Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Front motor mount

10K views 59 replies 29 participants last post by  Philthy 
#1 ·
I think the change was made in the 05 model but this shows the difference between the late model mount and the early 02 mount and as you can see a broken mount. The old mount and top plate is on the right and the arrows point to the torn spots on the mount.

Attachments

See less See more
#27 ·
Dave, I'm afraid that is one of the original mounts and not the updated mount. It also looks as though it has a lot of sag as mine did but that doens't mean that it's broken by any means.

#28 ·
Max said:
Dave, I'm afraid that is one of the original mounts and not the updated mount. It also looks as though it has a lot of sag as mine did but that doens't mean that it's broken by any means.
Well make sure your around tomorrow cuz i will be replacing it and the fuel lines.:deal: Just kiddin. You mentioned a Scissor jack which makes me belive the sears one will not work in this case.

#29 ·
David I used the sears jack when I did mine. I just set the jack further back under the frame so that the front could drop just a little.

#32 ·
Max said:
I think the change was made in the 05 model but this shows the difference between the late model mount and the early 02 mount and as you can see a broken mount. The old mount and top plate is on the right and the arrows point to the torn spots on the mount.

I’m looking at these two pictures (by Max at the beginning of this thread), with what appears to be 4 mounts, and am not sure what the heck is going on.

The left picture seems to be of two complete mounts. The mount to the left on the left pic of the two is THE new and upgraded mount? To the right of it is an older style and broken mount with the arrows. Then what is the pic to the right with the 2 silverfish mounts showing us?

I hate to reveal how dense I am here but after reading this thread I guess I still need some specific special-Ed on the front motor mount issue.

My 03 A may need mount renewal. I’ve 53,000 on it and take no goofy chances. Two parts men at dealers I've asked have no idea regarding this and do not show an "upgrade" to the front motor mount for the 03 whether using a later 05+ mount or not.

I'm going to change it out and what should I order? The mount they had in stock seemed to be the very one I wish to upgrade from. Sure it isn't the end of the world but I couldn't convince this expert that if I've gone to the trouble of checking the mount and there is an upgrade talked about on a web site, then I'd like to get the upgrade.

Then I endured this line that astonished me.." you have to take anything you read on the internet with a grain of salt" OK, I will get my salt out but how can we identify if the newer 05 mount can substituted for my 03 original? The brackets appear to be entirely different in the 2 pics so…er what? They didn't have the 05 mount in stock so I need to order the thing anyway. The original is in stock but is it the mysterious upgrade or not?

Confused, sorry.

#34 ·
I know I"m ressurecting an old thread, but finally got around to getting the mount to replace mine. I had to order it (like all v-rod parts it seems), and I ended up with what looks like the 'old' mount. The part number is 16307-01, and it looks exactly like the mount that's on my '04.

Would HD still be making and shipping the pre-05 mount? It looks like I may have to specifically order the '05 part number to get the right one. Anyone have any thoughts?

#35 ·
sburke91 said:
I know I"m ressurecting an old thread, but finally got around to getting the mount to replace mine. I had to order it (like all v-rod parts it seems), and I ended up with what looks like the 'old' mount. The part number is 16307-01, and it looks exactly like the mount that's on my '04.

Would HD still be making and shipping the pre-05 mount? It looks like I may have to specifically order the '05 part number to get the right one. Anyone have any thoughts?
The mount does look the same until you take it apart. If you take a picture of the mount you got apart I can tell you if it is the new mount or not.

#37 ·
VrodG said:
They should sell you the lastest and greatest, look at the pic in this thread and you can see the difference between the them.

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=347927&postcount=6
Mine looks like the mount on the right in that thread. I didn't pull the one off the bike completely since they look identical, but I was able to see the part number stamp on the rubber, which is identical to the 'new' one I just got. My 'new' mount looks just like the 'old' mount in a couple of the motor mount threads.

I'll shoot a pic of the new one in a few minutes (in the garage right now putting on a fork brace and a chrome headlamp bucket). Yes, it's pathetic, but I have a 'garage' laptop. . needed something to run the RT software on :)

#38 ·
The mount on the right is the old style mount. I would suggest you see if you can exchange it and explain to them that there is an improved design available.

