Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Stainless exhaust color

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  breezewon 
#1 ·
I'm putting the stainless v&h 2:1 comp on my bike. My question is how they change color. Is there anything specific you do or length of time in which this happens or does it even happen with all of them. The reason I ask is I kinda like the goldened color I've seen on some of them but is there a trick to it or something people use to stop this from occurring?

#2 ·
Here is my new Arrow Stainless steel system on my Triumph. I installed the exhaust and took the air box off and had it flashed all in the same day so it turned this nice bronze color. I didn't remove the Air Induction system at that time which force feeds air into the motor causing decel popping etc.. so I noticed them to start to Blue a bit where they met the motor after a few 100 miles. I quickly removed the AI system and the Decel and Bluing ended. A proper Tune etc... will keep the pipes from bluing .

#5 ·
Being an Aircooled bike the biggest problem was keeping heat down to stop the bluing, on our Water cooled bikes it should be easier to keep the motor at proper temp but what everyone I talked to the consensus was that too much Air in the system on this bike lead to hotter running motor. So as long as yours is tuned proper its shouldn't be a problem, These are still faint blue at the motor and I am not sure if that is because of the AI system being left on or if would have happened anyways. They are turning darker bronze though still.

#8 ·
I actually work for a big automotive header company. We only use Stainless.

Expect it to "champagne" but you could clean it up if it gets past the color you would ideally like it.

Blue Away removes discoloration from "blued" or gold pipes. Follow up with Simichrome for a mirror shine. Works on S/S and chrome. We use this in our shop to take the discoloration off of polished components after welding.

There are bottles of it at each weld bench in the shop. Stuff works great!

-Jay

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.