Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

2012 Backrest/Luggage option

31K views 154 replies 35 participants last post by  Never2mucHP 
#1 ·
Hell fellow riders,

I have owned around 9-10 HD's but recently came from a sport tourer and really missed the ability to carry basic things. I live in Phx and am a daily rider so quick and easy storage is a must. Back packs aren't an option as I have done before with a CBR I owned and hated it. Despite reading more than several negative comments about the HD stock backrest (upright) and luggage rack, I decided to move forward with both of them due to lack of options. I must say I actually really like the setup I have combined with the HD bag (see pics)
I wasn't excited about adding brushed chrome to a non chrome bike, but the HD bag completely hides all the shine. Total setup cost was much more than I wanted to pay and why I waited so long in serach of other options. Bag was $99, upright and luggage $350 so total package $450.

Attachments

See less See more
#10 ·
The setup took my about 3 hours because I triple measured everything and didn't want to misdrill or scratch unnecessarily. I will state that the instructions are almost useless.
The instructions are if you are mounting the rack/upright before the fender has been mounted on the bike. The instructions help for itinerary of parts/screws and location but you will have to think threw the drilling part from underneath the bike.
The drill holes are extremely obvious and appear to be pre-engineered for this rack. So the location of the holes becomes very clear, but not because of the instructions. If I had to mount again I could do it in about 45 minutes without rushing...allow 3hrs and you won't be disappointed.

#3 ·
The backrest/upright can be separate.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

#5 ·
It's actually the other way around. If you buy jut the backrest you have to buy the mounting kit for $24 to mount just the backrest. If you buy the luggage rack, the hardware comes with it.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

#9 ·
It's the same bag sold with the 93300003.
I bought the small bag just by itself for $99.00
Don't be fooled this is not the 93300005 bag (that bag is bigger and costs $149 and it has 3 d-rings per side)
I am very impressed with the quality of the HD bag (easy flow zippers, strudy structure that keeps it form, emblem and piping both night glow) this is the 3rd bag I have installed on this rack and it's a keeper...the other two never made it longer than a week.

#17 ·
I removed the fender for my install. It is still difficult to drill the holes so they are in line with the threads on the fender. I ended up using one size larger drill bit to get all the holes lined up. I did chip my paint (even though I taped the exit point with masking tape), that paint is like glass! My rack covers up the chip mark just fine. Having seen mine all drilled, IMO it would look like crap with the fender removed.

#19 ·
I have done this same install and the back fender comes off easy. Just unbolt the back seat then slide it off and four bolts and two plugins and then the whole fender comes off and underneath the fender there is plastic spots that mark where you need to drill and masking tape on the opposite from where you are drilling so the paint doesn't crack and peel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#20 ·
You can mount the back rest by itself. The back rest actually has the HD logo on it for that reason. I had mine with just the back rest for awhile then added the rack.

Yes the drilling you need to be careful and acurate (the angle is critical) and yes my paint chipped too but the mounting bracket covers it up nicely. Fender came off in about 5 minutes the second time installing the rack.

I think the rack and rest really set-up the back of the bike nicely. I have the '12 DX Aniversary so the polishished aluminum is perfect.

Anyone figure out how to make a chrome or polished aluminum side "bag"

#22 ·
The bracket came with the back rest. The back rest part number I bought is 52300016.
I didn't like the way it looked and I had drilled the holes already so I thought I would add the rack. Rack part number 5030028. Strange thing was is that the bracket came with the rack too, so I had a spare for awhile.

Everything I read said you needed the rack to instlall the back rest so I am not sure if they screwed up with the back rest, it actually comes with the bracket or if the dealer was trying to help me out.

Anyway, I didn't like the look of the backrest by itself added the rack and now I love the look.

#28 ·
Hey guys, anyone got the part number for the mounting kit to just mount the backrest? all mine came with is the one bolt to mount the top of the luggage rack to the backrest bracket. also how do you get the pads off the backrest so i can have it powder coated black.
thanks for any help. Smkblwr

#29 ·
I opted to not drill into my fender and just build a rack that was actually useful and could be removed in less than 5mins with 4 tools: a 13mm wrench, t45&t40 sockets and a ratchet. Was perfect and was able to easily handle the Kuri grand traveler and grand throw over saddle bags which gave me nearly as much storage capacity as my dads ultra classic CVO....

Major plus is that I don't have that goofy looking chrome backrest and utterly useless rack nor have to drill into my bike anywhere. Used existing frame holes and the upper shock bolt to attach. I also made it cover the bitch-pad as I wanted to use the luggage as a backrest on my trip to sturgis a few months ago.

Worked pretty well.

#30 ·
I ordered the backrest and luggage rack when I bought my 13DX, the parts have been back ordered but finally came in. I just hope the dealer does a good and "careful" job installing next week. I plan on picking up that same bag as well. Looked at it at the dealership and seems to be real nice quality.

#33 ·
I mounted a Coocase 48 trunk onto the luggage rack and mounting bracket for the NRS. Used the mounting bracket from Coocase to solid mount to the luggage rack. Just put a Harley sticker on the Coocase emblem and WALA! A Harley trunk for half price. BAM! Check out my Album Mad Dogs VRod.:angeldev:

#34 ·
I ordered the back rest and bracket through my Harley Dealer, and went to have it installed this afternoon. Only to have the delearship tell me it can't be installed without the luggage rack. I tried to explained to them that it can be done but they wouldn't hear it, now I'm stuck with a backrest and mount. Does anyone have pics of the install or what it looks like without the luggage rack? I want to be confident I like the look before I go trying to drill holes in the bike myself.

2013 NRS

#36 ·
mounting the day bag

Unfortunately, I only have a mini sissy bar and small luggage rack on my '07... I am afraid this won't work for me without going to a taller sissy bar with a buddy pad. Which is too bad because I really like this. I wish I could see one in person.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.