Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Water pipe thickness

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  swampboogiedoug 
#1 ·
I think I remember seeing that the turbo install required cutting one of the coolant pipes. Can any of you turbo guys tell me how thick the pipe is? I have a pretty deep wear spot in mine from the p-clamp and I'm trying to decide if I should replace the pipe or not. It looks like a big PIA to replace and will cost about $100.

Sent from my DROID3 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#3 ·
It's not leaking. I'm just wondering how much material is left in that area. I'm tempted to let it be. As long as I don't put that p-clamp back on there shouldn't be any contact in that spot. I plan to secure it to the frame or battery tray a little closer to the radiator.

Attachments

#9 ·
Thanks!
If the stock pipe is .065" thick, that means I only have .008" left between a me and a sloppy mess of hot anti-freeze. That wear mark is .057" deep :eek:

It looks like I should order a new pipe and replace the rubber hoses too.
I saw a part number for a gates shrink clamp from Oreiley's around here somewhere. Has anybody found an automotive hose that will substitute for the HD part between the radiator and the aluminum pipe? It looks like it's just a 90° elbow on that end.
The other end by the water pump has a very slight bend, but looks like a straight piece would work. HD wants $20 for each of those hoses :broke:

#8 ·
When i had mine altered for the turbo install i was told by fabricator it was pretty thin and the antifreeze eats it away also to some degree.

He actually welded it up and went around it about 3 times to make sure it was fully welded.

I nearly pulled the pin and replaced but so far not a drop has leaked so ill leave it till there is an issue

#10 ·
I saved enough cash on my valve lash job that I shouldn't be pinching pennies for a couple $20 parts. I just ordered the pipe, both hoses and the clamp for $132 from newcastle hd. You play, you pay :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.