Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Brake pads

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  rc4man 
#1 ·
Anyone have an opinion about Kevlasr vs, Ceramic pads (performance in rain, dry life, etc)?

#3 ·
A popular pad for forum members is the LRB (Lyndall Racing Brakes) pads.

Forum sponsor Hogpro carries these. LRB pads are carbon-kevlar "organic" pads. For street use the Z Plus pads work best (longer rotor life and less dust than the higher performance Gold Plus or Red Plus pads).

An '04 VRSC with Kelsey-Hayes calipers would use P/N 7195-Z.

#4 ·
We have sold several different pads over the years but I will like the LRB Z plus pads for the vrods the best. They have good performance, less dust, and tend to be less harsh on the rotors then a sintered pad like EBC. I have some in stock in you are interested. $105 for all three sets with free shipping to the lower 48 states.

#9 ·
I have used both ceramic composite pads and organic kevlar pads.

Ceramic pads are for competition use. When cold they provide very little feedback through the hand lever, and require a great deal of lever pressure to stop. When hot they work fabulously which is why road racers use them, but in normal street riding you wlll not heat up a ceramic pad enough to get the full benefit. In wet riding they feel like the pad and rotor are both made of plywood. No feel, no stopping power. Horrible. They are primarily for road racing in dry conditions (you use sintered pads for wet riding at the expense of rotor life, sintered pads chew rotors up very quickly).

An organic Kevlar pad will give you full braking power and outstanding feedback when dead cold. They are the best choice for street riding because they do not have to be fully heated to work well, and they are very gentle on rotors. The only time they might not be ideal is at racing speeds on a road course, something hardly any V-Rod will ever see. Even for spirited back road hoons on a loaded sport touring motorcycle kevlar pads are a great choice. They are better in the rain than ceramic pads by far.

#14 ·
Stock HD pads seem to work fine here. Tried different makers didn't see anything but more rotor wear and went back to HD. Only reason I switched to other makers was for the supposed reduced dust factor and as I found out the only way to reduce the dust is not use your brakes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.