Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

My Winter Project

26K views 134 replies 51 participants last post by  Hoffa65 
#1 ·
We're in for a long winter up here so I've gotten busy with my winter project. I thought some of you might be interested. I wanted to have a better/more complete instrument display and this is what I've come up with. It's got all the standard features as well as a few sweet additions. (e.g. wireless connection to the bike, A-GPS, totally configurable display, etc.) Here are the specs so far... But I'm adding more as the winter goes on. My VROD is stored for the winter so the data I'm using is from a NightTrain. (This will work on all Harleys with the JPW1850 interface)

Wireless, Portable, Full Color, Touch Screen, Integrated GPS

Instrument Display

Speed
RPMs - Digital Readout to 16K
Graphical Readout
Gear
Shift Light
Coolant Temp
Fuel Gauge
Average Fuel Economy
Distance Until Empty
Trip Odometer
Million Mile Odometer
Turn Signals
Indicator Lights
Security
Low Fuel
Low Battery
Check Engine
Check Oil
Check Coolant Temp
Countdown to Service
Heading (Graphical)
Altitude
Ambient Temp

Configuration Display

Display Units (US, Metric, UK)
Display Items Visible
Display Item Colours
Redline RPM
Coolant Temp Min/Max
Shift Light
Shift Point
Shift Light Type
Fuel Capacity
Pulley Teeth
Speed Calibration
Fuel Calibration

Drag Display

Full Tree Display
Race Options
1/8 Mile
1/4 Mile
0-60 mph
0-100 mph
Custom Distance (mi)
Custom Speed (mph)
Race Results
RPM, Speed, Distance and Time for each shift point
RPM, Speed, Distance and Time at Finish
Time-stamped Save of Results

Logging Display

Store vehicle data
RPMs
Speed
Odometer
Fuel Consumption
Gear
Coolant Temperature
Warning Indicator States
Turn Signal State
Security System State

Store GPS data
Latitude, Longitude, Speed, Heading, Altitude

I've attached some pics...
1) a minimal display
2) addition of numerical RPM
3) addition of the other sensor displays
4) switch to metric, color change for speed display, gear as shift light
5) My internet table running the app (A nokia n810 - but I should be able to port this to Android and/or IPhone as well - it's on the list)

Let me know what you think. If anyone's interested I'll post more pics or info.

-B

Attachments

See less See more
#66 ·
Hey beastwood will this work on my HFC xv6900?
windows mobile 6 is installed

#70 ·
Interesting... My quick answer is maybe. Here's the deal... Without getting too techie (or political) The reason I targeted the n810 first is that it's operating system is open source and free. Which means I can play/experiment without any upfront cost. Android and IPhone both have open/free SDK's for development as well. However while the Windows Mobile SDK is free you have to buy their Software Development Studio ($600+) in order to do anything with it. My application is very portable, so there is no reason why it couldn't be made to run on a windows mobile platform. If this ever becomes something more than just a fun project for me, I'll support whatever platform demands it.

-B

#67 ·
Wow, this is great stuff! A HUD would be amazing, please tell us more!!!

#68 ·
i shoulda known ,i go and buy a vgauge last year i ,havnt even installed it yet , and something newer and better is gunna replace it ,am i right in saying this is the new vgauge but portible

p,s im very much liking it if it is, cos the vgauge, is a hard mongrel to hide and mount even if it is great

i have no money at the moment but out of curiosity,i went and had a look at ebay for a 810 ,is everyone here bidding on the damn things, whoa theres a lot of interest in the cheap ones ,lol

#78 ·
It's not quite plug and play yet, but if you use all the components in my prototype it should be pretty easy to duplicate my setup. It actually takes quite a long time going from prototype to production. For obvious reasons there are expectations that go with getting an off-the-shelf solution vs. being a beta tester on bleeding edge tech. My goal at this point, seeing that the interest seems high, is to hand-hold a few people and get them up and running with the first version. In this way I can get feedback, harden the device, and put together clear and concise How-To and User Manuals. The ironic thing will be that some of you will probably be using this device before I get to.:banghead: (Curse these Canadian winters!)

If you want to be a beta tester, pm me your email and I'll provide you with all the technical details so you can build a system.

-B

#83 ·
Some more pics

Given that one of you guys might actually be using this thing before I do, I spent a little time, getting all the details sorted out with regard to mounting and component placement on the bike. I decided the best place for the wireless scantool is under the passenger seat. Safe from the weather and close to the fuse block. I'll run the cable to the data port along the left side of the bike with the rest of the wiring harness, behind the battery box and into the right side cover area where the datalink connector is. Will be completely invisible! I've got my ram mount, and temporarily used the car mount that came with the n810 to hold it until I get an Aqua Box. I've attached some pics to give you all an idea of how it's going to look. One thing to notice is how good the display is in bright light. I've got 6, 23W compact fluorescents (like 600W of incandescent) right over the bike and the display reads really well. The transreflective screen on the n810 is sweet.

-B

Attachments

#84 ·
Beastwood - this is a really compelling mod and one that I would like to make if/when you are ready to post up instructions and sell the software application.

I've never done anything like this, but I'm eager to learn, acquire the components and try to install by myself.

Have you made any additional progress or discovered any additional data from the V-Rod bus?

Thanks for the Great Work,
Tony

#85 ·
Getting closer!

Thanks. I'm in the process now of setting up a website with complete instructions on how to build one of these for yourself. I've got a couple of beta testers out there who are helping me work out the kinks. I haven't discovered any additional data as of yet due to the fact that it's 0 (deg F) here and my bike is up for the long Canadian winter. I'm hoping the beta testers will acquire a bunch of data for me to analyze and hopefully discover other sensors to decode.

