Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Iridium plugs VS standard plugs

8K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  lbrown 
#1 ·
I been seeing more and more lately the rage has been Iridium plugs, i'm sure they have been popular for a while now but i'm just noticeing them. I remember "back in the day" the standard pratice if you were using a Supercharger/Turbo or N2O the standard plug pratice was just go down in heat range and close up the gap by .005 , Tighter gap, hotter spark. We all know every company has to have there sales tatics how one is better then the other. I would like to hear from real world users on what they found was different, Gimick or really works. I see the small tip breaking off under high load and causing a big mess. Thank you in advance:moped:

#2 ·
I put them in my 2012 NRS with 500 miles on the clock, along with K&N filter, PCV IV and V&H Black Widow slip ons. With about 4500 miles now, bike runs great! Starts instantly, and seems to really like the Iridium plugs. No issues, not sure if they give a huge performance gain, but should last much longer than the stock plugs. Sparks like a small, sharp surface to jump! That's where these plugs excell.

#3 ·
IMO.. Don't use the Iridium Plugs. Anti Knock sensor ( from what I've read )does not work correctly.. I've gone One step colder and the gap is a tight stock measurement.. Performs/Runs Great :)

#4 ·
I have been running NGK Iridium plugs for a few years now. No problems. I have heard a few reports of newer models having the "knock sensor" problems. I'll be pulling them before Spring, and post up how they look.

#5 ·
I installed a set of them in my wife's suv this summer They sure surpised me when i seen how the tip went down to a point but iam use to the regular plugs and also not use to the 8.50 price for a plug .They work good but but i can not tell diffrence because the one's i took out was the same except a lot of mile's on them. I looked up Iridium just to see what made it diffrent and seen it was a real
dense metal and it would stand up to 2000 degrees so i gess that is what i paid for.I did not know they made them for our bikes if so are they pre set for the gap like the ones for a car?

#6 ·
I did not know they made them for our bikes if so are they pre set for the gap like the ones for a car?

Good question, I would be afraid to Gap them any different since the tip is so small. Chipping the tip off. As for affecting the knock sensor I wonder why it would do that

#7 ·
No, they are not pre gapped. Gap like any other plug, just be carefull not to pry on the tip, just bend electrode. I use a cheap spark plug gap tool from the auto part store, just be carefull! I use Iridium plugs in every thing I own, cars, snowmobile, atv, they work! and last a long time. That's there #1 benefit I think, the Iridium just lasts longer, hence better performance due to lack of wear. As for knock sensor issues, I haven't had a problem with mine, gapped the Iridium plugs to Harley factory spec. I think the knock sensor is more for the air cooled bikes than our water cooled engines that control heat and knock so much better. I think the "don't use Iridium plugs" thing is a non issue on the V rod. I also think Harley uses non Iridium plugs cause they are $ cheaper than Iridium. My 2005 Chevy Avalanche came with them as did my 2008 Corvette. If they are good enough for my 426 HP Corvette, they are good enough for my V Rod!

#9 ·
I will agree to dis agree.

I run them in my turbo bike gapped at .020.

Never had a problem with them.

Bike runs like crazy.

It boils down to a personal prefference.

#10 ·
I know plugs wont give me HP but it's gonna be the reliability and "performance" under a higher load (N2O) I change my standard plugs every time I change my Oil. (5,000mi) so I don't know if changing them that often it will really matter what I use?

#13 ·
i have seen some severe power loss with the iridium plugs on some v-rods and big twins but others will run just fine with them....of all the plugs i have tested on our v-rod the only plugs that made a measurable difference was the destroyer surface gap plugs and they lost about 2hp from the baseline... on our bike the ion sense didn`t pull timing and lose hp with iridium plugs but they didn`t show any more hp than standard ngk`s ...they may last longer but i don`t know about that...on bikes that loose power power with iridium plugs disabling the ion sense(knock sensor) will bring the power back...bottom line if your bike runs good with them ,,run them...if you notice a power loss change them or disable the knock sensor

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.