Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Procharger

9K views 49 replies 13 participants last post by  goneracin1234 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about ordering a procharger for my bike and was just wondering if anyone has put one on theirs and if they like it or not

#6 ·
. If HP can make a kit with a rotrex sc then whats stopping someone from using the PC headunit?

#8 ·
I guess I was thinking more along the lines of swapping the rotrex headunit unit for the PC...

#9 ·
I thought the same thing, however back when I wanted to do this you had to buy a complete kit. Nobody would sell you just the brackets.

Procharger makes a very nice V-twin kit its too bad because I'm sure if they ever did one for the v-rods it would be impressive.

#10 ·
Wonder if HP is dead set on the rotrex...the PC headunit seems like it would be a cleaner install if nothing else. Self contained/no airfilter better outlet positioning.

#11 ·
They are very nice kits. I am a dealer for them and have installed the blower on my 07 FLHTC but I spun the left flywheel on the crank so I'm in the middle of rebuilding my motor... Pro-charger isn't making kits for V-Rods at this time but they are in the works... I can tell you that when they do, they will be an excellant kit... When they do come out with a kit I will most certainly make good deals to forum members...

Attachments

#12 ·
Man I wonder what the numbers will be.... I'd guess close to what the turbos make.

#13 ·
Yeah they are pretty close, maybe just a bit more with the blower because it is a direct drive off the crank but boost is boost whether it's a sucker or a blower :)... The blower powerband is steady from idle to redline whereas the turbo will curve off at the top...

#16 ·
Check his posts, he knows a thing or two about boost....lol

#17 ·
Well I wouldn't classify me as a novice to boost either... :D I agree that turbo's get a little better mpg but hp/tq is as much even more with a blower vs a turbo, the power and torque band on the dyno is a consistant curve through out the rpm range vs the turbo... Lets just say we agree to disagree :)... I've run both and the new pro-charger doesn't rob as much hp/tq and mpg as one would think... The biggest difference is the experience of the tuner and the dyno... A lot of things come into play to squeeze out the hp/tq and what's the actual mpg loss with a super charger vs a turbo? Maybe 2 to 3 mpg? The pro-charger on a stock TC 88 motor with SE 211 cams produced some serious hp/tq gains and still got 40 mpg.... Again, it all comes down to the motor build, cams, cam timing and last but not least a tuner that knows what he's doing...

#18 ·
Not doubting you at all. I agree the sc is a more linear delivery. I have owned cars with roots blowers and turbos, never a centri blower. I liked the roots for everyday driving but the turbo was so badass when it needed to be. The spool, the hit at full boost, it's like crack, lol

#20 ·
Both cars at a dragstrip leave and the (nos or blower) car get the jump. If the turbo car catches them they will NOT pull back around. The back half after the 330ft mark is where the turbo's shine. Five years ago our best time was .015r/t 1.10 60' 2.98 330'
4.48 660' at 165mph this was done on a small block ford and a single 106mm

#21 ·
How many turbo's vs blowers have you installed on a motorcycle? How many motorcycles do you have that run both a turbo and a blower to see the differences? What dyno are you using and tuner to get the most out of both? Cars vs motorcycles, two distinct different animals... Sounds like you're very knowledgable with turbo's on cars (I read some of your other posts) but if turbo's were the key to hp/tq then the top fuelers would be using them... If you want peak hp/tq with a consistant power curve, the blower is the only way to go... Turbo's are less taxing on the motor (no belts or gears) and only come into play when you get into the boost, (turbin spool up) longer life and reliablity with today's turbo kits for motorcycles... Excellant choice for everyday cruising and getting an extra punch when needed... The pro-charger blower has proven to be reliable, produces the same if not more hp/tq as a turbo, consistant linier power band thru-out the rpm band, and reasonable mpg with a good tune... If I was worried about gas milage, I would stay completely stock... I speak from experience having two bikes, one with a Trask Turbo and one with a Pro-charger Blower... In all things when adding power adders to a motor, heads, ccp, intake, cams, cam timing, crankshafts, rods, pistons, valve springs etc., all have to compliment one another and then dyno tuned by an experienced tuner... Both systems have there pro's and con's, both are excellant power adders, both are the best bang for the buck for dollars vs hp/tq gains on a stock motor... I just dissagree with your statement that blowers don't make the same hp/tq and less gas milage when I know different from personal experience... No big deal, to each there own... Put ten wrenches in a room and ask one question and you'll get ten different opinions on what's the best :)... Bottom line, life is too short to argue about who's right or wrong, the important part is getting the V-Rod to perform to it's maxium ability and get your knees in the wind...

