Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Please help, custom turbo oil leakage issues

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Lane 
#1 ·
Hi guys been awhile since updates. And a long long road to get this bike going. My final hurdle:

I have a brand new garrett gt2554r and its blowing oil through the seals! I've seen a few prior posts but nothing really helps as yet. I've taken the drain hose off primary and ran it directly to a bucket and it drains at a constant flow (think of a tap that has been slightly turned; enough for continuous flow. I'm running a modified trask plenum which has the catch can built in. Rather then plumbing the vent hose back to the air filter I've slipped on a breather filter. While running I've opened the dip stick and primary seems quite pressurised! I also did a scenario test where I put my finger with slight pressure over the turbo drain while running. This pumped substantial oil past seals. I will also mention turbo oil inlet has a 1mm restrictor in the turbo fitting.
Could it be that the the engine is not breathing enough hence also pressurising the oil in the turbo? I am currently running a base map until I fix this and then straight for final tune. Any help would be appreciated . Can't tell you how frustrating it is to be this close....

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Is it a turbine or compressor which is leaking, or both?
The Turbine I guess, Basically a turbo should always be installed horisontally.

Go to 0,7mm resistor. There is M5 thread in the turbo oil inlet. You can utilize a small carburator jet.

#3 ·
Im running same turbo on my bike and as Karzza says you need to reduce amount of oil going into turbo.

Mine has a nitrous injector feeding mine straight into top as my turbo sits level and is positioned so inlet is vertical

#4 ·
Hey Pono,

that's a nice finish there, optical ok so to say :D
I concede with Karzza, you should straighten the turbo alignment.
And as already recommended long time ago, you should increase the diameter of the venting box and it's connections.
The oil supply to the turbo, what diameter has the orifice? You didn't connect that oil supply without orifice, did you?

#5 ·
Thanks a lot for the advice and sorry for such a delayed response. Well I decided to take it upon myself to recreate the manifold and reposition the turbo horizontally. I also tapped a large 18mm internal diameter fitting into the primary case for the new turbo oil drain. Old one was 8mm so no were near right. I decided to run a breather hose from the old tap to relieve some more of the crank pressure as pictured. Problem fixed, no sign of oil in the dumppipe or smoke. buke sounds pretty tame with the silencer on it but you soon hear the blow off valve to remind you what your riding. Bike was dynoed yesterday and made 170hp & 114ft torque @10psi... Was a smooth power curve and the ride home from the dyno place was that good! Taking it on its first big ride this morning so fingers crossed all is finally good.

Attachments

#6 ·
Good You got the problem solved.

#12 ·
Oz it's owes me about $5500 complete with computer tune etc.. Would have been cheaper too if they first guy who built some of it didn't dick me around. I ended up making a new manifold myself, new exhaust, various brackets and put a ball bearing turbo on. ( the arsehole put a gtr journal ledger turbo on for me which blew up in 150klm on a base tune) I didn't know any better at the time and trusted the bloke.. Guess if you want something done right you do it yourself. Haha still I guess $5500 is still a few grand cheaper than a trask though.

Done 200k ride yesterday and loved every second. Pulls like a train for as long as you want to hold it. Here's a few more pics. Put a turbo blanket on today as well a s installed a 52mm digital boost gauge where the horn used to be.

Attachments

#13 ·
Nice work! How is the heat on you? I had to use dymat on my airbox cover, as you could fry an egg on it! Keep riding, and post updates as you go! Thanks, Joe

#15 ·
Pono
With that much plumbing, do you have much lag or does it let turbo spool rather quickly?

BTW nice set up.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Motorcycle.com App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.