Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Sigh... My 2011 VRSCDX is no more

1K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  tekhen 
#1 ·
All...

Sad to say, I was hit on my NightRod in August. Happy to say that I am able to share the story!

Unfortunately, a SUV and their driver decided to run a light and parted me from my bike.

I spent the last several months in the hospital and am able to walk and have the use of my hands once again. Still going through therapy to get back to 100%. I will get there!

Lessons learned... wear your lid 100% of the time. The Ti in my face tells you why.

I will be back riding once I get myself back to normal though!

To all, be careful of people in cages.

#6 ·
I'm glad that you are still here to post this. Wishing you a full, and speedy recovery!
The bike can be replaced.

#10 ·
Ye-e-e-ow! I'm always amazed at the number of riders who don't wear helmets. I know it's a personal choice - I'm cool with that - but it's a BAD personal choice.
My helmet saved my life when I crashed doing about 90 mph on the infield at Daytona International Speedway in October (knocked out for about 5 minutes I'm told. Still healing, too, but not as hurt as you) and another lid saved me literally a year earlier when I highsided at another track.
To me, wearing a lid - and as much body armor as I can in a given situation - is part of our sport and akin to wearing a cup when you play catcher in a baseball game (which was my position).
I have lost several lidless riding buddies in accidents. But they knew the risks they were taking.

#12 ·
I've been down twice. First time wearing a fullface lid, open finger gloves and armored jacket. It tore my jeans to shreds and I had road rash over my entire leg. The asphalt also burned off the tip of my little finger. Then I decided to also wear full gloves and mesh armored pants. The next time I went down I didn't suffer a scratch but was plenty sore. Proper riding apparel is essential - unless you like pain and therapy. I'm a pretty good rider, have had my share of track time, but the variables when riding on the street are endless and will eventually catch up to you. Unless you like to suffer - wear the gear!

Your accident sounds like every riders nightmare - broadsided by an SUV. Pain meds these days are pretty remarkable and I hope they help you towards a full recovery. THX for sharing.

#13 ·
I am so sorry to hear of your crash. I am glad you made it and are on your way to recovery. I hope you get back on a bike soon, and applaud your willingness to do so. I have not gone without a helmet in many years, as you cannot plan for a crash, you just have to be ready at all times. Heal quickly

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.