Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

night rod special vs sportster 1200 vs yamaha r6

39K views 45 replies 24 participants last post by  Cowpieapex 
#1 ·
I Have a 2007 night rod special and have 2 buddies one with a 2007sportster 1200 and one with a 2005 Yamaha r6. My question is which one is faster in the quarter mile? and 0-60?

I am thinking my night rod special is is significantly faster than the sportster BUT the sportster apparently has beat my friend with the r6 off the line. I am thinking that maybe my friend with the r6 does not know how to ride. How about some input.

#4 ·
i was always equal with the 600's i raced and wooped the sportsers. stock that is

#5 ·
I would say, based only on having ridden them, not tried drag racing them, in the hands of a good rider, R6, then V-Rod, and Sportster trailing.

In the hands of a complete idiot, reverse that order.

The R6 has the best power to weight ratio, but it is very peaky, has a tall first, and is quite capable of looping. So to get away fast you need to be brave and competent.

The V-Rod is not keen to do anything bad, but you do actually have to rev it.

The Sportster has woefully little power, but any idiot can find what it has simply by opening the throttle and releasing the clutch.

#14 ·
yea thats what i was thinking. i think my buddy with the r6 just does not know how to ride.
I find that true with most owners of higher hp sports bikes, the combination of "balls" and "skill" are very rare on the street, regardless of all the lip service. Now most will not admit it - even to themselves. They got themselves a go fast bike (on paper) and therefore they am, they is, they gotta be!

#7 ·
almost all stock sportsters are slow in at 13-14 sec. 1/4 mile

#9 ·
these were the original quoted times when the VRod first was released

Performance Times

*** 0-60 mph 3.52 sec.

*** 0-100 mph 8.22 sec.

*** ¼ mile 11.38 @ 119.7 mph

*** top speed 142 mph

#11 ·
0-60 is meaningless on a bike though - they are so quick that really you've hardly left the line. You could have some kind of teletransporter that takes you to sixty in the blink of an eye, and lose over any useful distance to a more powerful bike. 0-100 is more like it.

#15 ·
0-60 is meaningless on a bike though - they are so quick that really you've hardly left the line. You could have some kind of teletransporter that takes you to sixty in the blink of an eye, and lose over any useful distance to a more powerful bike. 0-100 is more like it.
Meaningless on a bike? Why just a bike? You think the guys running 6's are unconcerned with their start? Races are won and lost many times off the line and/or in the 1st 60 ft. Hell guys practice that. True you can overcome it but all the track guys I know really focus hard on their start! In fact many have "trees" in their garages.
Louis, have you ever done a 1/4 mile run, balls out? 0-100 is damn near the whole race!!!

#10 ·
Just remind your friends that you have a awesome unique machine that most dont have the nads to own and they have dime a dozen funny lookin machines!Find a track and let it rip,obviously the R6 is lighter and built as a racer.

#13 ·
The vrods are fast in thier own rights... but pretty much any decent sport bike with a good rider will beat it, quarter mile or otherwise. Vrods are too heavy & the newer wide tires make it worse in the turns. They are good looking bikes with speed, anyone who tries to make one a racer against foreign bikes is pretty much just wasting thier money. 200 less lbs and another gear and we just cant compete.

#19 ·
real world times by your ave rider.....would prob be a 12 sec-114mph ish i think the fastest "stock " time at mwt 3 was 11.70 something. it could be easy for the vrod guy he doesnt have to wory about looping out like the 2 do. the worry on a v is not losing it sideways.

#25 ·
With a good rider the R6 will take the Vrod. Now with that stated, not too many can launch a rocket successfully.

