Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Filing Suit to Harley davidson Store in Greece for Stealing my DX

7K views 51 replies 23 participants last post by  jacobyvic 
#1 ·
Because of the bad financial situation in Greece I decided to sell my bike some time ago. Therefore, I went to the official Harley Davidson Store in Thessaloniki, Greece, towards the end of July of the present year and talked to the manager about my bike. I was asking for €26000 and if the H-D store could sell my bike they would earn about €500 for the commission. A few weeks later, the official manager of the Harley Davidson Store in Thessaloniki, Greece, called Mr. Manos Sarros, told me that the company is interested in buying my bike at the price of €20.000. It was not enough money for me but I was offered to be paid cash by 28th Sept 2012 ( about a month later). I left my bike at the H-D store, and signed a private agreement between me and the manager of the H-D store in Thessaloniki, inside the store, which was saying that I was going to be paid at the above date. On the 28th Sept 2012, I was not paid. I tried to call the H-D store in Thessaloniki but no one answered. I also called the manager of the H-D store in Thessaloniki on his cell-phone but it was switched off. I was out of town so I sent my brother to go to the H-D store in Thessaloniki to see what was going on and he told me that the Store was CLOSED permanently and there was hardly any bike inside. Immediately I went to the Official H-D Head-store in Athens (in Marousi) to see what was going on. They told me that the store was going to be closed and, as for my case, they told me that the company had no idea of the deal. They also said that their aim was to pay me according to the documented agreement that I had presented to them because they were responsible for the actions of their manager in their H-D store but they wanted some time. I was patiently waiting until today when they called me from the central H-D offices in Athens and told me that they were finally going to offer me €10.000 !!! I was deceived, I lost my bike, I was waiting for so long and the offer from the H-D store is to give me €10.000.

All these dealers i wrote about are the official according to the Harley Davidson website: http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Content/Pages/dealer-locator/dealer-locator.html?locale=en_US&bmLocale=en_US#/locator?query=greece&latlng=39.074208,21.824311999999963&page=1&bordered=true

I need your help to contact as soon as possible with the central H-D motor company. I can find an address but no email http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Content/Pages/Utility/contact-us.html

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I suspect you will find the importer into Greece is an entirely separate legal entity.

Sent from my e1808_v75_jbaol1_5647 using Motorcycle.com App

#4 ·
I do not know how titling works in Greece but in the states if you did not sign it over and still hold title, I do not see how they can sell it or transfer it to another party. Report it stolen, and/or send the police. Do you have insurance? You might get more from the insurance company than they were offering. Just make trouble for them anyway and every way you can.

#6 ·
It's the official Hsrley-Davidson in Greece. You can check it from the following link:
http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Content/Pages/dealer-locator/dealer-locator.html?locale=en_US&bmLocale=en_US#/locator?query=GREECE&latlng=39.074208,21.824311999999963&page=1&bordered=true&c=39.7678768978531,23.13549413437498&z=8&selected_dealer=7155

Of course I didn't sign anything so the exmanager of H-D store in Thessaloniki can not be sold. I had also insurance but they don't insure bikes in Greece for stealing incidents. I will take H-D of Greece to the court and inform all the press all over world. Does anyone has any e-mail from the H-D center in Milwakee?

Thank you

#7 ·
Here is HD Customer Service phone # 1-414-343-4056 they dont have a email address you need to call them ASAP and stat your case!

#10 ·
This is what I am going to do. I haven't done yet because the H-D stores in Athens was telling that the was going to pay me for mess. But the weren't. So, On Monday morning I will report the incident to the local police...

Thank you all, for the support

#13 ·
While in Hawaii, I filed a report to the "Better Business Bureau" and the company returned my money instantly. I'm almost certain, the company was also fined for importing illegal vehicles,etc.. If you've a "BBB" in Greece, file right away.

#17 ·
What a mess! I know the economy is ruined there. Insist on the bike being returned. Call the police, today! No reason to wait - get the ball moving. Further, contact the lien holder for the note on the bike - and get them and their lawyers involved. Lastly, write to the CEO of Harley-Davidson. Even with shipping, you can move the thing for more than 10K! Good luck! Joe

#29 ·
Like Vambo says, most states require the owner to insure the bike against lose, theft etc most lien holders reguire to. In MD we can drop that portion of insurance if the bike is paid off. it is done mostly to protect the lien holders. My bikes are all paid for in full but I would never drop the comprehensive portion off my policy, to many thieves and to much money invested in mods. Plus that portion is pretty cheap compared to the liability portion.
I agree with Joe , file a missing/stolen report without delay. At least it should put lock on the vin so no one else can sell it.

