Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1487cc Turbo 2nd Edition

154K views 701 replies 77 participants last post by  coastrider 
#1 ·
I decided to open a new topic to entertainment you with my 2nd edition engine build and
raise some useful discussion up about a Revolution pushed to it's limit in street use.
My target is 250rwhp@7500rpm 185 ft-lbs@5000rpm, but especially I'm trying to improve reliability, which has been the problem. I'm fustrated to open the engine every 3000km.

So, here we go....

CP Pistons are the old ones, driven 6000km. There are couple of scratches in a skirt because of flying bearing pieces in the engine. They are measured and polished to prevent carbon building to the top. Compression ratio is a mandatory in my case.

Has somebody seen somewhere forged pistons for 4.25" (12:1, 1/4" stroker offset pin)?

New piston rings and at this time end plays are adjusted smaller than previously.

1st 0.60mm
2nd 0.70mm
oil ring 0.35mm

Old K1 rods, new bolts. There are marks of flattened and spread pin bushings under pressure. Pin clearances are still okay, but too narrow or soft pin bushings will be a problem in the future. Better pushing material will be needed some day.

Wiseco cylinder liners are used ones. They are measured and re-honed to RA12 recarding CP's instruction for Ductile moly rings.

Falicon 3/8" stroker full circle crank. As I know there are two types of Falicon full circle ctranks in the market.
The other one is with an open rod pin and an other one with blugged rod pin, like mine. How are oil drillings when the rod pin is nod blugged. Does somebody know what is a backround for changes?

See less See more
#214 ·
I was decided to be happy with the setup I have, but
....when we are making a new flange and plenum....
A high end of GT2560R compressor looks so much better than GT2554R in 1487cc, I just can't live w/o testing it.

This seems to be an endless story.:banghead:

A pre-work of compressor housing's chroming is the most unpleasant job I know:mad:.

#215 ·
Bigger blower, bigger boom. :D

#217 ·
1 bar = a fun
2 bar = the parties:D

#219 ·
:thumb: :thumb:

Jeez, I'm breaking the tire loose all the time with 150HP, what's your last name, Michelin? :rofl:

#220 ·
Did order, no return:
- GT2560R inconell (to 330hp crank)
- a pile of silicon hoses
- a stack of aluminium tubes and curves
- the flanges will be machined in Dec by member Mukle

The Show Must go on.

#223 ·
Oh my God Karzza. It looks like St. Anger of boost took this round. :angeldev:

Yes. If everything goes well we will machine flanges in 8th Dec. Unfortunately this was first free weekend to us. But this gives us still some time to check and double check flange design so it is suitable for all purposes.

#224 ·
I'm having flashbacks of the carnage when the motor in BadRod II let go.

#226 ·
It is a direct bolt.
I will make some changes to my home made kit. For example the first curve of a charge pipe has been unnessary tight (possible turbulent air flow).

#228 ·
Did I get what??

GT2554R is the best choise for 1130...1250cc

#231 ·
Here are the parts you need to update GT2554R (270hp) to GT2560R (330hp). It is cheaper to buy a complete turbo than a CHRA and a compressor housing separately.

#234 ·
I decided to machine flanges off from the compressor housing.
It is cleaner way to fit an air filter straight to the compressor.

A linear flow of the first angle of a charge tube is important.
I thing I can build the most streamlined start by a 45 deg silicone hose. Let’s see, if there is enought room.

Some finishing is still needed before chroming:banghead:.

#236 ·
Finally a new compressor is ready for chroming.
A prework was as unpleasant 15 hours manual job as I thought, never again.

#237 ·
The new CHRA and compressor housing are ready to install.

Got also (8deg raked) tripple trees and steering dampers fittings from chroming. The damper will be polished only.

Will visit member Mukle tomorrow to finalize the plenum and breather box.

#239 ·
Thanks Knut,
I thing no more can do while using a stock right side engine cover.
At the moment the clutch doesn't slip, but it is terrible to use bicause of "biting".

#241 · (Edited by Moderator)
Did spend whole weekend with the bike.

The new CHRA and compressor housing are in.
A size of the A/R60 compressor is more street beliveable than tiny one A/R 54. Maybe some new horses will appear as well.

8 deg raked (trike)tripletrees extended the bike by 2".
I think the outlook is now more harmonized with 21" front tire. Let's see what is driveability.

#244 ·
#245 ·
Hei.
Thanks for information Karzza,
but I`m saving €€ nowadays, will be going to Florida +++
in the end of February.. have to see Daytona Bike Week
& Key West before I`m getting to old..
Please post up some pictures -V-rods- from Finnexpo..
I do know some of You crazy Finns do build some weird bikes..
Knut.

#246 ·
The bike is in Helinki Bike show. Could not get good pictures.