Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Reading codes

174K views 217 replies 82 participants last post by  Thekat 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
The IM (instrument module) is capable of displaying DTC's (diagnostic trouble codes).

1. Ignition off
  2. push the odometer reset button in & hold. Make sure the run switch is on.
  3. turn ignition to run and release the button (you will see P, S &C displayed)
  4. each letter represents an area of diagnostics... the one that is flashing is the one you are going to check. To move from one letter to the next, you push the button one time. (from P to S to C and back to P, etc.)
  5. to get DTC within an area, you push and hold the button in for 5 seconds and if there are any, it will be displayed... you can release the button. As you push the button again, other codes will appear if they are there. If there are not any the word 'none' appears.
  6. Record the codes.
  7. To determine if a code is current or historic, you clear the codes while being displayed by pushing in and holding the button until 'clear' comes up. Turn off the ignition... then crank or restart the bike... turn off, and then repeat the coding process. If a code is there now, it's current... if not, it was historic.

See less See more
#3 ·
Max said:
The IM (instrument module) is capable of displaying DTC's (diagnostic trouble codes).

1- Ignition off
2- push odometer reset button in & hold. Make sure run switch is on.
3- turn ignition to run and release button (you will see P, S &C displayed)
4- each letter represents an area of diagnostics... the one that is flashing is the one you are going to check. To move from one letter to the next, you push the button one time. (from P to S to C and back to P, etc.)
5- to get DTC within an area, you push and hold the button in for 5 seconds and if there are any, it will be displayed... you can release the button. As you push the button again, other codes will appear if they are there. If there are not any the word 'none' appears.
6- Record the codes.
7- To determine if a code is current or historic, you clear the codes while being displayed by pushing in and holding the button until 'clear' comes up. Turn off the ignition... then crank or restart the bike... turn off, and then repeat the code process. If a code is there now, its current... if not, it was historic.
Hey Max,
Thanks again ...just followed your procedure and pulled a P1009 "Current Incorrect Password"???? Cleared it and restarted and then checked codes again, got "none" So it looks like I'm good to go...what do you suppose P1009 is???
???

#4 ·
Max said:

1- Ignition off
2- push odometer reset button in & hold. Make sure run switch is on.
3- turn ignition to run and release button (you will see P, S &C displayed)
4- each letter represents an area of diagnostics... the one that is flashing is the one you are going to check. To move from one letter to the next, you push the button one time. (from P to S to C and back to P, etc.)
5- to get DTC within an area, you push and hold the button in for 5 seconds and if there are any, it will be displayed... you can release the button. As you push the button again, other codes will appear if they are there. If there are not any the word 'none' appears.
6- Record the codes.
7- To determine if a code is current or historic, you clear the codes while being displayed by pushing in and holding the button until 'clear' comes up. Turn off the ignition... then crank or restart the bike... turn off, and then repeat the code process. If a code is there now, its current... if not, it was historic.
Max
I believe that the key must be in the run position and the handlebar switch in the run position to read the "P" codes. Otherwise you get a "noresp" message.

#10 ·
Wildbill said:
Hey Max,
Thanks again ...just followed your procedure and pulled a P1009 "Current Incorrect Password"???? Cleared it and restarted and then checked codes again, got "none" So it looks like I'm good to go...what do you suppose P1009 is???
???
:stupid: not sure what that means that is the code I got also

#11 ·
Once again, this site has saved me tons of headaches. Thanks for posting the codes and how to check/clear them. I had a P0113, ends up the metal clip holding the sensor on came off and the connection worked it's way out. About a 5 second fix, HD would have probably charged me about $100.

Thanks Max.

• Helpful
Reactions: Admin
#13 ·
Tapia it would have had to have been his IAT sensor that uses the metal retainer clip. If it is not all the way seated it works like a spring to push the connector off.

#15 ·
Max said:
Tapia it would have had to have been his IAT sensor that uses the metal retainer clip. If it is not all the way seated it works like a spring to push the connector off.
That's exactly it.

#204 ·
Search function of forum or Google will bring them up also.
Ron
Got it! And in order of severity. Also found a free HD full Service manual online and it contains the same, as well as a diagnostics tree diagram. I can post a clip of that unless it isn't allowed at this Site. Any idea if this might be allowable. It is HD info, but for a 2002 bike, so 20 years old.

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
Already done.

Reactions: SGTFRED
#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
This thread just probably saved me 100 plus dollars. I was checking some connections under the air box, then put everything back together. I stated the bike and the check engine light came on. I did a quick lookover of the bike and noticed that I forgot to put the air sensor back together. So I put the sensor in and again started the bike, check engine light still came on. Well I ran it through the check code process, found the code was indeed from the air sensor, cleared the code, and the bike is back to perfect. Thanks Max, the check is in the mail.

