Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

City bike's road test: Guzzi Griso vs V-Rod

6K views 58 replies 32 participants last post by  FatbyRR 
#1 ·
Most wont get any thing from this but any bay area readers of this rag will
puke if they read the road test by Patrick Moriarty. He claims the Guzzi Grizo
"Clearly out Rod's a V-Rod in the styling/ quality/ class department". I think he nuts.:barf: photo of said bike:
http://www.maxmoto.co.uk/images/Guzzi%20Griso.jpg

I believe the review is only in print, sorry.

#2 ·
It's not nearly as purdy as our beloved V's. :D

#3 ·
Nothing purty about it at all - but the sumbitch looks pretty fast. The set up looks like it would out-corner a VRod.

"Claimed output is 88.1 horsepower at 7600 rpm, with peak torque of 65.6 foot-pounds at 6400 revs."

Half a VRod would blow it off the track, though.

#6 ·
They corner and pop wheelies a treat, as he said a city bike.

I do have a soft spot for Guzzies use to sell them and owned some.

#10 ·
Moto makes some interesting motorcycles I must say, not my taste but those Euros suck them up!

#12 ·
I don't know. There are so many of these wacky looking bikes out there that look like that. I'm just not in to it. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I still don't understand it. The V-rod.......especially the anodized (of course I'm going to say that!).....just stand out soooo much from the crown with beautiful lines..... The attention I get with my bike is unreal. I don't think I would get it with many other bikes.

#15 ·
Not my cup of tea. The bottom end of the enine looks like they pulled it from a snowblower. The pipe is ugly and wtf is up with the swingarm? To each their own though.

#16 ·
That thing looks like :moon: IMHO.

#17 ·
I just skimmed the article, nothing about weight #'s, to be competitive to a 'rod, it would need the weight below 400 lbs with the 78 hp. My new lust, Hypermoto from Ducati. 90 hp 390 lbs without battery & fluids. My 'rod 105 hp 650 or so lbs,

#21 ·
True, but it might be also, and I'm just putting it out there, that u and ur friend are nor that great at riding the vrod..
I got smoked by the warrior I think , pretty sad, but he also was taking turns at just a dash over a 100, some of them blind. Scary stuff. But after canyon roads got straighter and I got myself together and smoked his ass like there's no tmrw. Vrod is one of the most challenging bikes to ride our there. It fking fight back! Plus I'm not that great myself

#22 ·
Could be very true. I am no expert. That said the kicker was that we switched bikes, whom ever had the street rod, just could not keep up. I am the Griso is 150 lbs lighter at around 120HP with his mods.

The street rod was a great bike for 10years ago, maybe 5 years ago. But HD needs to put that engine on a lighter frame. Shave of 80-100lbs, make ABS standard, and it will be able to compete in today's world. All that said- I am still a fan of all the VRODS, the looks are just timeless

pic of mine is attached.

Attachments

#25 ·
It hurts my eyes

Sent from my ADR6400L using Motorcycle.com Free App

#30 ·
Big bore Guzzi twins are absolutely indestructible. So are their drive lines. They are more durable than almost any bike out there, including BMWs.

I think City Bike has out of date information. Horsepower is now 110 with about 80 ft-lbs of torque. The 2013 has four valve heads and was poked out to 1151 cc. Wet weight is under 550 lbs. You do the math and decide who is going to humble who. On any kind of curvy road, the only V-Rod model that will run with it is an R. For any other model V-Rod it will be utter humiliation.

Guzzis twins have a lazy, long legged feel to them. They are fast but they don't always feel that fast. They are great for covering lots of miles on curvy roads. That is where they excel. They reward a smooth flowing riding style and the rider who isn't afraid to use the ample cornering clearance they offer. Too high for stability someone wrote earlier? Nonsense. Guzzis are on rails at speed, especially when cranked way over in a long triple digit sweeper. It's a very charismatic engine with a wonderful sound. You think Harleys sound good? Ride a Guzzi fast and see which one makes better music.

As for appearance? Well, it is even uglier looking when it passes your V-Rod in the canyons and leaves it like a bad habit.....unless you ride an R and really know your tool.

#31 ·
Um:

The OP is from 2007, hence the low HP. I hadn't noticed the change, hence my renewed interest in what I think is a gorgeous looking bike.

Guzzis are notorious for giving trouble, worse than BMW. The fact that most of the parts last ten zillion miles is just poor production engineering. A perfectly designed device has all wearing parts failing at the same distance. I suggest you look on the web for stories of 8v Guzzis trashing their valve gear. This is now sorted, supposedly, and has been since 2009.

However, I knew a load of V50s in my youth. They went WRONG all the time! I don't care if the crank bearing are good for 2,000,000 miles, that's no use when the ignition switch just fell apart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.