Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Engine shutting off, brand new bike

14K views 113 replies 45 participants last post by  NightRunner 
#1 ·
In the 250 miles I have so far on my 2013 NRS the engine has cut out 4 times. I wasn't keeping track but I feel like its at about the same interval, every 60-70 miles. It always happens when I'm slowing down to a stop or to turn at an intersection, squeeze the clutch, and it shuts off right when I kick it into 1st from 2nd, clutch still squeezed. The red oil lamp light lights up. It always starts right back up. Tank is no where near empty. I brought it to the dealership they had it for a day and said the ECM didn't throw any codes so they need to ride it around until it happens again.

The fuel gauge is also retarded bounces up and down and sometimes the fuel light goes on when I have plenty of gas left. Dealership said it was probably the fuel sending unit. Could this be related?

Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas on what it could be? I really rather not leave the bike with the dealership so they can joyride it for 70 miles. I also use this bike as a commuter so not having my bike for several days would really suck. I hate public transportation!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#3 ·
Yes it happened to me on my new VRSCDX, exactly as you described it. Took it in and they replaced the IAC sensor that was faulty. Hasn't done it again. I believe it did pull a code as I talked to the tech about it, said it was the first time he's seen that before but sure it's happened to more than a few of us. Hope that helps, update back.

#7 ·
Just wanted to share that the same thing happened to me ONCE awhile back but never happen again after that. Scared the $H!t out of me coz it cut off in the middle of traffic and of course I did not expect it. Dealership told me to keep an eye on it and let them know if it happens again but thankfully, has not happen since. But hope you get yours fixed soon and please keep us posted coz you never know...ride safe.

#8 ·
And BTW, the fuel gage bouncing around is in no way related to the problem you are experiencing with stalling but can be fixed by a Harley dealer under warranty. Ask or search around the forum, it's a very common problem for the fuel gage to have a mind of its own. Had a 2008 V-Rod that did it, had it fixed. Now I have a 2012 and thankfully it's working fine.

#9 ·
I had exactly the same with my new 11 DX. Dealer could find nothing wrong so I "lived" with it for awhile.
Changed stock exhaust for V&H black widows, fitted a high flow air filter and a Fuelpak...problem disappeared, bike has run like a dream ever since.
And yes, the fuel gauge is crap!!

Royal British Legion Rider

#10 ·
Ya know, I'm pretty sure this happened to me also. Riding home from the dealer (leftover 2012 anniversary - model 3 miles on it) it was a cold day, and I had just downshifted for a left turn, and the thing quit. I was pretty cold, and thought maybe I hit the kill button, but was in traffic and got it started and kept going. It has not happened again, but only have just over a 100 miles on it. I am starting to go thru it and use di-electric grease on all connectors I can get to. Ride safe, Bill

#11 ·
Spoke to the service manager and told him about the IAC. He said that totally made sense. Didn't have one in stock so he ordered one right away. Weather permitting, I'm bringing it in on Tuesday to swap the IAC and fuel sending unit. Hopefully this will resolve all issues. Really upsetting for a brand new $16k machine.

First time it happened to me I also thought I might have just hit the kill switch.

#14 ·
That has also happened with my new 2013 about 3 or 4 times. I have cams ordered and already have high flow AC and Supertrapp slipons and supertuner. I'm going to mention it to them when I go in for the cam install so that if the stalling still persists after being dyno tuned they can look at the IAC. I'm thinking (hoping) the dynotune will eliminate the issue.

#16 ·
well i am back at the dealer now, 4th time... unfortunately the dealer has been unable to ex periance this when they ride it, i told them flat out i will not ride this bike until the problem is found. if it happens in a long corner im probably going down... if anyone has any updates let me know and i will do the same.

#17 ·
The OP is experiencing engine shutdown when idling not while moving.

The IAC is only operational when the bike is not moving (VSS indicates 0 mph) and when the throttle is closed (TPS < 1%).

If your bike stalls while moving the problem isn't likely to be related to the IAC motor.

#19 ·
It's the IAC

Mine has never stalled since the IAC was changed out

#21 ·
your dealer is not alone... we have had 2 or 3 v-rods that have had that problem that no cause can be found... one of our first 2002`s had that problem and we finally sent it back to the factory and they couldn`t get the problem to repeat in milwaukee but it still had the problem when it came back... that one was fixed with the iat relocation but the other ones with that problem already had the iat relocation from the factory...if a definate answer is found i would love to know the fix.... we still have one in the area that will have that issue ....

#22 ·
Here is my logic

My situation is on a 2012 anniversary model. less than 200 miles. Mine has only shut off when down shifting. I'm thinking it has something to do with the clutch activated switch or circuitry. Mine has quit twice, both times while the clutch lever was in action. Never just idling, or moving in gear. I'm really new to the V-Rod universe, so maybe it's something else. But this is one to ponder. Mine will be going to the dealer when weather permits.

#23 ·
The idle has been erratic as well. At first I though that might just be a characteristic of this bike but was able to compare it to my friends 2012 and it was completely different.

Dropping the bike off at the dealer at noon today to change the iac and the fuel sending unit. Should be ready for pick up by tonight. I'll report back once I get her back and see if the idle has smoothed out.

#92 ·
Those bolts are a menace. But I amazed that anyone would replace the throttle body rather than remove it and extract the bolt (as I had to do last month).

#27 ·
God i'm in the wrong line of work !!!

LOCTITE !!!.. Right in the freakin' Manual.. Use heat gun to break Loctite.. Freakin' Morons :bash:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.