#22 ·
bones, top fuelers have pos displacemnt roots blowers for instant power. Its for E.T. And your still not comparing apples to apples. One of you bikes is a vrod one is not. Stock for stock it looks like the turbo on a vrod makes more power. Built motor vs built will be interesting. I think no matter what the limit of the motor will be reached before the limits of the blower/turbo. Its like you said, how do you want it delivered. pick your poison ;)

#23 ·
LOL well how do you get better E.T.? Torque is what does it... Anyways, doesn't matter... You and the others believe one way while I believe another :)... It's all good... Bottom line, I have both and enjoy them both :)... I'm not sure when Pro-charger will produce a kit for the V-Rod which is what this thread was originally about but when and if they do produce a blower kit, you can bet I'll be purchasing one to do just as you say, compare apples to apples :)... It's what I do :)...

#24 ·
what does a pc kit go for anyway? As much as I usually dont care about looks when it comes to things like this....the rotrex kit looks like crap. I like the lines of the PC kit. Wonder what they would do for a airbox.

#25 ·
It will be right at $5000.00 for the kit which is what the kit costs for the Airheads, maybe a lil less, not sure but I'm a dealer and can get it to you for less :)... Like I said, I don't know when and if they will bring out a kit for the V-Rod, last time I talked to them it was in the discussion stage but "if" they do, you can bet it will be a clean kit and I will be runn'en one :)... Dang, now I gotta buy two V-Rods, one for the blower and one for the turbo :)... Anyone have some cheap 05's they want to sell?

#26 ·
The statement about using more fuel is just that. I wouldn't care about MPG but just as a whole it takes more (bigger injectors, bigger fuel lines, and more fuel pump for the same rwhp) this might not even apply to the V-rod at their power level. On the street I would take a Procharger over a turbo also. As far as Fuel funny cars you will NEVER see a turbo EVER. NHRA will never allow it. Turbo cars are hard to make run back to back passes the same. Hero vrs zero its one or the other. Waiting on a Vortech for my st car now.

#28 ·
:grouphug I agree... With the V-Rod if you stayed stock on everything in the motor, you don't need to change out the injectors, fuel pump, fuel lines etc... Most applications for a stock motor is 8 lbs of boost whether it be a turbo or blower... You can go 10 lbs but your taking a risk :)... Given the same motor, the blower will make just as much hp/tq as a turbo will produce but the power curve is linier from idle to redline which is predictable as you know... MPG is sort of moot because anytime you add performance into the equation, MPG goes out the door... Turbo's will get better gas mileage if properly tuned but only by 2 to 3 mpg, reason being there is no working load on the motor with a turbo like there is a blower... I wasn't trying to be rude but your statement was not accurate about blowers on motorcycles... You sound like a very intelligent man and know turbo's :)... I think you would agree other than the fact that cars and motorcycles run 4 stroke internal combusion engines, they are really two different animals... You can run 20, 30 even more lbs of boost with 4 cylinders and up, if you tried that with a two cylinder motorcycle motor you would be picking pieces up off the ground as soon as you fired it up :) or, it would cost you some serious money to have one off cases, cranks, rods, pistons etc. to handle more than 10 lbs of boost... Again, I think you and I are on the same page and can agree at least to one thing, keeping your knees in the breeze and live life, enjoying every minute... :)

