Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Plenums

74K views 402 replies 52 participants last post by  mukle 
#1 ·
Do we really need them?
This is the question that I am researching right now.

Turbo or Supercharged piston engines typically use many cylinders arranged in-line and one or two superchargers. Superchargers deliver air at a relatively constant rate, while cylinders demand it in a varying manner, as the valves open and as piston speed varies through the stroke. Simple direct ducting would give problems where the nearest cylinders received more airflow. The pulsating demand from the cylinders would also show problems of either pressure waves in the duct, or a shortage of inlet air towards the end of the inlet phase.

The solution is to provide a large-volume plenum chamber between the inlet and the cylinders. This has two benefits: it evens out the difference in path restriction between cylinders (distribution across space), secondly it provides a large-volume buffer against pressure changes (distribution over time

This post has been deleted
#178 ·
[be part of the solution not the problem

I am part of the solution, I have been working on upgrading my bike for years. Which is why I came back to the forum, to reread posts looking to solve some issues...lots of good people on here with valuable solutions....when others are stirring crap...

anyway - my point was I thought you were referencing that the trask turbo that is part of his kit was a garrett gt 25xx turbo, which obviously it is not it is the journaled 1241 that is in the kit.

you see I thought you might use 25xx data when trying to solve the plenum problems and looking at what the turbo would flow under the curve... didnt want you to have more issues then are already present.
Here take a look at these 2 turbos and tell us which you have...
Auto part Automotive engine part

Auto part Carburetor Automotive engine part Automotive super charger part Automotive starter motor

As you can see they are completely different. The bottom picture is my actual turbo GT25 the same as Rods.
Where are you coming up with that we have a 1241 ?
The 1241 is only good for up to 130 horsepower.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Motorcycle.com App

#180 ·
Like I said - I thought he was speaking of a Trask turbo kit- I am very familiar with the turbo.
I didnt see a reference that he was using a NON TRASK TURBO

Dude
For the last time we both have the Trask turbo kits.
Apparently you are not very familiar with the trask turbo kit.
I'm DONE
I guess Rod and I do not know what kits we have. Lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Motorcycle.com App

#183 ·
Hey man,

Glad to see that you are trying to help out.

If you read the post you will see that I run a trask turbo kit.
If your turbo is a 1241 then it is what it is.

Our turbo's are the gt-25's. :deal:

How and when it got changed I do not know.

We are just trying to make an improved plenum. :them:

Post up some pics and details of your plenum.
I am interested in seeing what you have done.

We are tryijng to help everyone out here in this tread just not ourselves. :notworth:

@doug, Thanks for the link and keep the pics coming.

I know you have your ideas on what you want it to look like.

Maybe we can come close and we all can get on the same page.

:D

Rod

#184 ·
This would be the best of both worlds.

I bet it would be expensive!!!! :D

#187 ·
Back on track....

Who wants one of these?

1 rsc

#189 ·
Muklen has been working with drawings, they are now complety done.

I will pick KMS's IAT sender up and try to buy couple of meters good quality 100mm * 50mm alumium bar at next week.

#190 ·
Yup that's correct. Fifth "paper" flange fits quite neatly and machining drawings has been done. We are not able to do any mistakes nor compromises here but 100% quality.

After Karzza has that IAT sensor we can make final decision where it should be mounted. In this phase changes are still easy to do.

I think we should pay some attention in choosing good aluminum alloy so there is possibility for welding and anodizing etc.

regards Mukle

Personal protective equipment Electronics Metal

#192 ·
Nice work mate! You have great machining skills. Especially I wonder how inside cuttings have been done. You must have quite long milling tools in your machine.

Back to this thread and wonders about Trask plenum integration. Is 25mm too much rise for the plenum so it won't fit under cover?

Have anybody measured what is Trask plenum flange inside diameter and is it round within reasonable like 0.1mm (.004") tolerance?

#193 ·
KMS IAT has the same connector than the V-Rod sotck one.
Now it is question of IAT location, if a stock wiring is long enought.

Is this (dry) NOS injector type you are mainly using?
Thread is 1/16"-27 NPT, not 1/8".

I bought 200cm aluminum 6082 [AlSi1MgMn] bar, so the production will be 9pcs.

#194 ·
Not worried about the wiring.

You can get the relaction kit and extend the wiring if need be.

No help on the NOS!

#197 ·
#199 ·
An IAT is now located. Unfortunately there is no good place in a front intake, so wires have to be extended. There is IAT re-location kit available or a Bosch socket costs 3€.

We reduced a flange height from 25mm to 20mm. Runners are now 34mm long.

A question for Trask users. Is there more than 20mm clearance between a Trask plenum barrel's rear corner and an airbox cover?
The idea, you can cut runners from our flange and fit complete Trask plenum straight on it.

#203 ·
Karzza is using individual runners and wants his flange to be as universal for everyone as possible. You do want it near the throttle body to give the most accurate reading. Good question, thats why we like the posts on this thread. If you use Karzzas setup, you can go from a plenum to IR, add intercooler, ram air, water injection, etc by using silicon connectors.

#204 ·
You do want it near the throttle body to give the most accurate reading.
Exactly, it is not relevant to measure a hardware or sun shine temp as a IAT-value.
This i s more important when a forced induction, because IAT variates a lot more and quicker than in case of a normally aspirate.
In the best case IAT-measuring is included to MAP-sender.

#206 ·
No, it has not stopped.
The aluminum bar will be machined to 9pcs of the plenum flanges at 8th of December.
Mukle and Kazza have some other, the plenum case related, parts in a design prosess :D

#208 ·
I got the temp-resistance values from KMS. The strongly logaritmic scale is very near of a stock IAT's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.