make sure the run switch is on.
  3. turn ignition to run and release the button (you will see P, S &C displayed)
  4. each letter represents an area of diagnostics... the one that is flashing is the one you are going to check. To move from one letter to the next, you push the button one time. (from P to S to C and back to P, etc.)
  5. to get DTC within an area, you push and hold the button in for 5 seconds and if there are any, it will be displayed... you can release the button. As you push the button again, other codes will appear if they are there. If there are not any the word 'none' appears.
  6. Record the codes.
  7. To determine if a code is current or historic, you clear the codes while being displayed by pushing in and holding the button until 'clear' comes up. Turn off the ignition... then crank or restart the bike... turn off, and then repeat the coding process. If a code is there now, it's current... if not, it was historic.

See less See more
#129 ·
Ya hey,what Hal said for the o2 sensors.It is my understanding that the clip that plugs into the harness makes the ecm think the engine is always cold-delivering max fuel that the pc administers per programing. Anyway it's fixed.I bought c.levers on the forum and either I misread the p/n or they were mislabeled in the ad. Without the original pkg. you can't verify. They are wrong.Put stock lever back on and po134 was done.As far as the sensor code,as long as I was workin on the bike anyway I checked all the conec.,you know,wiggle em make sure there tight,and that code is also done.I think it was the stern talkin to I gave it.As far as the clutch switch testing-I put the bike in gear and tried the starter(foot firmly on brake)and it would not turn even tho as far as I can tell the lever was not contacting the switch.As you say Steve the tsm may ignore the code as far as in gear starting goes.Thanks for the ideas they did get me movin in the right direction.1130 forum rocks!

#130 ·
It's a few weeks later & now, the only code I get along with a CEL is P0505. (air idle control) The other code (Fuel Sender Voltage) is gone, I never fixed it, wtf? FML

#131 ·
DTC P0505 is loss of idle speed control. It can be set for a number of reasons.

The P0505 DTC sets whenever the idle RPM is ±200 from the target idle RPM for more than 5 s and the IAC motor pintle is maxed out (RPM is too high and pintle is closed or RPM is too low and pintle is open).

Some possible problems that can cause this DTC to set without setting other DTCs include intake air leaks, contaminated fuel, and miss-adjusted throttle cables.

#135 ·
i need some help. bike is acting very weird. i keep trying to pull some codes, and it's not cooperating. perhaps i'm doing it wrong, but my father and i both cant seem to get the codes to show. i hold the odometer button and the miles lights up and shows my current milage. i have the switch to run, and i move the ignition to ign and when let go of the odometer button as soon as i do (i've also tried holding it longer, and much much longer) and it just functions as normal. when i turn the bike on, it lights up as normal for the most part, except i cant get the neutral light to glow, regardless if it's in neutral or not, and i cant get the light to come on either. the headlights with still go from high to low beam, but the turn signals wont function. when i hit the start, nothing happens. and neither of the lights that show up after turning on the ignition or run switch and go away after starting light up either. i realize this is a lot of information and it's not exactly well written, i'm just kinda panicing.

yesterday it was fine. what i did was add an autotune to my powercommander. the ecm fuse was pulled during the entire process. we did go through and check all the fuses and they all seem to be fine. i also went through and checked all possible plugs and connections to make sure they were all tight. any info will be helpful, thanks.

#136 ·
Eerror code: "P1653 Tachometer low 4.6"

I've pulled the following error code from my 2006 VRSCA: "P1653 Tachometer low 4.6 -- instrumentation module self diagnostics". I've cancelled the error code but it comes back on after start-up. Can anyone tell me what it means and how to solve it. I will appreciate your help.

#137 ·
I've pulled the following error code from my 2006 VRSCA: "P1653 Tachometer low 4.6 -- instrumentation module self diagnostics". I've cancelled the error code but it comes back on after start-up. Can anyone tell me what it means and how to solve it. I will appreciate your help.
That is not a "normal" DTC to see on a VRSC bike except the '05 and '06 VRSCE models that have analog tachometers.

Are you sure it's P1653? The digits are sometimes hard to read.

If it really is a P1653 then the next question to ask is, do you have any aftermarket electronic device connected to pin #3 of the ECM?

If so, then it would've been helpful to mention that and you'll need to disconnect it and have it checked out before you connect it again.

If nothing is connected to pin #3 and this DTC keeps returning, you'll need a new ECM.

