Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Heated grips

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Rudolf35 
#1 · (Edited)
Best mod i've ever added to any motorcycle i've ever owned. Bought a set of HD heated grips and installed them on my 07 VRSCAW. The only tough part is taking the old grips off and running the wires. Umm, the throttle cable was a bit of a mystery for a minute but having the beauty of GOOGLE many tech sites abound with knowledge I needed. Riding season is extended, no real need to bundle up like the kid on christmas story any longer, it's amazing how much the rest of your body doesn't mind the cold as long as your hands are warm.

#5 ·
TooRad4u - What grips did you use with them? I had to cut the stock grip off the throttle tube so I got a pair of Avon Big Grips and they are still holding up great after all these miles. I use them a lot more than I expected, even during the summer on cool mornings so I don't have to pack extra gloves.

Caffinated1- I've been thinking about going dark for several years and finally decided to give it a shot since I had an extra wheel just sitting around. I figured if I didn't like it I could just switch back without much trouble. 1000 miles so far and haven't looked back yet.

#7 ·
my new grips

Chrome and Rubber Collection Heated Hand Grips - Small Diameter

Chrome and Rubber both have their distinct places in the world of motorcycle styling. It seemed natural to bring the two together to create this unique collection. Keep comfortable on those cool morning or frigid night rides. Warm hands have a major impact on overall body comfort, and sometimes gloves just aren't enough. These thermostatically controlled grips have variable heat settings and automatic temperature monitoring to adjust to changing ambient temperature. The grips remain at a constant temperature regardless of changes in outside temperature. The self-contained control circuit and control knob means you have no additional switches or controller boxes to mount, and the grips are switched on/off with the ignition to avoid draining your battery. The "glueless" grip design allows grip removal if you change handlebars or motorcycles.

56196-03C

Fits '96-later VRSC™, XL, XR, Dyna®, Softail® (except FLSTSE2/3 and FXSBSE) and '96-'07 Touring models. '12-later Dyna® and '11-later Softail® models require separate purchase of Electrical Connection Kit P/N 72673-11. Not compatible with internally wired handlebars.

MSRP US $229.95

Download Instruction Sheet

#9 ·
Polly Heaters

First off, I am not in any way associated with Polly Heaters!

Now for the good stuff. I have Polly's on all my bikes. They are a brass insert that goes into your handlebars at the grip end. Handlebar size is from 7/8th's to 1.5" - they have a adjustable tab. Anyway, to install them you have to take your bars apart but after that life is good; very good. Polly's are made by a small outfit that at first made snow mobile hand grip heaters. They later de-tuned the snow mobile one for use on a motorbike. There are two settings and take my word, on high you better be in 30F or less weather. On medium setting they keep your hands warm, not hot, and as stated before - hands warm, rest happy.

The best part is the kit to my door has been a steady $48.00US; I have ordered so many that I can actually track cost over time.

In use they are better than my BMW GS's ones. Now, they take a bit longer to heat up (use high to get to temp and low for general use) but once to temp they are golden.

After the brass inserts are in the handlebars the electrical part is dead easy. Hot, on my bike through a independent relay that is tied to a switched wire and the battery. Ground, a good ground source; I tend to use the battery ground since it is the most dependable.

http://www.pollyheaters.com/

:deal:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.