#26 ·
well my 09 DX will hang with a FZ1 up to about 70 mph or so, and then it'll start inching away and at 90ish the Fizzer is rapidly disappearing. I do know how to ride (both corners and drag racing) so i consider myself a fairly decent rider. That being said, the Vrod is not a "fast" motorcycle in terms of the japanese/european sportbike market, and you're just kidding yourself if you think otherwise. my previous supersport literbikes would easily stomp a hole in a vrod, probably even a turbo vrod. weight is a killer, for one, and the ergonomics are terrible with the forward foot controls for drag racing. i just like riding my Rod and it gets way more looks then any of my old sportbikes ever got.

#29 ·
If the Sportster was the XR1200 it would be a tie on any given day.

I have a 09 XR and a 12 NRS. When one of my son's visit they think it is demo day. When we take the two out they stay right together through the gears at wot. However, the Vrod has a much higher top speed over the XR which hits the rev limit at 125.

The R6 would be in the mix with ease and out run the XR for the same reason.

#35 ·
While we're d*ck waiving, I had fun running with my brother this past summer.

Side by side roll on at 75mph and his '06 Triumph Rocket 2300 cc walked away from my li'l ol' R like I had slammed the throttle shut.

Once again, kick down 2 gears, there we go, the world is in order again with all inferior bikes in the mirror where they belong.

Attachments

#38 ·
While we're d*ck waiving, I had fun running with my brother this past summer.

Side by side roll on at 75mph and his '06 Triumph Rocket 2300 cc walked away from my li'l ol' R like I had slammed the throttle shut.
That would be the Rocket with "TWICE" the displacement of your R?

Wave that.

Besides, all that roll crap and semi-racing BS can be as accurate as the media. Line up and do it right.

#36 ·
dun4791 - They sold many over their 5 year run. Most are used on flat tracks. They have their own forum.

The XR motor is the Buell XB 103 HP at the crank motor from HD parts bins. Out of the box they had about 50% more HP than the XL1200.

The cam comes alive ant 5500 rpm through 7000. It does 125 mph and that is when the Vrod can run way from it.

It was a purpose built flat track racing bike. Most Sportster riders didn't have a clue about the XR other than it looked somewhat like a sports bike. That is just like most HD riders do 't know much about the Vrod.

#41 ·
The Buell Thunderstorm 1203cc is identical as the XR motor. HD produced them for Buell. When they first produced the XR in 08 it was only for the European market. Then in 09 through 2012 XR1200X they were in the US market also. There was a specific AMA flat track racing program for them.

They had a different ECM, much different cams, different heads, oil cooled exhaust valve (precursor of the wet head TC's), two oil pumps one to feed oil from the oil cooler direct to the heads the other for the engine, larger wrist pin, with the attendant different piston rod and piston. The lower cases are not the same as the Buell which was a stressed member of the frame. The XR did share XL frame which then made it 100 lbs more than the Buell.

The other difference between the Buell XB and the XR is the XR did not have the volume of air box and huge air filter that the Buell had. Do a mod to get more air in and there is 13 more HP on tap. The stock Buell was 103 HP the stock XR was 90 HP both at the crank. The XL 1200 was 65 HP at the crank. There is no "about" to it those were certified advertised numbers. Do the air box mod on the XR and get it to the 103 rating then add the V&H tuner and exhaust and go even higher. The 125 mph is at redline in 5th on the XR which used the 883 drive sprocket and will pull it to redline. The XL redlines at 5,500 rpm . The Buell XB used the larger XL drive sprocket and cold pull 137 + mph.

When HD ended the XR at the end of the 2012 run with the XR1200X, HD felt that if anyone wanted an XR they already had one. Read the 2008 issue of Cycle Guide and it identifies the differences in the motor from the Buell and how to get it up. They also felt the XR was the best bike HD ever built and so do I. And I have all the families from the Street to a trike and CVO's to judge them by.

I have the 08 Buell XB12XT and the 09 XR. You could not get them from me unless you pried them out of my cold dead hands. Two amazing bikes. Vance and Hines made a track kit for the XR that included their exhaust and programmer along with a lighter solo seat and their own version of the inverted front fork. Pricey but if you raced them you needed it because everyone else did. My dealer keep one and did the mods on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.