#138 ·
Thanks for the feedback. It is indeed error code P1653. There is nothing connected to pin #3. The bike has a brand new battery, and the tank had to syphoned empty recently for shipping, if that could lead to any conclusion.
Any further feedback will be highly appreciated.

#140 ·
2008 vrscdx codes

hello everyone i just signed up on the v-rod forum ,just heard about the site ,looks pretty cool...have a question about my 2008 vrscdx codes my check engine light came on for the first time in 4 yrs ,it just flashed on for about 3 sec then went out ,about 5 minutes later it flashed again for 3 sec then went back out. this all happened while i was driving , got home checked the codes came up with code
po113 before i cleared the code pn32376-08 came up then cleared it
then went to next letter 's' i checked for codes 'none' came up but a different pn# and a different pn# for 'c' and went to 'b' and pushed the button and the display went blank then 4 sec later it displayed 'no r5p' ....what do all these #s mean ? ps. i unplugged the intake air temp sensor all looked good i put some dialectric grease on plug pins put back together , the po113 code was historic
now everything is back to normal ..hope someone out there can help....

#141 ·
...have a question about my 2008 vrscdx codes my check engine light came on for the first time in 4 yrs ,it just flashed on for about 3 sec then went out ,about 5 minutes later it flashed again for 3 sec then went back out. this all happened while i was driving , got home checked the codes came up with code
po113 before i cleared the code pn32376-08 came up then cleared it
then went to next letter 's' i checked for codes 'none' came up but a different pn# and a different pn# for 'c' and went to 'b' and pushed the button and the display went blank then 4 sec later it displayed 'no r5p' ....what do all these #s mean ? ps. i unplugged the intake air temp sensor all looked good i put some dialectric grease on plug pins put back together , the po113 code was historic
now everything is back to normal ..hope someone out there can help....
You probably had an "intermittent" bad connection on the IAT sensor (P0113 is intake air temperature sensor open). When you turn on the ignition the CEL and key icon should both illuminate for 4 s and then turn off. If these remain off you have no trouble codes. If either light comes back on after 4 s and then goes off after 8 s you have an "historic" DTC set (CEL means the ECM or IM set the code, key icon means the TSM/TSSM set the code). If either lamp remains on continuously you have a "current" DTC set. An indicator illuminating and then going off while riding means you had an "intermittent" bad connection or component. The pnxxxxx-xx codes are indicating the modules and ECM "flash ID" that are communicating on the serial bus. I'm assuming you don't have ABS. That's why you saw a "no rsp" for the brake module.

#142 ·
hey stever975 thanks for the info ..you are right i don;t have abs brakes ,my dtc letters on my vrod are p s c b are you telling me that the letter b is for abs brakes ?
what are the pn #;s after 'none' comes up ? and is there a post out there for 2008 codes ? all i can find is codes for 2007

#146 ·
....have the following on my 08 night rod special.

P0113
P0562
Pn32376-08
C0562
C1216
Pn40664-08 ....
P0113 means you had your IAT sensor (intake air temperature) sensor unplugged
P0562 means the voltage at ECM terminal #13 (switched power, supplied by battery via IGNITION fuse and RUN/STOP switch) was below 12.2 V with engine RPM > 2000
C0562 means ABS ECU terminals #10 & 20 are below 9 V and MPH > 5 or when terminal #19 is below 8.7 V and MPH > 5
C1216 (rear brake switch was open) means the ABS system detected the front brake switch as not closed and the ABS ECU detects 1) an open in the rear brake input circuit and 2) an open in the ground circuit to the rear brake switch for 2 at least seconds.

The other two numbers aren't DTCs. Pn32376-08 is the P/N for the ECM flash and 40664-08 is the P/N for the ABS ECU

You need to clear them and see which return to determine if the codes is still "active" but:
P0113 is fixed by plugging in the IAT sensor,
P0562 and C0562 are symptoms of a weak battery or bad RUN/STOP switch
C1216 is caused by a bad rear brake light switch, an open tail lamp circuit, a bad ABS diode pack, an open rear brake input circuit to the ABS ECU, or a bad ABS ECU.

