Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Need help with my B..hiccups

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  XvtxCrewzr 
#1 ·
Was a very nice day today,so I took a ride with a couple friends.
Going thru some backroad twisties,I was in 4th gear at about 5k rpm.
I grab the throttle and POP POP BANG BANG the engine cuts in and out,i let go of the throttle and the engine catches and keeps running. I look at my speedo and its at 10 mph and I'm doing 60,the tach isen't working and the odometer is blank :banghead: Everything else works..lights,horn,signals. So I start to try and determine when this "hiccup" is happening.
I'm in 5th now doing a steady 60mph keeping the rpms at a constant setting,and I begin to roll on the throttle, POP POP this time i keep on the throttle and it keeps popping..I pull in the clutch to turn into a parking lot and the engine dies. I turn the ignition off,give it a minute,push the start button and she fires right up,my tach is working again and my odometer is operating..I head to the gas station <was under 1/4 tank> and I pull out of the parking lot and just cranking thru the gears with no issues,got gas..the bike ran fine for 15 minutes and then the same thing all over..pop pop..loose speedo,tach,odometer.
Made it home..my brother,an engineer <software> says its a bad electrical connection somewhere,by buddy,also an engineer <mechanical> thinks its a bad coil,but cant explain why i loose my instruments.
After getting back home we think about it and he asks how my battery is..it IS the original..7yrs old..it is getting weak,cranked the bike over slooooowwwww this morning.
Could it be THAT simple??

Ideas???

Thanks,
Jim

See less See more
#6 ·
Being a trucker its hard to get to my computer untill the weekend but was home to read tonight..thanks for the tips on the ground connections.will check them this weekend and give the battery a good charge,i will be replacing it soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.