#39 ·
Max said:
The mount on the right is the old style mount. I would suggest you see if you can exchange it and explain to them that there is an improved design available.
Thanks Max. I was pretty sure that was the case but was hoping someone could confirm. I know that the part was ordered in from HD (it took a week to get it), so it would seem they're still either making or sitting on a pile of the old ones.

#40 ·
sburke91 said:
Thanks Max. I was pretty sure that was the case but was hoping someone could confirm. I know that the part was ordered in from HD (it took a week to get it), so it would seem they're still either making or sitting on a pile of the old ones.
My guess is you won't get the newer mount unless you order it. It was never a recall or bulletin so you probably just have to order an 05 mount to get the later mount.

#41 ·
Hopefully they'll let me exchange it. The parts guys were asking me v-rod exhaust questions yesterday (after sheepishly apologizing for dealer guys asking a customer tech advice), so hopefully there's some good will built up.

For anyone in central Ohio, AD Farrow's new shop at Northstar doesn't know much about VSRC's, but they're learning, bit by bit :D

Directed 2 DX owners and a AW to the forum over the past week, hopefully they remembered the URL.

#42 ·
Max said:
My guess is you won't get the newer mount unless you order it. It was never a recall or bulletin so you probably just have to order an 05 mount to get the later mount.

This is correct they still show the old mount for pre 05 bikes, you must specify that you want the 05 mount. Also they will want to sell you the upper mount but if you remove the rubber bushing from your original mount they are the same. Just went through this and mine was broken completely.

#43 ·
dammit ive just checked my mount and its busted!!!ive phoned my dealer and they dont know or any claims.can anyone tell me the correct replacement part number to make sure i get the right mount.im in new zealand and have to get it in from the states .

#44 ·
Motor mount

can someone clarify: i see part #16307-05 and #16311-05 for the 2005 motor mount conversion. which one is necessary for the conversion? i read in the post that the rubber can be cut off one of the old mounts to make it like the new mount. which part can you cut the rubber off of? if this is the case, which one do i need to order. please help me identify which one is which, and any pics of the new mount installed would be helpful. thanks

#45 ·
capthero5 said:
can someone clarify: i see part #16307-05 and #16311-05 for the 2005 motor mount conversion. which one is necessary for the conversion? i read in the post that the rubber can be cut off one of the old mounts to make it like the new mount. which part can you cut the rubber off of? if this is the case, which one do i need to order. please help me identify which one is which, and any pics of the new mount installed would be helpful. thanks

Look at the very first post in this thread from Max. Ignore the first picture on the left. Look at the second picture. Those 2 shiny pieces of metal are EXACTLY the same thing. Only one has a rubber donut glued to it that can be pried off with a screwdriver. That piece you do not need to buy. Simply peel that donut off and discard. I have the blank one because I ordered it not knowing...that I use for a paperweight.

#48 ·
One more thing that I want to mention that Max did not clarify in the very first post. (At least I didn't understand, you all might:) ) Those 2 black pieces that you see in the first picture is not just the mount that you are replacing. Max is also showing the bracket that bolts to the engine. (That is the black plate with the 4 holes in it) You do not need to order and replace this piece. Only the rubber circle that you see poking through. The rubber mount that you are replacing attaches to this bracket with the 2 large allen screws. You really can't see in this picture what the piece looks like. My old one is shown here...

Attachments

#50 ·
Motor mount

well i finally tackled the front motor mount change. like all have previously stated...this job was a muther! this job requires serious patience! it took me about 7 hours. i do NOT want to do this anytime soon! that bolt on the left side is very hard to get at. my 03's motor mount was cracked half way, so i seriously recommend anyone with the older models to get it checked.

#51 ·
It took over an hour to get the old mount out. The rubber mount looks like new with about 9600 on the bike. The new version should be here this afternoon from Zanotti, so I'll upgrade to be on the safe side.

Yes, the two bolts that hold the bracket to the engine on the shifter side were a bitch. Without the proper tools and a lot of patience boys & girls, it's not an easy job. Plus it's about 89 degrees here with high humidity and the sweat was dripping into my eyes during most of the job......

Another 1 1/2 hours to get the new one in and bolted up.....my advice to anyone who is going to do it, DO NOT snug any of the bolts down, including the large bolt that goes through the mount until all of the bolts have started in their proper locations......

Max, if you did the complete job in 1 1/2 hours, you are my hero.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.