Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Blowin fuses

1K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Shoe 
#1 ·
I keep blowin the accessories fuse. If I ride in the rain or wash the bike, the bike will start poppin he accessories fuse (usually the next day). The problem is, when the fuse goes, I lose my brake light and turn signals (that's a serious problem). I can usually tell when it's going to short out, because the turn signal (usually) gets stuck and wont shut off, when it finally shuts off, pop, no signal or brake light. Any ideas?

#2 ·
Water getting into your Handlebar switches? I would cover them with plastic next time, and see if that eliminates the problem.

#3 ·
:them: and dielectric grease all of it to add a layer of water protection...

#4 ·
Something is exposed that should not be or wasn't when built. You need to go thru all the wiring to find out where. A clue is that it's probably an area that is holding water like the interior of a switch housing or interior of the speedo, or a plug right-side up that is filling with water.
Any changes lately? Mods?

#5 ·
Spray all fuzes, switches etc with ACF50. In fact, cover the entire bike with it especially if you ride during the winter...brilliant stuff!!

Royal British Legion Rider

#6 ·
No recent mods. I have a biketronic run/turn/brake module, but I checked that and no problems there. I'll check the switches first and go from there.

#7 ·
The systems you lose are where the problem is. The water is causing their supply voltage to take a shortcut to ground. You need to find out where the exposed source wire (s) is and take steps to protect it. Could be multiple things.

#8 ·
Are those kuryakyn relos on your ride? Their wires suck. They do not age well. Mine freyed at the points where they were ziptied and shorted to ground on me. Could be one of your problems.

#10 ·
switches are all sealed so with these either they will work or not if OEM part. Had the same issue, I went up to the next fuse by 5 and then 10 AMPS which seems to have stopped the issue. You can go up 10 AMPS more if need be but I would not go further than that.

If you keep on burining fuses after that, treating the contacts with a good electronic cleaner that not only cleans but protects the fuse holder is recommended.

I had used a VpCI (vapor phase corrosion inhibiotr) blue bag for the fuse housing assembly. Slip the fuse holder into the bag, use of electric tape to seal the bag around the harness and then slide the bag onto the tabs where the fuse housing rests. The tabs will poke holes in the bag, but these are not big enough to allow water to accumulate to the point where the bag would fill, at least this was the case with my experience.

#12 ·
:them:

#13 ·
Light housings are stock. I only use the Kuyakyn clamp to attach to the forks. I used dielectric grease on the lights and connectors, and it still pops the accessory fuse after a about a half hour of riding. Weird thing is, it doesnt blow while riding in the rain, always about a day later.

#15 ·
:laugh: :laugh: :rolleyes: not helpful......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.