Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Sell ?? or pack away for future

3K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  markcus58 
#1 ·
I have a '05 VRSCSE in my garage that is getting very little use so I am starting to question if I should let her go to another rider or pack it up for possible future changes in life that may bring her into more use. She sits up now cuz like all of us I have only so much freedom away from domestic duties, and the time I do have is taken with my Corvettes and guitars - plain and simple too many toys....

So, sell or put it cold storage ??? :banghead:

#2 ·
With the low in the market it may be smarter to hang on to it. Make it long term storage ready with a full service and drain. I think at some point the domestic duties slow down time frees up and ridding becomes more forefront. With it being a SE bike its not a normal production machine like most others. I dont think now SE means more cash but in a few years it may. Look at the cheezy Dodge Omni with the Shelby stickers on it. Worth 10x more than any other Omni. That was junk and the SE isnt (unless you ask Lux who will say its a circus bike and only a clown is looking for one.) Seriously unless you have someone offering some "right" money for it now, I would hang onto it. Anything could change.

#5 ·
Thanks guys for the responses. I agree if I was to sell it next spring would be the time to list it (same goes for the boat). But my real issue is should I hold it till life takes a turn that frees up more time or send it onto someone that may use it some... Keeping it does not really cost any money so long is it requires only minor work to bring it back into form after sitting up (big question mark). Of importance also is the issue of maintaining the chrome. It is covered & in an insulated garage but chrome likes to tarnish and rust. I have seen some chrome sealant products so I will need to investigate them some...Then again I could sell in the spring and buy again if / when the future presents the need. Yea, this may be the best course.

#7 ·
I guess the question is do you expect your life to change and permit more riding? If so, and this is just a temporary hiatus from riding, I would hang on to it. Consider how hard an identical bike would be to find when you resume riding, assuming you love your V-Rod as much as I do.

#9 ·
It always comes down to money and/or convenience. Can you afford to keep it without hurting yourself or family?
Is storing it going to be an inconvenience?

Keep it. After many years of riding, many miles, there were a few times I was preoccupied, traveling, didn't care or didn't have time and eventually sold my scoot. Always after a few years you wish you had it, if even for just a short Sunday run around town. Been many years since I've been without, I've learned, and even if the bikes just sit, there will always be at least 1 in the garage. Always.

#10 ·
Chrome will pit

Yes sitting around the chrome will pit for sure, I had a 2003 fat boy in heated storage and sold it in 2011 7 miles on it and the chrome was starting to peel, so unless your going wipe it down once a month I would sell it, They are selling for around $10000-$12500 maybe more, Good Luck

#13 ·
Yes sitting around the chrome will pit for sure, I had a 2003 fat boy in heated storage and sold it in 2011 7 miles on it and the chrome was starting to peel, so unless your going wipe it down once a month I would sell it, They are selling for around $10000-$12500 maybe more, Good Luck
I have found the best protectant for chrome storage is wd-40. Saturate the entire bike in it 3 or 4 cans spray everything. Soak it well. Dont wipe any off let it sit for a day or two then cover it with a soft cloth blanket and then a bike cover. Come back 3 years later in a brick garage with no door and uncover wash it off and it looks like it was put away last night.

#14 ·
Slim chance I'll find another like this one, but there are lots of great Vrods / HD's out there and always will be (in my lifetime). This is becoming a real flopping fish story now. I gotta find out if the WD40 trick works cuz if that keeps it looking new and I fog the engine that pushes things in the "keep it" zone. I mean I bought a then classic car in '76 and am happy as shxx I still got it, and it has seen it's share of down years. Well, I guess I got time till the spring to ponder the what if's. Maybe I'll call the local HD shop and talk over the long term sitting up requirements.

#17 ·
The "WD" in the name WD-40 stands for Water Dispersant. It was developed by the US Navy during WWII as a compound that could be applied to aircraft in the hot, humid, salty Pacific Ocean, particulary the electronics, that would displace water and thus preserve components. Put enough of it on a bike and it will positively prevent corrosion.

#15 ·
I've been looking for a '05 SE for my neighbor.

ASKING prices are all over the board right now across dealers, individuals and geography. It's a tough season to be selling right now with the holidays approaching. You've got the benefit of being in the Republic of Texas as far as weather and riding season.

There aren't many of these bikes out there and there will only be fewer in the future.

I think the biggest selling issue is that you have a very finite market...that would appreciate the uniqueness of the bike and the value.

If you don't need the cash I'd at least hang onto the bike till next spring... Just my 2 cents.

p.s. As you know, Houston can kill any metal as I learned after one season with anything metal in my garage...just about everything that could rust or corrode did...

#16 ·
Sell it. It is a deprecating asset. Or, use it as transportation. Houston humidity is salted hell.

#18 ·
It only "depreciates" if you sell it. If you like it and it puts a smile on your face to ride, I don't see any loss of value to the owner. I don't even consider resale price or depreciation when I buy a vehicle. I buy cars and bikes intending to keep them for many many years. What matters to me is how much pleasure they will bring me in that time. I will probably never sell anything I currently own.

#21 ·
Sell the Vettes and guitars instead. :D

#27 ·
If it works for you then none of us should judge you.

#28 ·
I just dont understand not having time to ride. Unless your in the military and stationed overseas. You should be able to delegate your time. I also am very busy but no matter how busy i will make time to ride. Now in my situation my job allows me to ride to work everyday.Even if i could not ride to work i would make time to ride some other time. It appears your lack of time to ride are other hobbies you prefer over riding so that said sell bike in spring and fully enjoy your your other passions. No shame in that. My passion for riding would preempt any other hobbies. Sorry just my opinion

#29 ·
Pretty much your statement hit the nail on the head, and it is that realization that has brought me to this point - sell or hold. Inside I am a convertible hotrod car guy and those keys are in my hand much more often on the free & pleasant days of the year.
For now I will hope the spring is good economic wise and someone is itching for a flashy VRSCSE with extras & low miles. Someone will no doubt and it will make there day when I hand the keys over to them.
Thanks for all the responses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.