Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

This is the fairing for a Street Rod

19K views 78 replies 31 participants last post by  motorsickle1130 
#1 ·
A few years back I contacted Hannigan to see if they made a bracket to mount one of their fairings to a Street Rod. They said they had done one in their shop in Arkansas in 2006 but didn't save any photos of it. Since then I have often tried to imagine one of their fairings on my Street Rod. Now I don't have to imagine.

Motovrod had this on his gallery. He hasn't posted since 2009 that I can tell. I don't know if this is his bike, his former bike, a friends bike or just a photo he came across. I don't even know if he is still alive!

But, isn't that just the ideal fairing for a Street Rod?

See less See more
#51 ·
give us a side shot

A few years back I contacted Hannigan to see if they made a bracket to mount one of their fairings to a Street Rod. They said they had done one in their shop in Arkansas in 2006 but didn't save any photos of it. Since then I have often tried to imagine one of their fairings on my Street Rod. Now I don't have to imagine.

Motovrod had this on his gallery. He hasn't posted since 2009 that I can tell. I don't know if this is his bike, his former bike, a friends bike or just a photo he came across. I don't even know if he is still alive!
Give us a side shot. I'm guessing the headlight had to be mounted forward at least 4 inches. I could be wrong.

#54 ·
Forum member "motovrod" , with this hannigan fairing ,has no contact friends listed in his profile.

#61 ·
I would also like to add that I find that Hannigan fairing very ugly and dated. I am sure it cuts the wind but so does a sheet of 1/4 inch plywood. You can get the brackets at the local handware shop to fit the VRSCR. And before anyone asks me for pictures, I haven't tried it and if anyone does and I see them I will run you off the road.

#62 ·
Strange attitude. Really strange.

Spend a few months riding a bike with a high quality sport touring fairing and you will change your mind. Coming from an unfaired bike to my first faired bike, an old BMW R-100RS, my annual mileage more than doubled. Why? Because the fairing made longer days in the saddle at much higher speeds easy to do, and made riding in really cold weather possible where before it was not. Appearance is not everything. At some point the bike has to function or it's not worth the insurance and registration payments.

#63 ·
OK Sorry for the run you off the road bit. To me appearance is not everything but it does matter a great deal. I only insure my bike in the summer months now and put it away when the temperature goes under freezing. In Canada that means there is only a 6 month riding season then it's time to put the snow tires on the truck. Good luck with your Hannigan dealer start up.

#64 ·
I ride all winter, right down into the high teens farenheit, below zero centigrade. High desert nights and early mornings can be quite cold. I make frequent trips south to the Antelope Valley (~85 miles)and Los Angeles (135 miles) in the morning so I layer up, plug in the electric vest and enjoy a bike ride. When I make my sojourn to Utah each spring for WSBK, freezing rain mixed with snow is not unusual in the Great Basin of Nevada and into Utah. Big desert thunderstoms too. I don't let that get in the way of a great bike ride.
Check out on Google Maps how empty it is on US 6 from Bishop California to Utah. Tonopah to Ely Nevada is 167 miles with no gas in between. I have to bring a gallon can to make it. That is the kind of riding I do. These are places ruled by V-Stroms and big BMW GSs. You never see a V-Rod, except mine.

#65 ·
That's great that you actually ride your machine farther than to Starbucks like so many of the beautiful people do now. I actually ride a fair bit too. Travelled across Canada from coast to coast and returning through the US in 10 days including a 3 night sleepover in PEI. Been to Laguna Seca a dozen times and Sturgis 3 times. The cross Canada trip was done on a Buell S2T that has a stock fairing and some of the other trips where on my handlebar mounted fairing VRSCR. Traced route 66 and Hwy 395 on the VRSCR too. The handlebar mounted fairing did the trick on keeping the wind force off my body and looked good doing it. To be honest with you, I just wouldn't think the expense of the Hannigan fairing would be worth the price of looking like the ugly duckling in the bunch when the $300 Harley handlebar mounted fairing would do the job quite well.

#66 ·
Ah, you went right by where I live, and on an R too! I live in Ridgecrest CA, just off US-395. Wish I knew you were in my area. Darn, a missed opportunity. There is some really fun riding in the mountains nearby.
I use a Supersport Windshield now, and it is pretty good, no buffet or anything, but it shakes and rattles a bit over rough roads. It is worth every penny I paid for it and can be swapped in a few minutes for a VRSCX "Drag Screen" (see my latest photos in the thread Show us your custom Street Rod") when I want the bike to be sporty.
I take the R to Laguna Seca every year. If you are going this year let me know. We always have rooms available in Marina.

#67 ·
I travelled the 395 all the way from Anahiem to Canada. I recommend it to anyone. It is a great highway with many alititude changes going from desert to high mountains and winding through state parks and sleepy little towns. You can't beat the USA for lasy cruising roads and friendly people in the small towns.
I missed Laguna Seca this last year due to family and job related issues but will try to get there this next year. My buddies make me stay at the Casa de Verde. It's terrible!
Nice talking with you.

#69 ·
Standard seating postion?

#70 ·
I always wonder why owners lower the R of all models of the V-Rod. It is the one V-Rod built to be a corner carver, and does a good job of it too. It's the Rs finest quality, along with the best ride quality of the V-Rod line. Lowering it ruins the best quality the bike has and degrades the ride in the process. There are a half dozen other V-Rod models that are already low, and lowering them more isn't giving up anything. But with the R, once you lower it, what do you have left? To each his or her own, but I still have to scratch my head and wonder. I'd buy a D or a DX, or even an X if one could be found.

Unlike lowering, adding Sport Saddlebags and Supersport Windshield do not harm the Rs ride or handling one bit, and they expand your ability to ride the bike greater distances, more days on the road and in sketchier weather than one can with a bare R. You can enjoy the bike's excellent handling and good ride combination on challenging roads that are too far from home to enjoy on a day ride.

#71 ·
I always wonder why owners lower the R of all models of the V-Rod. It is the one V-Rod built to be a corner carver, and does a good job of it too. It's the Rs finest quality, along with the best ride quality of the V-Rod line. Lowering it ruins the best quality the bike has and degrades the ride in the process. There are a half dozen other V-Rod models that are already low, and lowering them more isn't giving up anything. But with the R, once you lower it, what do you have left? To each his or her own, but I still have to scratch my head and wonder. I'd buy a D or a DX, or even an X if one could be found.
Point of order: an AW or whatever is fine for normal use, unless you lower it, at which point it becomes junk.

Sent from my e1808_v75_jbaol1_5647 using Motorcycle.com App

#76 ·
I lowered my Buell 1125cr (my XB9s is the "L" lowered from factory version as well), so according to Phil, it's not a sportbike any longer?

Also, I don't like any fairings I've seen for the R so far, but am totally considering this wind screen if I can find out what the hell it is...clues?

#77 ·
#79 ·
I bought a D for the mid controls and I'm glad I did, it's way more comfortable on long trips. I put a big ass windscreen to go to Sturgis and it saved my neck from seizing up (never go to Sturgis again though, what a dousche fest!). Then I lowered it an inch all around which absolutely screwed the handling. It also made me slow down and take my time.
Yeah if I buy another rod at some point I'd probably raise it back up, but I'm not made of cash and have so many other projects I doubt I ever will. I still love the bike though and will continue to slap the hideous screen on for long hauls. Why? Because my bike is a reflection of me; it can't make up it's mind if form follows function or if looks is where it's at.
Either way, I'm happy, and that's the only opinion that matters to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.