-B

#86 ·
Just curious as to how the screen looks in the sunlight. The V Gauge I had was useless during the day. It seems to be much brighter and the different colored displays should help. Never mind I just read post #83. NICE !

#87 ·
Just a follow-up. I took the display out into direct sunlight, if the sun is shining on the face of the n810 you can't see anything due to the reflective nature of the display membrane. Which is expected. However, in most other positions it's quite readable.

You can google n810 and read a ton of reviews about the readability of the screen.

Here's a pic...

Attachments

#88 ·
Can you not program the unit to change the screen colors to reflect daylight/nite times by either using the clock mode or a manual change to perform this ? It will help maybe to see in the daylight better.

#89 ·
The n810 has a built-in light meter which will brighten the screen in bright light and dim it in low light. (i.e. night). That's just for the back-lighting. I suspect that it can be programmatically disabled if desired. As for the colors. They are completely user configurable. Every item on the screen (except for the RPM meter and Idiot lights) can have it's own color. A good way to accomplish optimal viewing depending on lighting conditions would be to play around with what colors against what background yields the greatest contrast and then save those as different configurations. I could easily read the internal light meter and then select the appropriate configuration.

This is the kind of thing I'd like to play with once I can actually GET ON MY DAMN BIKE!!!! :banghead:

-B

#92 ·
Not sure how I missed this thread, but this is one BADAZ display! Whats the status on the DIY unit/plans?
I would LOVE to be able to have this on my iPhone, but if I have to get the device you are using, so be it.
My hat is off to you for the dedication and patience it takes for work like this.

#94 ·
I just stumbled on this thread and can't help but feel as if I've been under a rock! That's pretty fricken sweet to say the least!

#100 ·
#101 ·
Actually there are quite a few different OBD (on board diagnostic) applications for different hand-helds. However, they only interface to vehicles that are OBDII compliant. An industry standard that is well known and documented. The HD message protocol is proprietary and undocumented, so you have to spend many hours in front of your computer, connected to your bike, observing the raw data to "reverse engineer" what's going on on the bus. That's what long Canadian winters are for, aren't they? ;)

-Bob

#105 ·
Thanks. It's been a fun project, and the feature list keeps growing!

You could mount it permanently, the downside is that you'd be missing out on all the other features of the device. The n810 is a fully functional wifi enabled computer. (That happens to be 3x5 inches) You can browse the web, listen to music, watch movies, make skype calls, send/recv email, etc. That's a lot of functionality to leaving sitting in the garage. ;) And the n900 (Nokia's latest offering is also a quad-band phone.)
And remember, because it's wireless... it pops on and off the bike REALLY easily. When you stop somewhere you just take it out of it's mount and drop it into your pocket. Also, if you have multiple bikes you can move it from bike to bike as well.

If you want to read about all the current features check out this thread...
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133928
I started a new one when I put the diy website up.

As for ABS. If your bike is equipped you will get the little ABS light along with the other warning lights and it operates as expected. Spinedoc has a pocket dashboard and his 08 dx is ABS equipped.

-Bob

#110 ·
I'm assuming this will work on something like an Archos 70 Internet Tablet?

What sensor displays will NOT BE AVAILABLE on Stock (OEM) ECM's? I'm assuming that last screenshot you posted was of a TwinTec ECM?

Getting close to making the buy on this - trying to design a new fairing/windshield (actually, considering a "stretch" of the DX fairing - to keep the "look" and gain some additional functionality) to mount all my electronics under (and keep the wind off me a little)...

Rick

#115 ·
I noticed that the way that this is connected to the bike is with a Deutsch to DB9 cable to a obdII scantool. I have a ELM327 Bluetooth OBD-II bluetooth connector. Is there a way to to go from deutsch straight to a obd2 connector. If so can i make my own cable and what is the wiring map.

#117 ·
Wow!

#120 ·
heres a couple of pics of the p dash mounted how i want it finally ,and in its chromed amour box , sent it out to be stripped polished and chromed ,came up tops ,fits in nice with every thing else now ,forgot to take a pic from a distance to show how it stream lined in ,nd ive left it a tiny bit loose so i can tilt it or move it depending on the sun ,,

Attachments

#123 ·
Nice...

Definately will NOT be done by MWT6.

Have the fairing blank on order - 3 week lead time.

Have a "donor" DX fairing to cut the headlight mount out of, to glass into the new fairing (well, almost have one - still looking really).

After I get it fitted (and likely swap the bars for clip-ons, and make a new "riser" mount for the factory instrument cluster to get it lower), I'll likely build a "dashboard" under the windshield lip to hold the Archos and mount my Radar Detector display and some other stuff. Really need to have the fairing in-hand to go any further though.

So, for now - I just get to "enjoy the ride", as all my other "plotted" mods are contingent on how the fairing thing works out...

Rick

#122 ·
Usually software is covered under COPYRIGHT laws, not patent.

I'm sure the PATENT for the data stream on ECM's has already been covered years ago.

All these cool little lawsuits by Apple and many others are primarily copyright and DMCA violations.

Patents are WAY TOO EXPENSIVE to obtain, unless we're talking multi-millions in potential sales to protect. Copyright is relatively simple to enforce.

Rick

#127 ·
Awesome deal!

For anyone interested in making their own OBD2 to Deutsch cable you can follow the instructions on the DIY site.

http://users.eastlink.ca/~reastwood/MobileDisplay/HowTo.html#Assembling the Datalink Cable

FYI, after following a thread (http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152142) on the EFI group I added the following to PDash. Basically it allows you to observe the # of samples you've recorded at each Throttle Position/RPM combination in real-time. This is for riders with MasterTune like devices where you need to have a good sample set to create your maps.

-Bob

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.