Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Stock exhaust gasket

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Rabbi 
#1 ·
I have been using Cometic exhaust gaskets on my stock header pipes but I have a heck of a time getting a good seal.

So I tried the HD stock exhaust gaskets...the pipe flange with the stock gaskets drew within 1/32 of the port face at 80 inch-lbs torque....Is this normal?

#3 ·
Be sure to follow the Service Manual tightening sequence. If you tighten the exhaust system joints out of sequence the header may not conform to the cylinder head port. If this happens the exhaust port gasket won't crush properly and you'll probably have a leak there.

#4 ·
Pecee, Stever957
Thanks for the reply, help, and your time.
Using the Cometic exhaust gaskets I always had a good 1/8" gap or more and when I went to the stock gasket it really bothered me to have it draw down so far, the one thing I don't want is to have the gasket protruding into the exhaust port and I was very careful to torque the flange down evenly to hopefully prevent any blockage.

Again thanks and Good on ya both!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.