Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

R model extended swing arm

10K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  swampboogiedoug 
#1 ·
This is a continuation of the suspension thread from racing. Here is a shot of the mock up of my R model. I'm putting 2 1/2 inches in the swing arm. We are fabricating it out of 4130 and should have it installed for Bowling Green. The length will allow me to use a standard Polychain 160 tooth belt. It also allows me to get the cross brace out of the gas tank pocket which puts me 2 inches lower in the rear and brings the rear axle, swing arm pivot and trans output shaft into proper alignment. This was my big goal. The rear fender will be slid back by the same 2 1/2 inches and because of the mount plate angle raises it for the clearance necessary. I'm using the stock R shocks for now. I'll be back to more shock travel & smoother ride as well ( compared to the short Works Perf lowering units ). We'l see how it goes !

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks good so far!

#5 ·
we dropped my rear alot with a 07+ swingarm.. here is mine, the swingarm sits level with stock shocks and the box section has more clearance than the 06 swingarm. ive bottomed out shocks but not gotten close to the tank. this is with a 240 tire stock shocks

#6 ·
blackcat made/has a swingarm on the silver bullet clint rides. you should get hold of him and see what or if he'll get one or make one for you. his set up is super badass. i may see him this weekend in rockingham and will try to remember to git some info on specs.

#10 ·
The price was the same to modify vs fab a new one. I wanted a different look & the moly is WAY stronger and I get the adjustability features.

One of the reason to do it was to clear the swing arm pocket, which it does in spades. By simply adjusting the bottom shock mount I can go from stock R ride height to slammed drag racer. This is 2 1/2 inches longer, so I went with a 160 tooth Gates belt.

#12 ·
Swing arm

Swamp, that is really nice! Can’t wait to here how it changes the personality of your bike. I'm very interested in one for my CX!

#15 ·
Ride itself is unchanged, although I haven't put it thru any twisties. If it drags, I simply move the shock one notch forward & pick an inch back up. For drags, I'll go to the farthest one to slam it. About 10 minutes on the lift stand. With the extension, everything is moved forward by almost 3 inches, and with the 7075 pivot shaft it moves another 2 lbs forward as well. If it won't leave now, its 100% rider inability. Yes the shields are a huge improvement. They let some air thru, you can almost touch them with your hand while running. There is a post under mechanical with pictures, etc.

#18 ·
extended swing arm update

How's this working for ya? Starting to plan some winter changes and looking into setting up the CX for the Street tire/ no bars class at the home track. This would help me even the score against the metrics! 16 bikes last time and 1 HD/vrod!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.