• Helpful
Reactions: Admin
#19 ·
Max my man, Have an '04 VRSCA and set of shop manuals. Also have the rear ts/ run/stop module and the new LED lite. The ts have been acting flaky so I used your info to obtain DTC's as you described. The "P" flashed,I got a code - 32513-04. Can't find it in the manual.......What is it, my man?? Bionic Bob

#199 ·
*Ronnie’s parts finder also gives exact details of everything need to fix plus order from Harley-Davidson dealership straight to house and he has most major parts needed no run arounds ether

*Free manuals to work on any make of bike 🏍 he’s been updating it also

*Tire 🛞 mod

#20 ·
I was a victim of the dreaded P0113 myself. Thanks Max! Thanks to everyone else! You guys make life SOOO much easier! Thanks! :thumb:

#21 ·
A couple of weeks ago my engine light would come back on for a few seconds after the engine would start. As per Max's instructions, I checked for codes. I found the code was P0113. (IAT sensor open/high) It seemed that it was historic since it cleared and didn't re-appear after starting the bike.

I guess I'm in the clear here? Only started doing this a couple of weeks ago so that's a historic code and I really have no real problems?

#22 ·
Disturbed said:
A couple of weeks ago my engine light would come back on for a few seconds after the engine would start. As per Max's instructions, I checked for codes. I found the code was P0113. (IAT sensor open/high) It seemed that it was historic since it cleared and didn't re-appear after starting the bike.

I guess I'm in the clear here? Only started doing this a couple of weeks ago so that's a historic code and I really have no real problems?
Just check under the hood to ensure your sensor is seated properly. You should be good though, mine used to come on then go off and occasionally come back on again. It ended up being the sensor

#24 ·
NightRod ELPASO said:
Thanks for posting the codes and how to check/clear them. I had a P0113, ends up the metal clip holding the sensor on came off and the connection worked it's way out. About a 5 second fix, H-D would have probably charged me about $100.
Thanks Max.
I too had the dreaded P0113!

As I missed this thread I took it to the dealer & they fixed it Gratis.

Ya gotta win sometimes right?

#26 ·
The Fountian of Truth...

Knowledge is Power...

I was riding carefree in Eastern Oregon high desert, turning juniper trees along the long straight stretches into a blur when the motor started to stumble and miss a bit... The bike struggled along, loosing it's power...

...even under throtle it bucked and missed, so I checked what I then knew to check and limped the last hundred miles home, freaked I'd see a rod wrapped around my boot or something... Nothing I could do, limped home...

...called a non-dealer to do the 5000 mile service and "tune" it... Plugs, oil, K&N air filter and diagonistics, which I figured would catch the glitch... Bought it a month a go, had just over 2K on it, has now 4800 and is in the shop... On the advise of the first service that swapped out the essentials was to replace the IAT sensor, which they said was the code that poped up...

...I can't go back and use the fantastic information and helpful info on calling up codes and the like, but I'd be ****ing stupid not to say "Extreme Thanks!" for this resource, which is amazing... I'm going to enjoy this Vrod when Latus Motors goes over it, and while I'm sure it will be a "pound and a half" of flesh, this bike is exactly my vision of a bike with attitude and style... It doesn't need much to make it one of the most thrilling rides I can imagine, and I thank the international collaboration and forward thinking people who made this bike a reality.

Long long ago I owned a shiny silver Honda CBX, with a nice wide black factory stripe down the center of the tank, pinstripped with a fine line... ...ok, ok, it was tape with a clear coat, but anyway... Six into 2, pull out the factory baffles and in a straight line that bike made my eyelids turn inside out... I haven't grinned like lately since then, and it is great for a 58 year old/young fart like me... I've always ridden alone (hondas and all that) but it sure is fun riding such a responsive machine as is the Vrod... That cbx was about 1050cc and like riding a big garbage can turned sideways, with six wicked chrome fangs and "wee headlight"...

I got older, fatter, and for me this Vrod touches the smiles and grins I've always considered part of my life... Riding 30 years this bike makes it fun again to blast here, go there, visit mom... ...I'm a good guy again because of this thang... I've always enjoyed custom bikes, harley fatboys, but this dusky gold and black bike changes everything!!! WhaaHooo!!!

...and now I can call up codes and keep a better track of how the bike is doing, and for that??? "priceless?" ...flat amazing... Thanks again...