#30 ·
I don't know what you expect the MoCo to do but make an inquiry to the owner of the franchise on your behalf. In the end, I'm sure they're going to say it's between you and the dealer and not them. Unless it's a company-owned store, they're probably not liable.

#31 ·
Thank you guys for your responses. I will file suit as soon as possible. I just needed the weekend to write all the story (from the first day I left my bike inside the Official H-D store until today) and who I am going to blame for the incident

#39 ·
Holy crap man.... I don't know how it is for you but people around here are EASY to find. I would track down that manager and ask him the 45 caliber question.

WHERE THE FOCK IS MY BIKE!!! :guns

#43 ·
that bike is gone if shipped from Greece to another neighboring country - shipped as in taken and ridden to another country. Since it is from a Harley Store, all they have to do is write a sales reciept for it and it is over the boarder.

With Erope being another dimension, MoCo in Wisconsin will say " oh gee, sorry to hear that,w e can try to help" and that will be about it. I could br wrong, but time will tell.

I would not doubt that the bike is already in Russia liscensed and on the road.

#47 ·
No doubt your post has cheered the OP up no end :)
Sounds very much to me like the Company that owned the franchise has gone bust. The Administrators will have removed all the assets from the store to somehere else whilst they try to recover maximum value from those assets for the creditors.
The OP needs to find out who those Administrators are and ensure that they understand that his bike is not part of the assets of the failed company.

#46 ·
Apparently this particular "arrangement" is from the "management" and not the company itself..
However it is a little bit strange that the company offered a 10.000 compensation instead of 20.000. Would you mind telling what model is your HD in order to have a clear idea about the actual market value of your scooter? If your bike is actually a 2008 night rod special, then acc to the official dealer price list the value is a little less than 22.000€ brand new...
It is therefore HIGHLY unlikely that any dealer would offer 20.000 - never the less 26.000 - for a 4 year old scooter, no matter the extras, since everybody knows that the extras are never paid for in the second hand market..
Unless the person making the deal did not intend to pay of course...Anyway, since they offered 20.000, the deal was fishy from the begginig
Now for the legal part, of course it is considered as theft (embezzlement to be precise) by all means. You left your bike for exhibition purposes, and it had been removed from your hands against your consent and will. As long as the person whith whom you had been dealing with had been an employee of the firm at the time of the negotiation, then the firm is held responsible as well..
Check out your insurance contract...If it covers this particular case, then go for it and file a lawsuit to be covered. If your contract does not cover this case, then maybe you have to reconsider your options, since the second hand bike market has collapsed in Greece nowdays....anyway, since this is a tricky case, professional legal opinion is strongly advised..

#49 ·
My insurance doesn't cover anything about stealing incidents.
I contacted with HD and got an answear telling me that they are going to find another H-D dealers by the end of 2012. Nothing more.

My model is 2008 VRSCDXA full customed. In Europe you can buy a used Harley in a higher price than buying it new if it is fully customed.
I spent about 35.000E (I only paid 4500E to buy my PM wheels+shipping) for my bike and that's why was going to be sold at 20.000E. So the H-D Greek dealers told me that they would give 10.000E and the rest of 10.000E i could take them from their manager!!!

So I rejected the offer and sent the case to the attorney. My next move is to inform ALL THE PRESS all over the world.

The bike is still registered with my name, so they only thing the stealer can do is to export my bike and change the numbers with fake documents

#51 ·
Finally I got paid for my bike by the x-Harley Davidson co in Greece!!!
THe bike is still missing as the Manager of the x-Harley Davidson Store where was my bike.If the bike ever been found, I am obliged to pass to the the x, H-D store. So, I got paid as I sold the bike and I'am done.

I want to thank all of you for the support and of course the 1130cc.com forum is it was my constant tool for any mod I had done to my bike.If things were better in Greece propaply I would neve sold my favourite DX

Many Greetings from an ex-V-rod rider!
Take care
Constantine

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.