#147 ·
Went Topless now have CEL on

Okay I just went completely topless with some venting holes in bottom pan and put in the IAT relocation kit for 02s. I started it and noticed CEL light lit, then took it out for spin. After a whileI noticed the CEL was only half lit not the whole icon ? Ran up the rpms in a couple of gears and felt a little stumble in the acceleration then it cleared and I noticed the CEL was out... Few min later it came back on full. I just checked and cleared the P0113 code then restarted bike and it set P0113 again I did this twice more code came back. I checked IAT sensor and it was tight I unplugged sprayed elect cleaner blew it off and replaced it, rechecked and code came back .This is a new IAT sensor that came with the relocate kit, any ideas??????

#150 ·
That was it bad connection at the deutsch connection a blob of solder wouldnt let one pin go in all the way and make a connection.Fixed that and then cleared the old code and started it CEL was out let it run a few minutes and all seems ok.Rain stopped so I'll have to take it for a spin....:D

#154 ·
Instructions for Reading Codes on Late Model Bikes

For newer bikes the instructions are as follows (this comes from page 2-1 of the 2010 EDM = electrical diagnostic manual, P/N 99499-10):

1. To enter diagnostic mode press and hold the trip odometer reset switch while turning the IGN ON.
2. Release the trip odometer reset switch. "diag" should appear on the odometer display.
3. Press and release the trip odometer reset switch. "PSCb" will appear on the odometer display.
4. PSCb indicates the different modules that could display codes if equipped.
• P - ECM codes
• S - TSM/TSSM/HFSM codes
• C - IM codes
• b - ABS codes
5. Quickly press and release the trip odometer reset switch to cycle through the letters. The letters will flash as they are selected.
6. Once the corresponding letter is flashing to the desired module press and hold the trip odometer reset switch.
7. If no DTCs are present the odometer will display "none".
8. If any DTCs are stored in the module either current or historic the odometer will display the DTC. Quickly pressing and releasing the trip odometer reset switch will cycle through the stored DTCs.
9. If odometer displays "no rsp" then the motorcycle may not be equipped with the module. If the motorcycle is equipped with the selected module then go to other modules and look for applicable communication codes.
10. When all the DTCs have been cycled the odometer will display "end".
11. To clear all the DTCs in that module press and hold the trip odometer reset switch. If DTCs are not to be cleared quickly press and release the trip odometer reset switch. The part number of the module will be displayed.
12. Press and release the trip odometer reset switch again to continue to the next module.
13. Turn the IGN OFF to exit diagnostic mode.

#193 ·
For newer bikes the instructions are as follows (this comes from page 2-1 of the 2010 EDM = electrical diagnostic manual, P/N 99499-10):

1. To enter diagnostic mode press and hold the trip odometer reset switch while turning the IGN ON.
2. Release the trip odometer reset switch. "diag" should appear on the odometer display.
3. Press and release the trip odometer reset switch. "PSCb" will appear on the odometer display.
4. PSCb indicates the different modules that could display codes if equipped.
• P - ECM codes
• S - TSM/TSSM/HFSM codes
• C - IM codes
• b - ABS codes
5. Quickly press and release the trip odometer reset switch to cycle through the letters. The letters will flash as they are selected.
6. Once the corresponding letter is flashing to the desired module press and hold the trip odometer reset switch.
7. If no DTCs are present the odometer will display "none".
8. If any DTCs are stored in the module either current or historic the odometer will display the DTC. Quickly pressing and releasing the trip odometer reset switch will cycle through the stored DTCs.
9. If odometer displays "no rsp" then the motorcycle may not be equipped with the module. If the motorcycle is equipped with the selected module then go to other modules and look for applicable communication codes.
10. When all the DTCs have been cycled the odometer will display "end".
11. To clear all the DTCs in that module press and hold the trip odometer reset switch. If DTCs are not to be cleared quickly press and release the trip odometer reset switch. The part number of the module will be displayed.
12. Press and release the trip odometer reset switch again to continue to the next module.
13. Turn the IGN OFF to exit diagnostic mode.
Thanks for sharing. That's very useful.

#155 ·
suggestions please.

Any help would be great.
Yesterday i gave my bike an oil change and a wash.
Now i have the tach light stay on while the bikes ignition is off and when the ignition is on the display says d i a g which tells me i've obviously gotten something wet that i shouldn't have. :banghead:
I've followed the steps (exactly) to see if i could bring up some codes to diagnose the problem but with no success. all i see is d i a g
Has anyone else had this problem and/or know what i can do to fix this??
So far i have disconnected all plugs and looked for water in a plug but all i found was a little bit of water around the odometer reset button.

