Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Modify VRSCA exhaust baffles?

17K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  rlascano 
#1 ·
OK, I've read a few posts saying the stock V-Mods are too loud. Has anyone considered removing then altering the stock baffles and reinstalling? How about installing different baffles altogether?
I'm looking to get the same sound as the 16G pipes, but want to retain the stock look. I'm also running endcaps. I've listened to the SE Slip-ons and honestly can't hear much of a difference from stock.

#4 ·
Use the "search" function and check out (drilled pipes) - on an A if you drill 8x1/2 inch holes the sound is almost like the 16ga just more mellow and better to live with over any distance , try it first with 3/8th" and then go bigger if that sound doesn't suit you - stock air cleaner will mean no other extras are required .

#7 ·
So you are saying that if you drill up to half inch size holes that no remap or tuner is needed? The bike comes from the factory running on the lean side. Won't this lean it out more and thereby increasing temps?

#6 ·
I searched ebay under motorcycle muffler baffles and came up with a hundreds of good ideas. BUT remember any change will mean that you will have to remap and or dyno your bike. I just changed from samson street sweepers with a small baffle to a CFR without baffles. 1st ride with new set up bike runs for shit. Now back to the dealer for remap. I first drilled out the OEMs and it sounded like a put put motorboat IMOP and others big time power loss. listen to you tube v rod mufflers. curley

#10 ·
G'day mate,

I have the stock mufflers with the VMOD Series II cut. I believe the original VMOD just drilled out the centre baffle and left the big hole and it was a tad loud. My series II cut is not that loud but has a nice deep note. I think that the VMOD series II cut actually removes the original baffle and replaces it with one that a little louder. I had it explained that the sound level is between the original VMOD cut and the Stock standard sound.

I reckon is sounds great. I have also had a huge improvement is low and mid range power (with power commander + map) compared to when I had the BuB Jug Huggers fitted. They sounded great but too loud for the neighbours and I lost some power as well.

Hope it all works out

cheers

Niko

#15 ·
I gave away a set of V-Mods and installed the "Big Hole" SE pipes.... Much quieter at idle, yet plenty of roar when its romped on. Just about the same fuel map for both.

If the SE slip-ons were the "little hole" ones... they are just about the same as stock

#18 ·
Removing the baffles (V-Mod Cut) will definately increase the sound level and make the bike have a "tougher" tone to it. Be warned though that the bike runs on the lean side from the factory, doing the V-Mod cut will make it even leaner, requiring a tuner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.