Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

fork seals leaking?

6K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  RustyG 
#1 ·
has anyone else had a problem with the fork seals ? i've replaced them twice and they are leaking again! i'm thinking about getting upside down forks does anyone know if i can get them in britain?

#2 ·
There could be an imperfection on the fork such that after time it ruins the seal from going up and down.

#3 ·
If you have any scratches in your fork tubes they will leak. If the scratches are light, you can take them out with judicious application of 400 grit sandpaper. Tear the sandpaper into strips and sand around the tube like you are polishing the toe of your shoe with a cloth. If the scratches have any depth, you will be buying new tubes. Do Not sand enough to change the diameter of the tube. It'll just leak more.

#5 ·
You are aware the seals can be installed upside down right? This will cause leaks. The book says the chamfered edge should be down toward the oil. I could not tell the difference until I discovered a real small diameter spring hidden in the folds of the seal. I installed the seal such that the spring was on the down side and all was well.

#6 ·
Maybe a little off the topic but I am in the process of taking my front end apart to change my seals today. And tomorrow will do the rebuild.

How did you take the old seals out and how did you put the new seals in ? With special tools or ???

#7 ·
Flying Freddie has a excellent thread on how to install Progressive front fork spring kit. LINK HERE

Post # 5 and 7 talk about dis-assembly and reassembly. It should get you through to replacing the seals. Not all of it will pertain to seal replacement. It's quite simple actually.

You need a 2" piece of schedule 40 PVC pipe to install new seal.

#8 ·
I had my fork tubes replaced under warranty at 3000km because they were leaking there, were slight grooves (SCRATCHES) in the chrome chopping them out. 15000km now no probs since. Must say the dealer was great about it.

#9 ·
besides the fork tubes being scratched, caked up/dried up bug guts could cause them to leak. i always make a point to clean that area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.