Cheers Paul

#156 ·
Has anyone else had this problem and/or know what i can do to fix this? ....
You've shorted out the odometer reset switch with moisture. This has happened to many owners that aren't careful with the water spray when washing the bike.

You need to dry out the gauge cluster especially the reset switch. This is best done by removing the instrument cluster from the housing. On a VRSCDX follow these steps:
  1. Remove MAXI fuse (under upper right side cover)
  2. Remove upper fastener at back of cluster
  3. Rotate cluster down and remove harness connector (squeeze two release tabs together)
  4. Remove hinge fastener and then slide cluster off hinge peg
  5. Remove 4 fasteners at rear of housing and separate front bezel and housing from cluster
  6. Air dry cluster or use some electronics parts cleaner
  7. To assemble cluster reverse steps. Torque values:
4 rear fasteners: 1.3 to 1.9 Nm = 12 to 16 in•lbs
Hinge and upper fasteners: 2.2 to 2.8 Nm = 20 to 24 in•lbs​

#164 ·
Should I be getting a "no response" when checking the "b" codes?
The run switch WAS on when I got the message....
If by "b" codes you mean those from the ABS module, or the last set in the sequence:
P = powertrain or ECM codes (codes start with the letter "P" = Powertrain or "U" = undefined)
S = security or TSSM codes (codes start with the letter "B" = Body)
C = cluster or IM codes (codes start with the letter "B" = Body)
b = brakes or ABS codes (codes start with the letter "C" = Chassis)​
Then, if you don't have ABS, the odometer will display "no rsp".

#184 ·
where is the trip odometer button on a 2012 v rod muscle

I can not find the trip odometer button on a 2012 v rod muscle. the harley store said it was on the left handle bar but it is not there and it is not on the gauge cluster, i am going crazy i have the check engine light on and want to get the code?????? any help. we have moved the gauge cluster to the tank mount but that should not matter.

#186 ·
I can not find the trip odometer button on a 2012 v rod muscle. the harley store said it was on the left handle bar but it is not there and it is not on the gauge cluster, i am going crazy i have the check engine light on and want to get the code?????? any help. we have moved the gauge cluster to the tank mount but that should not matter.
where is the trip odometer button on a 2012 vrod muscle??? it is not on the gauge cluster adn not on the left handlebar. going crazy
Have you tried reading your owner's manual?

Here's the appropriate page in the on-line version for your year and it's shown as item "5".

By moving the cluster you did a good job of hiding it.

#187 ·
You are exactly correct by moving the gauges to the tank cover it hid the trip button. I got to it yesterday and pulled code PO113 which is an IAT Sensor. I am investigating that now. There is a plug at the back of the Tank cover my wife noticed at bike week that is unplugged so i may get lucky i am getting back on it this afternoon. Thanks

#188 ·
Would anyone happen to know where the IAT sensor code PO113 is located on a 2012 Vrod Muscle? I am also wondering if that would fall under warranty beings the bike is still under warranty. I am taking it in today to be checked at Harley and i asked the service guy on the phone and he had no idea where it is or if warranty will cover?? I suppoose when i get there someone should be able to tell me.

#189 ·
First, if the "service guy" doesn't know what a P0113 code is and how to fix it I would be looking for another dealer.

When you see the P0113 code (and it's current) it means your IAT sensor is unplugged. This code is stored in the ECM but more importantly, the IAT sensor is mounted in the air cleaner cover near the snorkel tube. Plug in the sensor connector (push the wire bail in while making the connection and then release it) and then clear the code.

If the IAT sensor is already plugged in then the codes is probably "historic". A current code is one that's now active, an historic code is one that's been stored due to a previous problem (it will clear automatically after 50 "good run cycles" or you can clear it as explained in this post.

#190 ·
I agree on the dealer answer. we had a TAB performance tuner and pipes installed right after we purchased in saying this i took everything apart friday afternoon and the plug in the air cleaner is not plugged in to anything it is just laying inside the air box but now there is no where to plug it in being they replaced the air cleaner when the pipes were installed. the wire and plug are just laying in there so i am not sure what is going on the light has never came on until we were in PC for bike week and the bike has 9k miles on it now. I guess beings i have an appointment i will take it by the dealer the guy i talked to was hopefully just the scheduler. For conversation even the O2 sensors are not plugged to anything but again the light has never came on but now it is not running right either. Thank you for your assistance.