#30 ·
I also have both, Trask on the Vrod and PC on my FLHX. Both bikes are stock except for street port and polish and valve job on the V. I had my FLHX tuned by one of (if not the) the highest recommended tuners from Procharger. It started at 68 HP and made 122 HP after the PC install and tune. I can say a few things. The PC is much easier install than the Trask, however neither are too hard. They both start building boost around 3500 HP. Yes, even the PC has lag, but it continues building boost until it hits the rev limiter. Both systems are great power adders. The reason I went with PC on the FLHX instead of another Trask is simply because superchargers are much easier to get tuned than turbos. I know this because I am having a hell of a time trying to get my Trask tuned. My .02

#31 ·
Interesting comparison, are you running the T-Max with your PC? I'm in the process of rebuilding my motor on my 07, spun the left flywheel and damaged my left side case... Got all that fixed, still waiting on tappets, pushrods and specialty tools to install the right side bearings... I've got a tuner lined up in Tacoma when I'm ready to trailer it up there to have it tuned... With the motor modifications that I've done I'll be looking at numbers somewhere in the neighborhood of 187/157 hp/tq if the tuner can get it tuned in with the T-Max... I may have to go with the SEST, not sure yet... Here's the mods I've done to the motor;

1. S&S Superstock 79cc heads (messed up here, should have got the 89cc heads)
2. JIMS 113 ci stroker kit (reverse dome pistons -3.5 cc's)
3. Flywheels welded to crank pin
4. JIMS Roller Rockers
5. JIMS Hydrosolid Tappets
6. JIMS Adjustable Pushrods
7. S&S Auto compression release kit
8. SE 211 Cams
9. Left side case Timkin bearing upgrade
10. SE Cam bearing upgrade
11. Lefty SE case bearing for right side case
12. T-Max Autotune ECU
13. PC set at 10 lbs of boost
14. AIM VP-Pro Charger Kit (may have to go to the CF2)

Other mods;

1. Arnott Air Shocks
2. Hogwired 120 watt amp w/speakers
3. Dakota Digitals (including boost gauge and cylinder head temp gauge)
4. Ultimate Seat
5. Bagger Brace

Future mods;

Depends on what breaks :)...

Yeah, I know overkill :)... I really wasn't looking to do this in the beginning but once the flywheels went south on me, I decided to upgrade :)...

The numbers you gave are typical for a stock TC motor, a good bang for the buck :)... I agree on the install, the PC took half the time to install then the turbo but both are very nice kits and the after sale service is excellant... Some tuners out there are having problems getting the T-Max to tune in, not sure why but they are...

#32 ·
I am running the Tmax on my Vrod with turbo, and after the problems I have had with it (not to mention the customer service.... or lack there of), I will never run another Tmax. I am running the PCV+autotune on the PC, at the suggestion of Walt at Procharger. I plan on doing the 211 cams this winter.

#33 ·
Thanks for the info... I'm going to go with the T-Max for now and see what the tuner can do with it... If he can't get it tuned in then I will probably go with the PCV... I know that both systems are used for the PC and I guess it comes down to the knowledge and experience of the tuner...

#34 ·
why waste you time with the max? do it once, do it right. my .02

#35 ·
And your 2 cents is worth? You speaking from experience or just what you've read? Enlighten me to the plethera of experience you have as a tuner on a dyno with either the T-Max or the PC V... How many motors have you built? Did you do all the work on your V-Rod? Are you running a turbo or a blower if so, how many have you installed and tuned...? Maybe if you can show me you speak from experience then I'll consider your two cents worth until then, I do what I know based on my experience and talking to the tuner that will be tuning the bike... He seems to differ with your two cents but who knows, even a broke clock reads the right time twice a day and you are right and I'll have to go to the PC V but, if your wrong then I will have wasted money on another tuner when the T-Max will work... Heck, why not just go buy the PC V, SEST, TTC and have all the bases covered, sounds logical to me, NOT... You can respond but I won't see it, your on ignore, I don't waste my time with people who talk out of ignorance, fire away...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.