Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Help, Overheating

21K views 34 replies 16 participants last post by  mikeinatlanta 
#1 ·
I have a 06 VRSCR with 2,000 miles. Yesterday I started getting an overheat indication. I searched the forum and checked the following:
New style coolant tank is full
Pulled plug in airbox and only managed to add 2 ounces.
Checked under alternator cover (left side 2 screws) and everything seems ok.

The fans are running a lot and it happens at both low and high speed. The engine is obvoiusly very hot but the radiator hoses are not too hot to hold. Outside temp about 60.

What do the experts think, stuck Tstat?

Thanks,
Mike

#5 ·
I would check the triple sprocket also... they can and do back out, some have been known to be loose from the factory.

Check raditor also...clean...check to make sure both fans are coming on.

Check the manual for bleeding the system and do that.

Check cap so it is tight and not losing pressure.

Check bleeder screw to be tight.

Thermostat would be the last thing to dive into...you will have to remove alot to get to it.

The stat itself is not sold as a stand alone part, you have to buy the whole housing and all for 100.00

Good Luck

rsc

#12 ·
Where can I find more info about the triple sprocket bolt's backing out? This happened to my 07 VRSCDX, Its currently been at Mobile HD for two weeks, and Im looking for documentation on this problem and it's frequency. If this is a known & recurring problem I shouldn't have to pay to have it fixed, Thanks

#6 ·
#7 ·
You can check the stat to....feel the hoses to see if the fluid is flowing...

#13 ·
See post number 6

click on the link.

Search function at the top of the page will help.

#14 ·
#16 ·
my case is very similar. i have a vrod muscle 2012 and has about 2800 miles already. bought it about 4-5 months ago and i use it to go back n forth from work. ( rush hour ) so i am on an hour of stop and go kind of deal. the light on the indicator cluster comes up and once i gain some speed it turns off . i took it to the dealer, they said " unable to recreate the problem" i dont know what else to do , its under warranty but cant pintpoint what the problem is. Also. the same took place before my 1k oil change and this overheating never took place. this is very weird.

#19 ·
HD knows about it and doesn't care enough to put out A TSB or PDI,I hate them for it

You will have to be very adamant about pulling the cover and getting it checked.Don't leave until you see it with your own eyes.I told the dealer to check the bolt on mine and they called back an hour later to tell me the exhaust and oil pump had tpo be pulled and checked as there was only 35 psi at 3000 rpm

After losing my mind and flipping out over the phone at the fact they ran the bike without spending 15 minutes to pull the cover and look as I had told them to do.I informed them that I was on my way and the cover had better be off for me to see for myself and of course the bolt had backed out and chewed the shit out of the case bushings.Most dealers don't know about this (see the title)

I would look up the video MAX made and and do it myself.It really only takes 15 minutes to do and is super easy.If you have the ability.if it is lose check the oil for brass shavings.BRASS=CASE BUSHINGS.So have your oil pressure checked after.

ACCORDING TO MEMORY YOU MUST HAVE
----30psi at idle
----42 at 3000rpm
MOST HAVE
----50-60psi at idle
----60-70 psi at 3000rpm

Here did the search for you,it's that important.
DO NOT RUN THE BIKE UNTIL THE BOLT IS CHECKED.
Good luck

Max's video

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108910

More information
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/gtsear...+video&sa=Search&siteurl=www.1130cc.com/&ref=

#20 ·
So this past Thursday i got home and the temperature light turned on. i got off the bike to take a picture and take it to the dealer, the machine in a matter of seconds started leaking coolant and fumes came out. i recorded the whole thing and took it to the dealer next morning. Its Tuesday and they still have not called to advise what is going on. The service adviser stated it might be the radiator ( i doubt it ) but this is the 3rd time i take it i for a fan related or overheating issue. i will follow protocol and wont stop until my motorcycle is fixed ,,, PS i told them to check the waterpump and its torque to make sure its not that ( who knows if they will / wont do it )

#24 ·
I have a little over 12k miles and no I don't get the overheat light. It just seems hot, of course new pipe does not have anywhere near the amount of heat shield the stock pipe. I installed a water temp gage putting the temp sensor in airbleed hole. But I was having the fuelING issue prior to gage install. I did just change the coolant and tried to make sure the was no air. The coolant tank level never moved prior to or post coolant change so pretty sure there is no air. So you don't think it's worth taking off side cover to check bolt? I would agree with you that if it fell out it would overheat to point of turning light on. Pretty sure cooling system is ok but why does it run horrible when it's hot. Didn't have the issue when bone stock

#26 ·
What is your water temp gauge showing for temperature?
Is the coolant level in the overflow tank staying within the "cold/hot" lines or is any leaking out?
When you installed the new pipes did you have it re-tuned or installed a after market tuner of some sort?

#27 ·
RustyG, coolant temp gets up to 180 pretty quick then stays there for awhile while in town, once out on highway Temps stay below 190 but once back it town Temps climb over 200 and it starts to run bad, will get as high as 220, but fan is already on. Then it holds steady around 210 and runs horrible at partial throttle low rpm. If I get back out on highway it runs fine and cools down a little.
I have k&n airfilter, put the pipe on and a V&H Fuelpak to tune the fuel injection. Have tried a few different "maps" and even customized existing maps per V&H techs but still have the issue once over 200 degrees F.

#34 ·
Newbie to Harley world. Quite illiterate mechanically. Bought 2009 night rod special with 8000kms 3 days back. Bike has started to overheat too much, even the headlight was very hot. I have also started to hear some noises. Feels like coming from the front instead of back. No clue what it is. I reved to red on first gear i guess and it all started after that. Any idea anyone?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.